new lens annoucement XCD 4/28 P

Previous topic - Next topic

Orokaj

Quote from: Larsb on August 25, 2023, 02:51:22 PM
You guys are lucky.  I'm still waiting to hear when we will get some in Australia.   I will be keen to hear what you think of the lens

Do you know the price yet in AUD?
Jakoro
Jack Xu

David Mantripp

Got mine this morning. Ordered yesterday pm. Thanks to the usual fabulous service from FotoMarlin people in Basel Switzerland.

Sadly I have non-negotiable garden duties to complete before The Management allows me to unpack it   8)

MGrayson

Quote from: PaulMcB on August 26, 2023, 10:10:17 PM
I received mine yesterday. First early thoughts on the lens as an X1D II / XCD30 user are:

1. Super compact, light, well designed metal finish and perfect for the camera.
2. Image quality is very good but not XCD30 good (or 45P for that matter, which is surprising but it's early days)
3. Vignetting appears more pronounced although this can be corrected in post.
4. Faster focusing and super quiet shutter. This is the "wow" factor.
5. The extra 1/2 stop and larger optics of XCD30 mean it's not as versatile.

No regrets, it's a keeper. The form factor, price and mechanicals mean this will go everywhere once I figure out how to get the most from the lens - manual settings (only) appear to be the way to go, at least for now until the inevitable firmware update turns up to iron out some minor nits.

Thank you for your impressions. The XCD 28 that I carry with me is a better lens than the XCD 30 that I leave at home. Mine arrives Wednesday.  :)

JoeC

Quote from: PaulMcB on August 26, 2023, 10:10:17 PM
I received mine yesterday. First early thoughts on the lens as an X1D II / XCD30 user are:

1. Super compact, light, well designed metal finish and perfect for the camera.
2. Image quality is very good but not XCD30 good (or 45P for that matter, which is surprising but it's early days)
3. Vignetting appears more pronounced although this can be corrected in post.
4. Faster focusing and super quiet shutter. This is the "wow" factor.
5. The extra 1/2 stop and larger optics of XCD30 mean it's not as versatile.

No regrets, it's a keeper. The form factor, price and mechanicals mean this will go everywhere once I figure out how to get the most from the lens - manual settings (only) appear to be the way to go, at least for now until the inevitable firmware update turns up to iron out some minor nits.

Thanks, Paul. I received mine this morning from B&H. I don't have the XCD 30mm (although I've owned at least two of them before) so I won't be making comparisons to that lens. For me, if the stopped down IQ for landscape and travel photography is in the "good enough" zone, I'm satisfied.

Joe

David Mantripp

Well I've just tried mine out (on X1DII) and it's very impressive. Autofocus is fast and precise as any of the other XCD lenses I have, and it is unbelievably quiet (I've never seen or used a V lens, maybe those are equally quiet).  Close focus ability will make it very versatile. Build quality seems really excellent, and on a more trivial side, the packaging and presentation is easily the equal of the earlier XCD lenses. It really feels like a luxury product.

Now to see if it can challenge my Ricoh GR3 for camera bag space.

wild-light-xpan

...and the image quality? You never mentioned that!  :)

flash

Quote from: Orokaj on August 26, 2023, 10:24:24 PM
You guys are lucky.  I'm still waiting to hear when we will get some in Australia.   I will be keen to hear what you think of the lens

I paid AUD2920.00. Delivery in about two weeks.

Gordon

Orokaj

Quote from: flash on August 27, 2023, 09:00:19 AM

Gordon

Ah I see, thanks Gordon,
Unfortunately our shops here have no connections with D1( yet ) so we are in the dark...

Have scored on from US though for about the same
Jakoro
Jack Xu

pdprinter

ordered it on the 24th form HB and got it this afternoon. Very silent shutter almost one doesn't now if one pressed the shutter release. Have to play with it more!

FoleyAMG

Just received my 28P today...mounted it to the X2D and wow...super impressed, fast focus and appears to be tack sharp...only took a couple pics inside my studio...will try to shoot some test shots later today/tomorrow. Also mounted in my 907x and also impressed...

First negative, I miss the manual focus ring on the lens like the 38v and 55v but...it is a viable tradeoff given the price.

Anyways...more to come...

flash

Quote from: Orokaj on August 27, 2023, 01:05:08 PM
Quote from: flash on August 27, 2023, 09:00:19 AM

Gordon

Ah I see, thanks Gordon,
Unfortunately our shops here have no connections with D1( yet ) so we are in the dark...

Have scored on from US though for about the same

You'll get yours faster than I will. I did order from the US but cancelled as I want to build a relationship with D1 here. Hopefully I'll get it before I leave for Mongolia next month.

If you want a contact at D1 directly, let me know.

Gordon

Larsb

I put a deposit on one with CameraPro - the price is $2910.  I'm still waiting to hear when it will be available

Lars
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

morgangold

woo hoo - maybe some sweet used prices on 21mm coming soon

Iceman1331

Quote from: morgangold on August 28, 2023, 04:57:12 PM
woo hoo - maybe some sweet used prices on 21mm coming soon
I am holding on my 21 mm even though I will receive the new 28 mm tomorrow. I would think the used price for the 30 mm may go down because people want to sell their 30 mm and buy the new 28 mm which is less expensive, lighter, more portable and hopefully similar/better performance like the other xcd lenses.

Georg Kovalcik

I do not think the XCD 28P is a replacement for the XCD 30. The 28P is a lot more compact, lighter and without doubt a fine lens. Nevertheless the (twice as expensive) XCD 30 is the more optically advanced lens.
Personally I decided to buy the XCD 30 yesterday and not the 28P.