new lens annoucement XCD 4/28 P

Previous topic - Next topic

Thyl

Talking about optics, I wonder if we will ever see:
-a tilt shift adapter for H lenses
-a tele zoom 100-280 mm
-a more intelligent adapter allowing also older H lenses to be used with AF function.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Thyl on September 01, 2023, 06:51:54 PM

The HTS is precisely that and I have one, a bunch of H lenses and . What you probably meant to say was XCD lenses.

-a tele zoom 100-280 mm

Not before we get AF-C (continuous auto focus) -- I have the HC 4.5/300 and while it is greatly improved with the X2D over the X1D/X1Dii - it really needs to include in lens stabilisation as well, but the biggest issue after weight (it is a monster) is the fact that without AF-C one is challenged to keep moving (even  relatively slow moving) subjects in focus.

-a more intelligent adapter allowing also older H lenses to be used with AF function.
The adapters are fine - if you want them to AF you just need HC/HCD lenses that can accept the autofocus commands from the camera and this means the right hardware in the lenses and firmware 18 (or 19.1).

Almost any previous lens can be mounted with existing adapters on the X2D - but only a few can be shot with AF or electronic data pass through and this means that leaf shutters in older and non-H lenses cannot be used.

So when you say intelligent - when the adapter is simply a hollow tube with electrical connections at each end  - what precisely are you seeking?   

wild-light-xpan

Looks like the 28p is now back in stock at some UK distributors at least. I'm told that after this batch has sold out there won't be more available until March 2024. I have no idea how accurate this date is but with Hasselblad being Hasselblad... I wouldn't be surprised.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on September 02, 2023, 02:23:11 AM
Looks like the 28p is now back in stock at some UK distributors at least. I'm told that after this batch has sold out there won't be more available until March 2024. I have no idea how accurate this date is but with Hasselblad being Hasselblad... I wouldn't be surprised.
I am still waiting for mine to be delivered.

wild-light-xpan

Ordered mine from Robert White and they said today that it should be delivered early next week.

Fedro

was lucky to get mine, I like it a lot, perfect for urban environments - I traded in my 30 which I loved but did not use that much anymore for landscape since I got the 35-75

6X6Miles

I ordered mine from the Hasselblad Store within 5 minutes of the announcement, got it Tuesday. I tend to favor not so wide lenses for landscape work, love my 45P, XCD65, 100 CFI and 180 CFI for this work so I was in no hurry to get the 30mm.

I did get a good, well centered copy and it is plenty sharp for the X2D. Overall, I am very happy with this lens as it takes up very little room in the bag and weighs next to nothing. I did order regular plastic front and rear caps for it though, the ones that came with it add 65grams and are a bit fiddly with gloves.

Larsb

Does anyone know when the 28/P will be available in Australia?   I placed a deposit on one here, but still no word on timing from the shop I went thru
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

flash

Quote from: Larsb on September 02, 2023, 11:48:01 AM
Does anyone know when the 28/P will be available in Australia?   I placed a deposit on one here, but still no word on timing from the shop I went thru

According to D1, around the 10th of Sept (ish) is when the first batch lands. I'm hoping to have before I fly out on the 14th but I think it's unlikely. Probably should have kept that B&H order......

I'll shoot my contact an email during the week to see if there's a more definitative time/date.

Gordon

SrMi

Camera West seems to have XCD 28mm in stock.
I was surprised how B&H was able to deliver the lens so early.

Shige

I got the XCD28P when delivery started in Japan. It is a very compact lens and the AF speed is adequate :).
I have only taken a few shots, but so far I have not noticed any suspicious light when backlit without the hood.

In the near future I will add a page for XCD28mm.
https://shige-art.net/en/category/photo/hasselblad/

Orokaj

got my 28p today, very fast focus acquisition with little to none hunt.

Lens is short and compact, to further reduce the weight, one can buy an after market lens cap =D
Jakoro
Jack Xu

Thyl

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 01, 2023, 09:33:37 PM

The HTS is precisely that and I have one, a bunch of H lenses and . What you probably meant to say was XCD lenses.

-a tele zoom 100-280 mm

Not before we get AF-C (continuous auto focus) -- I have the HC 4.5/300 and while it is greatly improved with the X2D over the X1D/X1Dii - it really needs to include in lens stabilisation as well, but the biggest issue after weight (it is a monster) is the fact that without AF-C one is challenged to keep moving (even  relatively slow moving) subjects in focus.

The adapters are fine - if you want them to AF you just need HC/HCD lenses that can accept the autofocus commands from the camera and this means the right hardware in the lenses and firmware 18 (or 19.1).

Almost any previous lens can be mounted with existing adapters on the X2D - but only a few can be shot with AF or electronic data pass through and this means that leaf shutters in older and non-H lenses cannot be used.

So when you say intelligent - when the adapter is simply a hollow tube with electrical connections at each end  - what precisely are you seeking?

Not sure how to use the quoting system here, so I append this on the end:

-The HTS adapter is not what I was talking about, since it inevitably is also a tele converter, and it does not attach to X cameras (so, 2 adapters needed). I am talking about an adapter without any expensive optics in it, with a mount for H lenses on the front end, and a mount for X bodies on the rear end.

-tele zoom: yeah, probably right, though I note that there was a time when such lenses were built without any autofocus in them, and still people were able to use them.

-better HX adapter: "just need" is exactly the problem. The new electronics with the larger firmware memory have been introduced in 2016, so all lenses built prior to that, i.e. from 2002 to 2016, have no AF functionality, despite the fact that they are AF lenses. Which probably means like 90-95 percent of all H lenses have no AF function on X system cameras. I suggest an adapter that translates the X AF commands into a format that the older H lenses understand and will execute. The existing adapter apparently (see it's price) is merely an electrical pass through, so that the "intelligence" has to be added to the lenses. Why Hasselblad favoured this approach, I don't know. And I also don't know why nobody questioned this decision.

wild-light-xpan

Back in stock on the Hasselblad store as of this morning, it seems.

Andy Miller Photo UK