new lens annoucement XCD 4/28 P

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulMcB

Super solid analysis here. This was my day 1 'feel'. For those using the 45P on the X1D Mk II - is your experience with this lens that it frames images a lot 'cleaner' (I.e. with less vignetting) than the 28P through the LCD or LiveView - as well as with the final image?

Andy Miller Photo UK

A "full set" of test shots of a test target 520mm / ~20" from the sensor with the XCD 4/28P from at various apertures and with various processing treatments.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAVQMo

Note - JPG, RAW and fully processed in LRC not Phocus - fully processed used DxO PureRaw 3 AND also JPG from Phocus with same WB adjustment and tiny keystone correction.

All have tiny white balance and exposure correction to land the 20% gray patch to be ~R 80:G 80:B 80 (give or take) and tiny auto transform/keystone corrections applied to address tiny miss alignment by me.

Phocus 3.7.5 for mac applied adaptive lens corrections, which did address minor barrel distortion.

The of the in-camera JPG shot at f/4, which shows colour/brightness values of R 68.4, G 68.1, B 71.3 near the bottom right corner.   

stephanbruehl

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 25, 2023, 01:30:47 AM
Phocus 3.7.5 for mac - does not list it supports the XCD 4/28P (does not have a profile for the XCD 4/28P) yet but I chose to let Phocus apply adaptive lens corrections, which did address minor barrel distortion.
Yes, it supports the XCD 4/28P. Just scroll down in the Readme file to the 3rd page:

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: stephanbruehl on September 25, 2023, 11:49:39 PM
Phocus 3.7.5 for mac - does not list it supports the XCD 4/28P (does not have a profile for the XCD 4/28P) yet but I chose to let Phocus apply adaptive lens corrections, which did address minor barrel distortion.
Yes, it supports the XCD 4/28P. Just scroll down in the Readme file to the 3rd page:
Noted — that will teach me to just read the headlines and it explains why the images from Phocus look good edge to edge

MSuser

Phocus 3.7.5 for mac applied adaptive lens corrections, which did address minor barrel distortion.

If you're still in the mood for more reading, there is only one lens correction which has an Adaptive option which is Chromatic Aberration. You can find more detailed information regarding the Chromatic Aberration options on Page 57 of the current Phocus User Guide.

The of the in-camera JPG shot at f/4, which shows colour/brightness values of R 68.4, G 68.1, B 71.3 near the bottom right corner.

Please note there are no lens corrections with Hasselblad in-camera JPG images. Lens corrections are applied to Hasselblad image files in editing software.

MSuser

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 09, 2023, 03:53:16 AM
Quote from: fh29 on September 08, 2023, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: 6X6Miles on September 08, 2023, 06:41:02 AM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on September 08, 2023, 04:44:41 AM
Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 08, 2023, 04:40:06 AM
Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 08, 2023, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 07, 2023, 08:24:17 PMable to correct a possible magenta cast

What magenta cast -- I own this lens and have used it with my X2D - there is NO colour cast.

Some people observed and reported it on the GetDPI forum. There are pictures posted showing it. It seems however that the last version of Phocus allows to correct it, if any.
The reported cast came not from the lens, but from a Phocus software bug

That is incorrect. It is showing on jpegs out of camera so it is an issue that needs to be resolved with either a FW update in the lens, the camera or both.
Agreed, this needs a body firmware update for the 50 mpx sensor models. The lens is probably under-corrected with non-BSI sensors.
People familiar with wide angle lenses used on tech cam with ccd or non-bsi cmos sensors know this effect and its workaround well (LCC, scene calibration, flat field correction tools).
I guess HB will promptly deliver a fix.
I generally only shoot RAW but this time saved RAW and JPG -- several issues:

-- JPG in camera lens distortion/vignetting corrections seemed poor - this is with the latest FW in both X2D and Lens. I attach an example of the manual distortion and vignetting correction needed in LRC to "square up" the image". Obviously Phocus does not allow Lens Corrections to be applied to JPG images.

As mentioned in the post above... there are no lens corrections with Hasselblad in-camera JPG images. Lens corrections are only applied to Hasselblad raw image files when imported into editing software.

-- there were noticeable slight differences in the colour results when comparing JPG, TIFF (from Phocus), DXO Pure Raw 3 raw conversions and LRC -- using a HC 4/28 as as the source of Lens Corrections in the last 2 cases). But no significant colour cast in any of them.

The only thing the XCD 28P lens and HCD 28mm lens designs have in common is a nominal focal length. Everything else regarding the two lens designs is different. You may get better results with no lens profile than from applying the wrong lens profile.

Larsb

Hi Australian Hasselbladers, has anyone either heard when the XCD 28 P will be available in Australia or have you actually got one?  I heard from a store here that it would be available in the 3rd week of September, but it was a no-show.

thanks,

Lars
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

flash

Quote from: Larsb on September 26, 2023, 12:48:54 PM
Hi Australian Hasselbladers, has anyone either heard when the XCD 28 P will be available in Australia or have you actually got one?  I heard from a store here that it would be available in the 3rd week of September, but it was a no-show.

thanks,

Lars

I received a serial number and shipping number yesterday from D1 Stores. I'm OS at the moment but expect it will be waiting at home for me in a day or two. I was no. 1 on the wait list in Oz.

Gordon

Larsb

You are lucky Gordon, hope you enjoy it when your receive it.  I placed an order via another store on the day of the announcement, but it keeps getting delayed again.   Did you go directly to the D1 store to place the order in person?   I keep checking their website but there is never any mention of them being an Australian distributor of Hasselblad and I can't find any links to Hasselblad on their site.

thanks,

Lars

flash

Quote from: Larsb on September 26, 2023, 07:10:53 PM
You are lucky Gordon, hope you enjoy it when your receive it.  I placed an order via another store on the day of the announcement, but it keeps getting delayed again.   Did you go directly to the D1 store to place the order in person?   I keep checking their website but there is never any mention of them being an Australian distributor of Hasselblad and I can't find any links to Hasselblad on their site.

thanks,

Lars

I have a direct contact. Happy to share details if you want. I also have my first in line order in for the 90mm direct from them.

And yes, they need to sort out the website stuff ASAP.

Gordon

Larsb

Quote from: flash on September 26, 2023, 08:25:47 PM
Quote from: Larsb on September 26, 2023, 07:10:53 PM

thanks,

Lars

I have a direct contact. Happy to share details if you want. I also have my first in line order in for the 90mm direct from them.

And yes, they need to sort out the website stuff ASAP.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon.   I'm off to Adelaide for a few days early next month and I am still holding out hope that the 28mm lens will come thru before then, but the timing is getting a little bit tight now.

cheers,

Lars

Larsb

It looks like my XCD 28mm P and a spare battery should be delivered to me tomorrow, so looking forward to trying it out "in the field" next week