new lens annoucement XCD 4/28 P

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

Mine arrived from Parks today and all is good.

"TINY LENS" - looks great to me out of the box and works great on the X2D-100C (FW 2.0.1) after upgrading firmware from v1.4.0 to v1.4.1

Just time to take a few quick shots to test all is good. 1st shot wide open, 2nd for a few feet with a speedlight.
Hopefully I will have time to use this tomorrow on a short walk in early morning light.

For the avoidance of doubt -- no quality issues at all - the lens is entirely as expected -- a very nice piece of well crafted glass in a nice housing. Nice leather pouch as well. Same XCD box and packing as all the other XCD lenses I own.

I do not know who is spreading lousy rumours about the quality of this lens or the other two new lenses -- well idiots I own them all and they are all great. How about you get hold of them and actually use them before laying down trash talk.

I have placed more photos  here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjATGVY (downsampled) and https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjATPqS (full sized)

Larsb

I heard from CameraPro (store in Australia) that the 28P will be available in Australia by the 3rd week of September.  A bit of a longer wait for Australian customers, but very much looking forward to getting one.
Cheers,
Lars.
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

JCM-Photos

Each lens model is different has another rendering, XCD's are very close but they have differences for example for far and close subjects, in harsh light etc.

Each photographer can be able to prefer one rendering over another and some others can prefer the opposite, this doesn't mean that one of them is wrong.

I own the two 45mm, I prefer the rendering of the older, but keep the 45P when compactness is needed and when I am not searching for the balanced micro-sharpness of the older 45.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

wild-light-xpan

I've just tried mine and WOW, I really Am very impressed with everything about this lens. The build, the weight, and most importantly the image quality. It is very sharp across the board. Very impressive all round.

More of this please Hasselblad!

tenmangu81

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on September 07, 2023, 07:38:53 AM
I've just tried mine and WOW, I really Am very impressed with everything about this lens. The build, the weight, and most importantly the image quality. It is very sharp across the board. Very impressive all round.

Hi,
It seems working quite well with an X2D, or with an X1D/907X once developed using the last version of Phocus, able to correct a possible magenta cast.
Which camera and software did you use ?
Thanks
Robert

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 07, 2023, 08:24:17 PMable to correct a possible magenta cast

What magenta cast -- I own this lens and have used it with my X2D - there is NO colour cast.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 08, 2023, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 07, 2023, 08:24:17 PMable to correct a possible magenta cast

What magenta cast -- I own this lens and have used it with my X2D - there is NO colour cast.

Some people observed and reported it on the GetDPI forum. There are pictures posted showing it. It seems however that the last version of Phocus allows to correct it, if any.
Robert

JCM-Photos

Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 08, 2023, 04:40:06 AM

Some people observed and reported it on the GetDPI forum. There are pictures posted showing it. It seems however that the last version of Phocus allows to correct it, if any.
The reported cast came not from the lens, but from a Phocus software bug

JCM-Photos

Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 07, 2023, 08:24:17 PM
Quote from: wild-light-xpan on September 07, 2023, 07:38:53 AM

Hi,
It seems working quite well with an X2D, or with an X1D/907X once developed using the last version of Phocus, able to correct a possible magenta cast.
Which camera and software did you use ?
Thanks
You cannot place X1D and 907X on the same level

The 907X belongs to to the X1DII in what is system compatibility

The X1D has no more firmware updates and is not compatible with some XCD V type lenses functions
The X1DII and 907X were recently updated and are compatible

6X6Miles

Quote from: JCM-Photos on September 08, 2023, 04:44:41 AM

That is incorrect. It is showing on jpegs out of camera so it is an issue that needs to be resolved with either a FW update in the lens, the camera or both.

tenmangu81

Could be.
Robert

Iceman1331

[/quote]
The X1D has no more firmware updates and is not compatible with some XCD V type lenses functions

That is incorrect. It is showing on jpegs out of camera so it is an issue that needs to be resolved with either a FW update in the lens, the camera or both.
[/quote]

Can anyone else confirm that HB has abandoned any X1D firmware updates after they announced the X1DII and 907X bodies? If that was true, pretty soon HB might do the same for other X cameras once they announce any newer camera bodies in the future, and leave all those with older models emptied handed?

Ikarus

Quote from: Iceman1331 on September 08, 2023, 11:56:54 AM

[/quote]

Can anyone else confirm that HB has abandoned any X1D firmware updates after they announced the X1DII and 907X bodies? If that was true, pretty soon HB might do the same for other X cameras once they announce any newer camera bodies in the future, and leave all those with older models emptied handed?
[/quote]

If it works, why do you need an update?

fh29

Quote from: 6X6Miles on September 08, 2023, 06:41:02 AM

Agreed, this needs a body firmware update for the 50 mpx sensor models. The lens is probably under-corrected with non-BSI sensors.
People familiar with wide angle lenses used on tech cam with ccd or non-bsi cmos sensors know this effect and its workaround well (LCC, scene calibration, flat field correction tools).
I guess HB will promptly deliver a fix.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: fh29 on September 08, 2023, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: 6X6Miles on September 08, 2023, 06:41:02 AM

Agreed, this needs a body firmware update for the 50 mpx sensor models. The lens is probably under-corrected with non-BSI sensors.
People familiar with wide angle lenses used on tech cam with ccd or non-bsi cmos sensors know this effect and its workaround well (LCC, scene calibration, flat field correction tools).
I guess HB will promptly deliver a fix.
I generally only shoot RAW but this time saved RAW and JPG -- several issues:

-- JPG in camera lens distortion/vignetting corrections seemed poor - this is with the latest FW in both X2D and Lens. I attach an example of the manual distortion and vignetting correction needed in LRC to "square up" the image". Obviously Phocus does not allow Lens Corrections to be applied to JPG images.

-- there were noticeable slight differences in the colour results when comparing JPG, TIFF (from Phocus), DXO Pure Raw 3 raw conversions and LRC -- using a HC 4/28 as as the source of Lens Corrections in the last 2 cases). But no significant colour cast in any of them.