Hasselblad support in Capture One

Previous topic - Next topic

Middle2023

I hope Capture One will support Hasselblad files soon. There is no better RAW converter. Until then I use Phocus for the basic adjustments and when I need more I convert to Capture One or Photoshop (TIFF).

Happy new Year

SrMi

Quote from: Middle2023 on January 07, 2023, 07:50:23 PM
I hope Capture One will support Hasselblad files soon. There is no better RAW converter. Until then I use Phocus for the basic adjustments and when I need more I convert to Capture One or Photoshop (TIFF).

Happy new Year

Well, whether there is no better raw converter is debatable (and has been debated ad nauseam).
Once, hopefully, C1 adds Hasselblad support, you may still want to go via Phocus to extract the most out of your files.

JCM-Photos

Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on January 08, 2023, 05:56:58 AM
Once, hopefully, C1 adds Hasselblad support, you may still want to go via Phocus to extract the most out of your files.

Well, I am not yet convinced..... I don't know the kitchen Phocus makes with the colours and HNCS when exporting, but it works very well with Capture One. My .dng's as exported from Phocus and opened in Capture One give me EXACTLY the same colours as my TIFF's exported from Phocus as read in Capture One, in the 3 colour spaces I have checked : Adobe RGB 98, Prophoto and sRGB. I am very surprised and don't know why, but I am very happy with Capture One by now, even if sometimes I go back to Phocus just to have a look at the result I could obtain. Not better than Capture One, anyway. The only thing I miss is a good printing module in Capture One.
Weird, isn't it ?
Robert

JCM-Photos

Software printing modules I know have all bad ergonomics compared to Canon (print studio pro) or Epson (Epson print layout) manufacturer printing modules.

I only use "Epson Print Layout" software with my Epson printer, in place of Capture One, Photoshop, Affinity, Phocus printing functions.

Live is so easy with Epson print layout having a real WYSIWYG printing preview including reliable margins preview and management, real time native soft proofing, semi automatic batch printing ...
For example, in case of a printing profile choice error, that can happen when you have dozens aper profiles on your computer, you notice it immediately in the preview before starting to print (colors shift in the preview)
You even see in the preview rendering differences between different paper types ! Of course this only works well with a perfect tuned high end monitor.

Middle2023

How do you export the file from Phocus to C1? When I select "DNG" in Phocus, I still cannot import to "C1". However, Tiff does not work DNG.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Middle2023 on January 09, 2023, 03:58:01 AM
How do you export the file from Phocus to C1? When I select "DNG" in Phocus, I still cannot import to "C1". However, Tiff does not work DNG.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/12/18/my-journey-with-the-hasselblad-x1d-by-ettore-causa/

;)
Robert

JCM-Photos

Very "amateurish" look these C1 images !

way oversharpened
oversaturated
no tonal richness

tenmangu81

Yes, but this depends upon the quality of the photographer, the post-processing that has been done, etc.... Nothing to do with the given recipe for opening Blad images using C1.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on January 09, 2023, 05:34:39 AM
Quote from: Middle2023 on January 09, 2023, 03:58:01 AM

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/12/18/my-journey-with-the-hasselblad-x1d-by-ettore-causa/

;)

You export to DNG, hack the EXIF data, and still cannot apply camera-specific color profiles and lens corrections (vignetting and distortion).

JCM-Photos

I hate the default rendering of C1, despite I have to use it for my leica RAW's.
But it works very fine on Phase One RAW's because you can choose in a whole bunch of different default renderings (camera profiles)

I know some people who swear on C1 for their Nikon RAW's, and when I ask : how can you ? they answer : I have my own dedicated camera profile 😄

With Phocus I don't have to do extensive corrections, it is always perfect. Biggest duty is to enter manually lens and shooting datas when using V lenses to activate the unique lens corrections.

tenmangu81

Camera color profile is kept, I don't know how and why, as I can obtain in Capture One exactly the same colours as in Phocus for three different colour spaces I have checked. And the same when I compare colors between a .fff file in Phocus and the same file converted to .dng and opened in Capture One. Once again, I don't know how and why, but what imports to me is the result, not only checked by eyes, but also with an eyedropper.

As far as lens corrections are concerned, I agree that the extensive corrections made in Phocus, taking into account the focus distance and the aperture are not possible with Capture One, but I have made my own preset and I get almost the same correction. Actually, I can't really see by eyes the difference between my lens corrections preset (distortion and vignetting) and the corrections made within Phocus. The only problem I have is with my XCD45P, as it has a pincushion distortion, that Capture One can't correct.

Once again, only the result is important to me, and it is at the same level as the one I can get with Phocus. Furthermore, I am used to Capture One and its very performing tools, and its catalogue, that I personnally need.

And finally, as I don't know what Capture One would do when implementing HB files (if they ever do), I prefer to keep my workflow, that I am very happy with !!
Robert

tenmangu81

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 09, 2023, 08:33:17 AM
I know some people who swear on C1 for their Nikon RAW's, and when I ask : how can you ? they answer : I have my own dedicated camera profile 😄

With Phocus I don't have to do extensive corrections, it is always perfect. Biggest duty is to enter manually lens and shooting datas when using V lenses to activate the unique lens corrections.

Yes, it is well known that some Nikon camera profiles are very bad in Capture One, and people had to make their own profile. I had a customized profile for my Leica, too.... This is the reason why I won't trust very much Capture One if they ever make their software to be able to open Blad files !!

With Capture One, I don't have to make extensive corrections : my X1D II files are almost perfect when opening (from the technical point of view !!). I would say that I have to make almost nothing, and I am very happy with this.
Robert

David Mantripp

Note, the question of Hasselblad support came up in the recent interview by Paul Reiffer of Capture One's CEO, on Paul's YouTube channel.

Let's say the reply was not exactly overwhelmingly positive.

tenmangu81

If so, with Capture One's new commercial policy encouraging subscription, it might be necessary to look for another solution...
Robert