Hasselblad support in Capture One

Previous topic - Next topic

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on April 06, 2023, 05:07:35 AM
Quote from: SrMi on April 06, 2023, 03:56:20 AM
Capture One does not fully support M and SL cameras (crop and LPC). AFAIK only Adobe software does.

I've had a M9 and a M240, and I've never seen any issue with the crops. What do you mean by LPC : LCC or lens corrections ? Lens corrections are not that bad. I haven't use LCC very often, and thus I don't know about this tool. Could you give some examples, and I'll try ? Thanks.

LPC is Leica Perspective Control. Here is an article about it:
https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/01/leica-perspective-control-for-m10-r-m10-p-and-m10m/

It is available in M10P and later and in SL2/SL2-S.

Q2 and SL2 embed crop instructions (1:1, 35mm, 50mm) that should generate a default crop when the raw is imported.

hcubell

Quote from: paulcalver on April 06, 2023, 08:24:01 AM
Quote from: hcubell on April 06, 2023, 07:47:52 AM
Even if Capture One were to be opened up to Hasselblad files, what are the chances that Phase One would work effectively and reliably with Hasselblad so that the conversion of those files in Capture One would be competitive with Phocus (or even LR)?

It may sounds shallow, but I'm not sure this would bother me at all, I just need to have them be compatible for an on set workflow.  Once the 'live' shoot is over, I can take those files into any RAW conversion software for the final output.

Understood.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on April 06, 2023, 12:38:24 PM

LPC is Leica Perspective Control. Here is an article about it:
https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/01/leica-perspective-control-for-m10-r-m10-p-and-m10m/

It is available in M10P and later and in SL2/SL2-S.

Q2 and SL2 embed crop instructions (1:1, 35mm, 50mm) that should generate a default crop when the raw is imported.

Ah yes, I remember that and saw it when the M10 and M11 were released. As I quit with my M240, I didn't check this opportunity with Capture One. And, indeed, we couldn't predict how Capture would manage the HB files in case it would.
Robert

tenmangu81

Quote from: tenmangu81 on April 05, 2023, 09:43:05 PM
I have a contact with a French member of the commercial staff in Sweden, and I will ask her.

No answer from her by now  :(
Robert

paulcalver

No problem, I've been reaching out to both C1 and Hasselblad but mostly to deads so far... I'll keep trying.

paulcalver

I've just found a work around to shoot tethered to Capture One with my X2D, although should work for all Hasselblad Cameras:

- Set up a Capture One session
- Open Phocus and connect your camera to shoot tethered
- Shoot 1 file and then export this as a DNG to a folder which is within your Capture One session inside the Captures folder
- Now you've exported one file to correct folder, you can enable the 'Export New Images Automatically' option in Phocus. 

Now for the import and slightly tech part. 

- Install exifTool https://exiftool.org (follow their instructions)
- Open MacOS Automator and create a new Folder Action.
- Set the folder you want to monitor as the "Folder" input in the "Folder Action receives files and folders added to" dropdown menu. This is the folder you made inside Capture One in which the DNG files are being exported to.
- Add a "Run Shell Script" action to the workflow.
- In the "Run Shell Script" action, set the Shell dropdown to "/bin/bash".
- In the text field, enter the following command:

for f in "$@"
do
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -MakerNotes= "$f"
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -Make=HB "$f"
done

Save the workflow and enable the folder action.

Screen shot of the automator action attached.

There's a fairly long lag, about 8-10 seconds, but it will import the DNG files directly into Capture One.

Hope this helps some of you while we wait for an official integration.

P

paulcalver

You can make it faster with a slight tweak in the automator script:

for f in "$@"
do
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -MakerNotes= -Make=HB "$f"
done

tenmangu81

Robert

Bob Foster

It is indeed unlikely that Capture One will provide support for Hasselblad raw files, cameras and lenses.

Here is a link to an official statement on this subject from Capture One: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/10297394968989-Hasselblad-X2D

Bob

JCM-Photos

I am also a long term Capture One user since release 3, and in my opinion they sold their soul to the devil ! ! !

Their image rendedering got more and more in direction of what want the big amateurs community with oversharpened, overcontrasted, oversaturated default renderings. This was not the case in the past.
They do it for all compatible camera brands except for their own. When I open a Phase One file it appears perfect on the gecko ! (and there are also many more profiles to fine tune these Phase One files).

All professionals I know turn down there default serttings with a personal profile at import, then it's OK.

When opening a Hasselblad file in Phocus it turns out to be perfect with minimal to no correction, this is for me a huge advantage.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Whitten

I like Phocus. It is missing a lot of features that you need, like an effective spot removal (the Phocus one is absolutely terrible), being able to fix blemishes on portraits, being able to remove an object just in the frame if it spoils an otherwise fantastic image. So professional X series users seem to export to Photoshop.
I've been a Capture One user for over ten years and although I'm happy to use Phocus, can't really get my head around Photoshop and I dislike Lightroom.
I asked CO a couple of weeks ago if they would support the Hasselblad files and (as mentioned several times already) they replied not at this time.

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 02, 2024, 07:02:12 PMI am also a long term Capture One user since release 3, and in my opinion they sold their soul to the devil ! ! !

Their image rendedering got more and more in direction of what want the big amateurs community with oversharpened, overcontrasted, oversaturated default renderings. This was not the case in the past.
They do it for all compatible camera brands except for their own. When I open a Phase One file it appears perfect on the gecko ! (and there are also many more profiles to fine tune these Phase One files).

All professionals I know turn down there default serttings with a personal profile at import, then it's OK.

When opening a Hasselblad file in Phocus it turns out to be perfect with minimal to no correction, this is for me a huge advantage.
Many seem to judge a post processor by the initial "unprocessed" rendering. So, not long ago, Adobe added stronger default sharpening. Most professionals seem to turn it down.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Whitten on February 15, 2024, 12:49:09 AMI asked CO a couple of weeks ago if they would support the Hasselblad files and (as mentioned several times already) they replied not at this time.

Yes, Capture One replied to all current or former users who wanted it to support HB files.
You can find the link above (#38).
Robert

Whitten

Two posts about this?
I know they replied ages ago, but the only possible way to persuade them is to keep asking, however forlorn that hope. The more people who ask for support the more they might feel pressured to relent.
I was talking to a pro photographer yesterday who is about to buy a Fuji medium format, his main reason is that he wanted to continue using Capture One.

tenmangu81

I don't know people who choose their camera according to the software they are used to. But I can understand they could have their own way of thinking.
As far as I am concerned, I decided to switch from Capture One (that I used for years) to the Adobe world (Lightroom + Photoshop) after I bought my X1D II, and I am very happy.
Robert