Hasselblad support in Capture One

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcalver

I'm curious to understand if the lack of Hasselblad support in C1 is down to C1 or Hasselblad?

I've heard both from talking to people on this matter, Hasselblad is refusing to cooperate, and also that C1 is the bottle neck.  I'm really keen to champion this integration for my commercial workflow, so am looking for the right angle to approach it from.

Paul.

hcubell

It's completely C1/Phase One. They have never forgiven Hasselblad for "closing" the newer H series camera bodies to Phase One backs, forcing Phase One to go pick up Mamiya of the scrap heap in order to provide a plat form for the Phase backs.

tenmangu81

Capture One is now a different company. Yes, there are more possibilities for the Phase One cameras and backs than for other cameras, but it is just a sort of "legacy". With the HNCS system on the HB side, and the specific colour monitoring on the C1 side, I understand it could be very difficult to find an agreement, at least on the technical and license side.
Robert

paulcalver

Thanks for the info, so it seems likely both sides are resistant, which could mean no integration coming soon, at least not without some external pressure.

Do we know if anyone has ever reached out directly to Hasselblad or C1 to get an official statement on it? If not I'll attempt to do this myself. Appreciate it's not going to be an overnight change, but I believe the appetite is there, so worth trying to get to the bottom of it all.

Phocus is great, but C1 is such an integral part of the majority of commercial photographers on set workflow, it's often a deal breaker for buying a Hasselblad.

I spoke with a very well respected Digi op in the UK and they now refuse to work with Hasselblad commercially for this reason.  I think you'd do well to find any Digi op who would choose to work with Phocus.

So, if Hasselblad was compatible with C1, it would certainly open up Hasselblad cameras to the commercial world on a larger scale.

I'll try to find the best contacts at Hasselblad and C1 to communicate with, if anyone has any leads / emails it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

tenmangu81

I have a contact with a French member of the commercial staff in Sweden, and I will ask her.
Robert

jhasselblad

For Hasselblad cameras Phocus is the great RAW Converter. Unmatched colors.

For Phase One cameras is Capture One the best RAW Converter, also for Leica M and SL in my experiences. 

We need Phocus and Capture One for the RAW Conversion - but Photoshop beats them all in the post production!

paulcalver

Quote from: jhasselblad on April 05, 2023, 10:50:58 PM

For Phase One cameras is Capture One the best RAW Converter, also for Leica M and SL in my experiences. 

We need Phocus and Capture One for the RAW Conversion - but Photoshop beats them all in the post production!

We do already have that, so seems you're all sorted. My aim is getting Hasselblad supported in C1 for my own and many others on set professional work flow.

paulcalver

Quote from: tenmangu81 on April 05, 2023, 09:43:05 PM
I have a contact with a French member of the commercial staff in Sweden, and I will ask her.

That would be amazing, thank you for your support :)

tenmangu81

Right !! But I have compared the colours (with a Colour Checker image) in Phocus and in Lightroom, and they are identical (I mean for the .fff files). And Lightroom is already far better, as far as processing is concerned, than Phocus. So why not Capture One ?  ;D
Robert

hcubell

Quote from: tenmangu81 on April 04, 2023, 05:37:45 AM
Capture One is now a different company. Yes, there are more possibilities for the Phase One cameras and backs than for other cameras, but it is just a sort of "legacy". With the HNCS system on the HB side, and the specific colour monitoring on the C1 side, I understand it could be very difficult to find an agreement, at least on the technical and license side.

Not really separate at this point. The same private equity firm owns both of them and they probably still have the same directors running both of them. has put each of the two businesses into a separate business entity, probably to maximize value on a sale by cleaning up the balance sheet of the software business by removing the drag on earnings from the Phase camera business and facilitating a sale of each business to a separate buyer.
The bad blood between Phase and Hasselblad is tribal. The potential income from additional licenses of Capture One being sold to Hasselblad shooters is very minor in the scheme of things. Hasselblad would have to pay Phase to agree to do it, which is apparently what Fuji did.

paulcalver

Wow, okay, sounds like a complicated one to solve!

SrMi

Capture One does not fully support M and SL cameras (crop and LPC). AFAIK only Adobe software does.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on April 06, 2023, 03:56:20 AM
Capture One does not fully support M and SL cameras (crop and LPC). AFAIK only Adobe software does.

I've had a M9 and a M240, and I've never seen any issue with the crops. What do you mean by LPC : LCC or lens corrections ? Lens corrections are not that bad. I haven't use LCC very often, and thus I don't know about this tool. Could you give some examples, and I'll try ? Thanks.
Robert

hcubell

Even if Capture One were to be opened up to Hasselblad files, what are the chances that Phase One would work effectively and reliably with Hasselblad so that the conversion of those files in Capture One would be competitive with Phocus (or even LR)?

paulcalver

Quote from: hcubell on April 06, 2023, 07:47:52 AM
Even if Capture One were to be opened up to Hasselblad files, what are the chances that Phase One would work effectively and reliably with Hasselblad so that the conversion of those files in Capture One would be competitive with Phocus (or even LR)?

It may sounds shallow, but I'm not sure this would bother me at all, I just need to have them be compatible for an on set workflow.  Once the 'live' shoot is over, I can take those files into any RAW conversion software for the final output.