Hasselblad X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Goyette

Quote from: Barry Goyette on June 21, 2016, 03:47:48 AM
Quote from: NickT on June 19, 2016, 02:33:04 PM
This is absolutely not some "dumbed down hybrid".

It is a thing of beauty, totally new and hand-made in Sweden.

Certainly not trying to be a negative Nellie on this. By dumbed down...I mean that the target audience is "well heeled amateur". Fully functional, fully featured, yet not really designed for professional use. The continued use of the word "beautiful" and the two teasers showing a  minimalistic camera with few buttons certainly indicate exactly that kind of camera. That worries me. The new CEO has suggested a step towards "pro-sumer" and I'm really hoping for a system that isn't that. I believe strongly that mirrorless is the future of professional cameras, specifically medium format ones. If they can do it at a lower (than current) price point, Bring meaningful video features into the mix, and produce a more compact, durable body while supporting professional use, Hasselblad just might have something "game-changing"(and considering they've practically branded the new camera as such, they'd better.)

Barry Goyette

(as an aside...on the design. When I first saw the picture you posted last week, Nick, it reminded me of BlackMagic's Cinema Camera. While that camera had potential for producing nice quality images, it was hampered by an extremely limited UI and a stripped down, almost pointless camera body. It was nice looking, but not particularly useful for a professional. I'm certainly not expecting something as rudimentary as that camera. Hasselblad is an actual camera maker versus Blackmagic, which wasn't at the time, but I hope as we start to see more of the new Hasselblad, that there are a few useful buttons interrupting all that "beautiful" design.)  :-)

So it looks to me like Fuji will likely be producing (early next year)  the camera the I felt the X1d should have been. A professional medium-format mirrorless. Let's hope sweden isn't far behind. I particularly noted in their press conference the discussion of a repositionable viewfinder "that can be removed when an external monitor is used". As always, fuji isn't afraid to innovate in directions that no one else is going. https://www.dpreview.com/news/8411827820/fujfilm-announces-development-gfx-50s-medium-format-digital

ganesh

JoeC

I received the XCD 45mm and XCD 90mm lenses from B&H last week. Just waiting on the camera. I placed my pre-order on June 23.

Joe

KeithL

I still think this camera is the most exciting introduction for many a year but won't consider ordering until I'm sure it meets my needs.

I've asked the question before, but is there any update on whether the X1D will have the option of a cabled release? In-camera DOF info? Also, what are the Auto ISO options?

Thanks

Keith

Bro

Hi KeithL,

Thank you for your questions and input. I hope I can help you with some of your questions.

- Cable release option is not part of X1D feature specification and not likely to be implemented in near future. iPhone/iPad users are referred to control X1D remotely with the Hasselblad Phocus App.
- In-camera DOF info is part of the specification and is planned to be implemented some time next year
- Currently Auto ISO is set to be active between 100 and 3200, but the functionality will be updated with an option to set Auto ISO min and max values on your own

Cheers!

// Bro

KeithL

Quote from: Bro on December 21, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
Hi KeithL,

Thank you for your questions and input. I hope I can help you with some of your questions.

- Cable release option is not part of X1D feature specification and not likely to be implemented in near future. iPhone/iPad users are referred to control X1D remotely with the Hasselblad Phocus App.
- In-camera DOF info is part of the specification and is planned to be implemented some time next year
- Currently Auto ISO is set to be active between 100 and 3200, but the functionality will be updated with an option to set Auto ISO min and max values on your own

Hi Bro,

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, I don't know you, but are you are speaking on behalf of Hasselblad?

NickT has previously very kindly asked the question of Hasselblad about a cabled release and is chasing it up again after the Christmas break.I often find myself in remote situations such as abandoned interiors in the middle of nowhere on a blob of rock in the middle of the Aegean Sea, without a phone or signal.

The X1D is in my opinion the most exciting introduction for many a year, but sadly, as far as I'm concerned, the lack of a release would be a deal breaker.

Bro

Hi KeithL,

My comments in here are not official statements by Hasselblad, but I am very much involved in Hasselblad cameras development and allowed to answer some of the questions, in the very same way as NickT.

Compactness and simplicity were they key aspects in X1D concept and development process. This is very clear in the physical shape and form as well as handling and UI of the X1D. This also goes for the X1D functionality - only the most essential and must have features are included in the camera specification.

For all the bells and whistles there already is H6D which is much more advanced and modular system. It comprises a choice of optical viewfinders, a dedicated autofocus sensor and a removable digital back. Additionally the capture unit can be used with technical camera systems or replaced with a film back if required. The H6D system also has a trade-in program to support it. While the X1D is offered at a very competitive pricing, without a supporting trade-in program, the viewfinder is fixed and no technical camera connectivity.

Nevertheless, every suggestion for further improvement of the Hasselblad cameras from both current as well as potential customers is noted and evaluated. Hasselblad camera systems are continuously developed and needed features are added accordingly. The cabled release option request is on such list.

Cheers!

// Bro

Buddy

you can also release the cam with the self timer set to e.g. 2 seconds - easy and efficient.

KeithL

Hi Bro,

I owned and used Hasselblad H system cameras for many years in another life.

I do hope Hasselbad introduce a cabled release, I consider it to be a most essential and must have feature and certainly not a bell or whistle. I know that many other potential users were disappointed about the lack or oversight of a cabled release.

I've been in the position of having to use a self timer in the past and it's certainly not something I'd choose to return to.

I've been willing Hasselblad to introduce a medium format mirrorless camera for more years than I care to remember, more's the pity then if I have to pass for the sake of a simple cabled release.

Cheers

Keith Laban 

KeithL

As an aside, is it not possible to view contributors profiles here? If I click on a contributors name I get the message An Error Has Occurred! You are not allowed to access this section

Buddy

my gutt feeling is that they just forgot that little feature of a cable release socket...shit happens!....I can live with it using the self timer. Also I think they are going to make an accessory via the flash hot shoe or via USB or something. Nothing that really matters that much really, at least for me...

KeithL

Quote from: Buddy on December 22, 2016, 06:20:25 AM
my gutt feeling is that they just forgot that little feature of a cable release socket...shit happens!

I'm really not expecting a conventional cable release socket. A means to release via the USB is far more likely. Pretty please...

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Having read Bro's response, I'm wondering where Hasselblad see the X1D fitting in. My feeling until then is that it looks like a great camera for ageing landscape folk who don't want to lug heavy gear anymore. With some longer lenses available, I would be lining up for one. Now, I'm wondering if that was just a fantasy on my part, and it's really not meant as a serious camera, whatever that is.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

KeithL

Quote from: jeff.grant@pobox.com on December 22, 2016, 10:38:20 AM
Having read Bro's response, I'm wondering where Hasselblad see the X1D fitting in. My feeling until then is that it looks like a great camera for ageing landscape folk who don't want to lug heavy gear anymore. With some longer lenses available, I would be lining up for one. Now, I'm wondering if that was just a fantasy on my part, and it's really not meant as a serious camera, whatever that is.

Jeff, I have to admit Bro's response in post #156 did surprise me. To be fair much of it read as a product manager's cut and paste ;-)

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Keith, I'm glad that I'm not the only one to read it that way. I don't need most of what he described It sounded like he considered the X1D to be a toy, and not a serious camera. As for new features, I bought my H3D on the promise of longer exposure times, and that never happened so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a cable release.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com