Hasselblad X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

etrigan63

The Leica SL uses contrast detection and the SL lenses (both of them) use that exact method: small focusing elements that can be quickly scuttled back and forth until focus is achieved. I have tested the Leica SL and this works quite well and in low light as well. From reports I have read, the AF response at this time needs work and i fully expect it to be much better when the camera ships. I am scheduled to attend a demo in Boca Raton, FL on July 18, so I will report my findings after that. I don't have that much disposable income so I can't just pre-order a unit. I am going to have to save up my shekels for this.
Carlos Echenique
Photographer/Technology Blogger
blog | flickr | pro gallery

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

etrigan63

Maybe I should start an Indegogo campaign to get donations for an X1D kit...
Carlos Echenique

NickT

Alex

Very nice results from the 45mm lens - very sharp corner to corner - and that's at f6.8.
Ming has suggested that a part of the IQ is down to the lenses being of a higher quality than the H lenses - would be interested in doing some the comparisons when the H adaptor comes out - and I look forward to the H lenses being upgraded with the same tech in (hopefully "near") future :)

jerome_m

Quote from: Alex on July 06, 2016, 10:57:13 PM
Very nice results from the 45mm lens - very sharp corner to corner - and that's at f6.8.
Ming has suggested that a part of the IQ is down to the lenses being of a higher quality than the H lenses

I'd hate to criticise, but my ancient H4D-50 with the HC-50 II is perfectly sharp corner to corner as well. So much for "higher quality than the H lenses"... ;)

Quite frankly, the new X1D is a very tempting camera, but "sharpness" will not be its selling point for the obvious reason that the H line is already close to perfection in that respect.

Alex

You're probably right - I must have had worse luck with my HC50II unit than you have had with yours and ended up trading it in. - I wasn't getting that level of resolve.

Monty Rakusen

Why was this testing done at 6.8? surely it should have been done at its widest aperture?

NickT

I seem to remember that sharpest aperture for medium (ish) format is two stops down?

Monty Rakusen

Yes it is but the real test of a lens is when its used fully open

etrigan63

Carlos Echenique

rickgrainger

What do y'all believe are the chances of seeing a full blown lens roadmap for the X1D at Photokina 2016? Probable? Possible? No way in hell?

NickT

The problem with road maps is when you get lost. Say they announce a new lens but when the come to make it it turns out that it will be way too expensive or priorities are assigned to other projects, then you get angry users comlying that the "promised" lens hasn't arrived. Better to announce I think when the thing is nearly ready.

What I can tell you is that there will be more lenses. I just can't tell you what they are.

acg

Nick,

Any update on when you will receive a demo to shoot, and when the first cameras will be available for those who pre-ordered?

Thanks,

ACG
aaron c greenman
aaroncgreenman@acuitycolorgrain.com
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

NickT

Demo units will be out by the end of the month then they'll start filling orders. Swedes have been on holiday so that hasn't helped!