HC 3.2/150N

Previous topic - Next topic

bredd

Sorry! I read the rest of the posts and had my question answered.

GeorgeTelis

Hc 150mm N + 26mm tube

I purchased this lens for portraits but i find it extremely useful for still life and advertising photos. There is quite some difficulty to get a correct focusing when shooting portraits due to the short DOF but if you get it right the lens is unbelievably sharp. ;D

ghoonk

Quote from: Alex Maxim on November 11, 2010, 06:33:02 AM
Thank you, Marc.

And if you thoroughly look through a pile of fashion magazine, guys, you'll notice that there are quite a few photos that are not perfectly sharp or some of them are not sharp at all, lol. And art directors, fashion editors, don't really care about how sharp your pixels are. What they want to see, is if your image communicate what they want it to communicate. In most cases they don't even know what pixels are...

Marc, I'll wait for H5D, when Hasselblad have a display similar to iPhone's, maybe even with a pinch zoom, and maybe it will have WiFI :)

Alex

That's out already - it's called a H4X with an IQ180 back ;)

The 150N looks pretty good. I shoot portraits quite a bit and am seriously considering this lens. I typically shoot with the 100/2.2 and 80/2.8 and was wondering if anyone can tell me how fast/slow the AF is compared to the 100 and the 80 primes

regeti

Another image from this past weekend, handheld (hence not very sharp)

Exposure Time                   : 1/180
F Number                        : 3.2
Exposure Program                : Manual
ISO                             : 200
Camera Model Name               : Hasselblad H4D-40

regeti

Camera Model Name               : Hasselblad H4D-40
Exposure Time                   : 1/180
F Number                        : 5.6
ISO                             : 100

GeorgeTelis

HC 3.2/150N is definitely my favorite studio lens it worth every penny. Some days ago i tried to take a photo using only candle light, something i thought it was impossible for a medium format camera. The result was a pleasant surprise to me.

Iso 400 , f3,2 , 1/15sec using tripod

Giorgio

This is from an assignment at the Hearst Tower NYC.
Michael Clinton, Exec for Hearst Corp, shot for The Daily Front Row. Published and distributed during NY Fashion Week, Feb. 2013.
After shooting the H4D 60 for a few months I am starting to crush on the HC 150.

jmk

Model: Hasselblad H3DII-39
Shutter Speed: 1/200 second
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: HC 3.2/150 mm (No N)
ISO Speed: 50
Extension H 13mm
LR developped

jmk

Model: Hasselblad H3DII-39
Shutter Speed: 1/200 second
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: HC 3.2/150 mm (No N)
ISO Speed: 50
LR developped

ksporry

Interesting thread. Nice to know the 150 is an amazing lens. Been contemplating this one or the macro 120. Of people think the 150 is slow is imagine the 120 is a lot worse.
My reason for considering those two are my preference for 135mm on full frame 35mm DSLRs. The 150 comes closer to that view angle on my h1 with p30.
I can't afford the 150N new, and it's not available locally where I am second hand (I'm in shanghai), so it looks like I'll go for version 1.

hvk

Did anyone make side by side comparisons of the old 150 and the 150N? I have the old version and the amount of CA not acceptable in many situations on the H6D-100c. Is the 150N any better?

/Henrik

FirstLights

Henrik, I haven't done the comparison but the "older" HC 150 is sharp in my landscapes and lateral CA not a big issue at f=11, which I found the best compromise for this lens wrt sharpness, contrast, and CA whilst avoiding diffraction blur. I got this lens for 700 Euros and it is a bargain for this amount of money in relation to its capabilities, including the leaf shutter (up to 1/800 sec.).

Only under challenging frontal light conditions, the remaing small amount of lat. CA at f=11 can easily be corrected when ticking 'the remove CA' box in Lightroom plus evt. then switching to the manual tab in the Lightroom lens profiles section and moving the slider for lilac borders up to about 5.
You then have still the option to narrow down the lilac tonal range with the sliders further below. With all these measures I could always get satisfactory image results with the older HC 150 version.

For pictures with this lens I also apply small increases in texture and clarity as well as sharpness (with a small radius).
I have saved all these settings as a "HC 150 user preset" and apply this automatically when importing HC 150 raw  pictures in Lightroom.
All the best, Holger
FirstLights
Visit me at www.500px.com/firstlights

maxnardi

Hi, I tested my 150 (old) vs 150 orange (optically same as N) on my H6D-100c...

Not great differences:
On high contrast edges (dark framed industrial glass wall with direct sun from inside) ...the old had little magenta fringe (1px or2) where the new had orange fringe (1px almost)

For me not enough to upgrade (if i don't decide to buy an x1d and use it with af on it)

hvk

Thanks Max, sounds like it is worth a try.

As Holger says the original HC 150 is a great lens in most cases.  The shooting conditions during my recent project were less than optimal though and I experienced lots of magenta fringe around foliage.

/Henrik