HC Lens on X1D and AF

Previous topic - Next topic

rollsman

Can anyone shed light on this.  From what I read only the Newer HC lenses can AF with the adaptor. My interest is in the 80mm 2.8 on my X1D. I would like to know if the AF is accurate and how is the IQ using the 80HC lenses on it?   Thanks
Dennis mansour

JCM-Photos

The HC lens must be able to support HC firmware V.18.0.0 to work with Af on the X1D

Older HC lenses can't be updated to FW V.18.0.0 and work without AF on the X1D
Sharpen your eyes not your files

rollsman

Thank you for clarifying this.  Dennis
Dennis mansour

Juan Pascual Garrido

Hi! do you know if AF isn't also possible with the X1D II and old HC HCD lenses? Thanks!

FirstLights

No I don't think that would be possible.
As far a as I know the older lenses have a smaller internal memory chip that is not able to take the larger firmware from 18.0.0 onwards ...
FirstLights
Visit me at www.500px.com/firstlights

Juan Pascual Garrido

Thank you FirstLights for your answer

Paul Claesson

HC lenses with firmware version 18.0.0 or above will allow AF on the X1D/X1D II.
HC Lenses with firmware below this can be used in Manual focus only.

You can check the firmware version yourself, attach any HC/HCD lens to the XH adapter to X body.
Go shortcut menu, press the gear/cogwheel located in the lower right, scroll to the bottom and select About. The 2nd item down is Lens Firmware, and to the right is the firmware version.

Paul Claesson
VP Technical Support and Service
Hasselblad Inc.
1080A Garden State Road Union, NJ 07083, USA

paul.claesson@hasselblad.com  | www.hasselblad.com

Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

FG

Quote from: Paul Claesson on December 31, 2019, 04:11:14 AM
HC lenses with firmware version 18.0.0 or above will allow AF on the X1D/X1D II.
HC Lenses with firmware below this can be used in Manual focus only.

You can check the firmware version yourself, attach any HC/HCD lens to the XH adapter to X body.
Go shortcut menu, press the gear/cogwheel located in the lower right, scroll to the bottom and select About. The 2nd item down is Lens Firmware, and to the right is the firmware version.

Paul Claesson
VP Technical Support and Service
Hasselblad Inc.
1080A Garden State Road Union, NJ 07083, USA

paul.claesson@hasselblad.com  | www.hasselblad.com

The old HC lenses, which cannot be updated apart from the AF not working, all the other features of the official camera, including being able to work with Flashes in manual mode and TTL

Thank

Greg

The way I checked my HC lens firmware version was by mounting to my H4D60 and finding it there.  Any H camera should be able to do the same.

FG

So if my lens tells me I can upgrade to the HC / HCD LENSES FIRMWARE 19.0.3, would AF work on the X1D...? And another question from the X1D with the adapter can you upgrade the HC lens...?

Thank you

Paul Claesson

Quote from: FG on May 29, 2020, 01:06:53 AM
So if my lens tells me I can upgrade to the HC / HCD LENSES FIRMWARE 19.0.3, would AF work on the X1D...?
And another question from the X1D with the adapter can you upgrade the HC lens...?
If your HC/HCD lens has firmware version 18.0.0 or above you can update the firmware in the lens to 19.0.3 and this will allow AF on the X1D/X1D II.

From the 19.0.3 readme:
The 19.0.3 release adds AF support for additional HC/HCD Lenses when using the XH Lens Adapter with the X1D Camera. Now, all HC/HCD Lenses except the HC120 Macro can be used with AF. It also adresses a problem with some lenses that could hit the end stops too hard. This firmware should be used for all HC/HCD lenses.
Please note that the HC/HCD Lens must have firmware 18.0.0 or later. Lenses with older firmware have hardware that cannot be updated with this firmware. They can only be used with manual focus on the X1D.

Yes, you can perform the firmware update to the HC/HCD using the XH adapter on the X1D/X1D II, provided firmware in the is 18.0.0 or above.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

rollsman

Hi Paul, here is my Question:  I want to purchase a HC 80mm lens but How will I know what the version is from the person I buy it from
  Next question.  How does the AF work with the HC lens and adaptor?  Is it precise AF and does it AF fast or slow?   Thank you
  I really want to get this done soon. 
Dennis mansour

Stefan Prasser

@rollsman

Even you directed the question to Paul and even you will find answers already in various other threads:

(1) You need to get the firmware version 18.0.0 or above confirmed by the vendor of the lens. You cannot see this from the outside except for orange dot lenses which have the AF ready firmware by default
(2) AF speed will be original AF speed of the HC 80 lens. All HC/HCD lenses have a moderate AF speed. If I compare my HC/HCD lenses via XH adaptor on the X1D II I'd rate the AF speed slower compared to XCD lenses but usable. Don't expect AF wonders here. The HC 80 has not the fastest AF amongst the HC lens line up though.

Hope that helps.

rollsman

Hi Stefan. That really helps in my decision. That was an Amazing explanation. Thanks Dennis
Dennis mansour