907X & CFV 100C - A Trifecta of Imaging Possibilities

Previous topic - Next topic

SMurphy

Just announced:
https://www.hasselblad.com/v-system/907x-cfv-100c/

Main upgrades:
1. The sensor's resolution has been upgraded from 50 megapixels to 100 megapixels.
2. Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) has been added.
3. A hot shoe adaptor port has been added.
4. A built-in 1TB SSD has been added.
5. The HEIF file format has been added.
6. A face detection function and a focus indicator have been added.

Price: $8199 USD (same as the X2D, which is nice to see as the previous model came at a premium)

User Manual: https://www.hasselblad.com/my-hasselblad/downloads/#167

polychloros

Slightly lighter weight too (-120g) I believe. That, the 1TB internal storage and the hotshoe adaptor are useful changes for me but I personally won't be upgrading from the CFV 50c at this point. It's good to see that Hasselblad are sticking with the back concept.

mikaelo67

But no IBiS, that's a shame. That would have made me really consider to trade up from my CFV50C. Since I have that one and the X2D, I'm not really sure this would be worth it for me. The 50C already produces great images. If I need 100Mpix I can always use my X2D.

But great product in itself.

mikaelo67

Is it possible to use the hot shoe adapter on the CFV50C?

Even if it doesn't work as a hot shoe. It would be useful for me as a cold shoe adapter with a cable connected to the back. Since it seems to plug in the same way as the old viewfinder that works physically on the 50C.

SMurphy

Quote from: polychloros on January 25, 2024, 02:41:19 AM
Slightly lighter weight too (-120g)

Ah yes: 620g for 907X & CFV 100C (excluding battery and SD card) vs 740g previously.  Nice.

In looking over the respective datasheets I also note these changes:
-  no video (no surprise)
-  built-in 1TB SSD, but only 512GB capacity CFexpress Type B card supported, vs previous max 1TB UHS-II SD cards (odd that a full backup isn't possible, isn't it?  although the X2D 100C is the same)
- no change to the display: 3.2-inch TFT type, 24 bit colour, 2.36M dots (disappointing)
- no plug for external DC power

Any others?

SMurphy

Quote from: mikaelo67 on January 25, 2024, 03:11:22 AM

Sadly, no.  The admin for the Facebook Hasselblad Worldwide User Group was asked the same question and answered "We added a new set of pins on the back for the hotshoe, so unfortunately it is not backward compatible."

polychloros

Quote from: SMurphy on January 25, 2024, 04:02:09 AM
Quote from: mikaelo67 on January 25, 2024, 03:11:22 AM

Sadly, no.  The admin for the Facebook Hasselblad Worldwide User Group was asked the same question and answered "We added a new set of pins on the back for the hotshoe, so unfortunately it is not backward compatible."

I'm not sure that answer rules out using the hot shoe adaptor as a cold shoe adaptor on the 50c. If you look at the manual for the 100c, it appears that the pins for the new accessory are on the 100c back itself rather than the adaptor so it looks like the new adaptor might still fit the 50c. If this is possible and the adaptor isn't stupidly expensive, using it as a cold shoe (with a cable running into the flash port) would be a very worthwhile accessory for the 50c.

Tennisarm12

Quote from: SMurphy on January 25, 2024, 02:01:29 AM

Price: $8199 USD (same as the X2D, which is nice to see as the previous model came at a premium)

Funny enough - in Europe it costs 7799 Euro vs. 8699 Euro for the X2D...

And - UNBELIEVABLE - it would ship 1 day after order! LOL

jakontil

Quote from: SMurphy on January 25, 2024, 03:48:45 AM
Quote from: polychloros on January 25, 2024, 02:41:19 AM
Slightly lighter weight too (-120g)

Ah yes: 620g for 907X & CFV 100C (excluding battery and SD card) vs 740g previously.  Nice.

In looking over the respective datasheets I also note these changes:
-  no video (no surprise)
-  built-in 1TB SSD, but only 512GB capacity CFexpress Type B card supported, vs previous max 1TB UHS-II SD cards (odd that a full backup isn't possible, isn't it?  although the X2D 100C is the same)
- no change to the display: 3.2-inch TFT type, 24 bit colour, 2.36M dots (disappointing)
- no plug for external DC power

Any others?

I see no reason why it wont support 1Tb cfexpress b though, i use one in x2D

SMurphy

Quote from: polychloros on January 25, 2024, 04:19:57 AM
I'm not sure that answer rules out using the hot shoe adaptor as a cold shoe adaptor on the 50c. If you look at the manual for the 100c, it appears that the pins for the new accessory are on the 100c back itself rather than the adaptor so it looks like the new adaptor might still fit the 50c. If this is possible and the adaptor isn't stupidly expensive, using it as a cold shoe (with a cable running into the flash port) would be a very worthwhile accessory for the 50c.

Given that closer look, I think (and hope) that you may well be right.  Hopefully someone can confirm soon.

SrMi

In 14-bit mode, the CFV100C has faster sensor readout than CFV50C which could help handholding with electronic shutter (IBIS would help more).
The BSI sensor improves corners as discussed here (on technical camera):

https://www.captureintegration.com/hasselblad-907x-cfv-100c-a-revolutionary-digital-back-for-technical-view-camera/

SMurphy

Quote from: jakontil on January 25, 2024, 04:21:44 AM
I see no reason why it wont support 1Tb cfexpress b though, i use one in x2D

It doesn't make sense to me either - thanks for providing your real-world experience.

pdprinter

As far as I can see the CFV100C  has no IBIS and there is no mentioning if the screen got improved. These are the 2 most important aspects which makes me thinking of upgrading. I wonder if the 907X part got changed at all, maybe the new hot-shoe could be used with the 907X 50C?
I expect better DR and edge performance with BSI sensor.
Hasselblad is selling it as it did with the CFV50C as retro camera so showing no incentive to upgrade, strange marketing

SrMi