XCD 28P Released

Previous topic - Next topic

mikaelo67

bmikiten

Tempting because of the weight and size but the 21mm isn't too bad to carry. I'm wondering about the optical qualities. The price is certainly right!

ktanaka

Indeed!  And I am shocked that it was available for purchase immediately!  I eagerly await mine.

mikaelo67

I just looked in the Hasselblad online EU store. It seems like they have removed the old 90mm and the 135mm from the store. the old 90mm I can understand if they are about to release the new 90v. But the 135mm makes no sense. Unless they are about to release a new one? Also the 120 Macro is gone too.

Any thoughts on this?

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/collections/x-v-system-lens

Georg Kovalcik

The store website design is a bit chaotic. If you click on the XCD 3,5/30 and scroll down to ,,recommendations" you can buy the 120 and the 135.

pdprinter

Also X1D is not there anymore. I hope a new macro is coming soon!

ashdown

Quote from: mikaelo67 on August 24, 2023, 02:11:54 AM
I just looked in the Hasselblad online EU store. It seems like they have removed the old 90mm and the 135mm from the store. the old 90mm I can understand if they are about to release the new 90v. But the 135mm makes no sense. Unless they are about to release a new one? Also the 120 Macro is gone too.

Any thoughts on this?

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/collections/x-v-system-lens

Hasselblad order batches of lenses from their suppliers, they aren't in constant production. I imagine the original Nittoh lenses currently being sold are the stock that they hold with no plan to make any more. When they are gone, that's it.

Nittoh may own some of the IP of the lens design or manufacturing process that means Hasselblad can't start making these older lenses elsewhere. I won't speculate on the reasons for the clean break in suppliers.

Larsb

I am really keen on getting the 28mm lens and will buy one as soon as I can get one in Australia
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

Ikarus

Quote from: Larsb on August 24, 2023, 05:07:27 PM
I am really keen on getting the 28mm lens and will buy one as soon as I can get one in Australia

It's a very attractive proposition.  I have the 38V sitting on my desk, and I'm determined to stick with 1 lens, until I fully understand it (shouldn't be difficult).  Also, when I looked at the lens page on the Hasselblad site, I felt that the 28 didn't give me a lot in field of view.  I might wait to see if a V version of the 21 breaks cover (and how big and heavy it might be).

Zuazua

How much for the 45p

Quote from: Patrick M on August 24, 2023, 11:11:29 PM
I used the lens comparator on the Hassy site  which showed that, as I have both the 38V and 55V, that I had no real use for the 45P. Shame. It's a lovely lens, and I'd like to have kept it. While the resale value isn't great, I felt it wouldn't do it any good just sat in a cupboard. I also have the 21mm so no need for the new 28 either. Darn. :-(

satijntje

28P is now declared to be sold out on the HB homepage.

Georg Kovalcik

Available again :-) (shipment within 5 working days): https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/products/xcd-28p

MarkN

HB is introducing new lenses at different price points (45P, 28P vs. 38V, 55V) which diversifies and increases their customer base - and it makes good business sense. I would imagine there is a V series wide angle in the works that is significantly wider than the 38V - somewhere around 30-26mm?
I wish they would release a lens road map. Given that I own a 30mm xcd lens, I will pass on the 28P and wait for a wider V series.

Oldpilot

Ordered the 28P on 23 August from B&H for $1,679 USD; notified by B&H that the lens shipped on 24 August.   :)

UPDATE
Received the lens on 28 August. 

Initial impressions after two days:
(1) Very sharp in the center, even wide open.
(2) Quiet
(3) Soft in the corners wide open, not an issue when stopped down to f/8, even f/5.6 is much better
(4) X-axis edges remain surprisingly sharp, it's just the corners
(5) Vignettes at wider apertures
(6) Lens profile not yet in LR Classic, but vignetting is easy to correct manually
(7) Seems to focus a bit faster than my 45P
(8) Close focusing ability is amazing!
(9) Solid and well constructed
(10) Great color, no fringing
(11) Very light, have fired Sherpas

Not perfect by any means, but great value.  No buyer's remorse whatsoever.  It's a keeper, despite a few easy to overcome shortcomings -- but most of them are gone after closing the aperture a couple of stops and the center is always terrific.

JCM-Photos

The 28P is advertised by Hasselblad as a street photography lens, light and fast and designed for cropping on the X2D.

These statements make sense as showing the curves, the center performance is much better than the borders what is not common with XCD lenses, also performance drops rapidly when closing the aperture,
the shutter is very simplified with only 2 leaves,
focusing is also very simplified as only 3 little elements in the rear group that move with a linear step motor.

Perhaps near distance is better than far, to be verified.
For me this lens does not replace the XCD30 that has better, broader and more consistant performances but is heavier and slower.

I noticed by myself differences between the 45P and XCD45 I use. The XCD45 makes more pleasing images as the 45P that has rough microcontrast.
But what bothers me the most is the silent shutter that gives no sign the image has been taken, legacy XCD lenses gives clear acoustic signals to the user.

Sharpen your eyes not your files