XCD 28P Released

Previous topic - Next topic

wild-light-xpan

Whats the point of buying a 28mm lens and then cropping it for a usable or acceptably sharp image?

Although 'cheap' by Hasselblad standards the lens should still be performing excellently across the image circle.

From the image samples supplied by Hasselblad on their site (I'm talking specifically about the landscape ones and in particular the beach sunset image) I for one can say I'm not that impressed at all with the sharpness performance. It's unusable in my opinion.

It looks to me that there have been too many compromises made and I'm sitting tight for now, but happy to see some more image samples before I pull the trigger on this one.

SrMi

If you prefer shooting 1:1 or x-pan, the corners may not be relevant.
I would like to have a lightweight 21 mm as that fits the SWC FOV best.

bmikiten

I know this sounds odd but does the low price bother anyone from a quality expectation point of view?

mikaelo67

Not at all. Compared to other manufacturers, Hbl lenses are still not cheap.

When it comes to quality. I'm not a pixel peeper. My main interest is the lens character. Besides Hasselblad; I shoot a lot with my different Leica cameras. And for the same reason, namely the character it provides me. But sometimes I want pin sharp pics edge to edge. It all depends on the subject, my mission and my mood.

So there are no right or wrongs. As long as the build quality is good, every lens has its own place.

But that's just my two cents.

pdprinter

I just got this lens, extremely compact, light and quiet. Shooting into the sun I could not find any lens flare.

I wanted to see how it works close up:

JCM-Photos

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on August 27, 2023, 02:48:46 AM
Whats the point of buying a 28mm lens and then cropping it for a usable or acceptably sharp image?

Having the lightest and fastest possible MF equipment able to make images in the wide angle range, no bag or backpack only a body and a "non removed" lens on the shoulder.

lighter and faster than 2 or three conventional primes or a zoom , faster because you don't have to change lenses or find the zoom setting, framing is done in post.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Quote from: JCM-Photos on August 28, 2023, 06:47:53 PM

Having the lightest and fastest possible MF equipment able to make images in the wide angle range, no bag or backpack only a body and a "non removed" lens on the shoulder.

lighter and faster than 2 or three conventional primes or a zoom , faster because you don't have to change lenses or find the zoom setting, framing is done in post.

And then, you zoom with your feet..... ;D
Robert

giampo

From the image samples supplied by Hasselblad on their site (I'm talking specifically about the landscape ones and in particular the beach sunset image) I for one can say I'm not that impressed at all with the sharpness performance. It's unusable in my opinion.

Hello I'm very new to the Hasselblad world, and I bought this lens last Wendsday, it arrived Friday.
I took several photos for quick testing and I can assure that it isn't as bad as you are thinking.
Actually the center of the image is very very sharp, I would say till f11, at f16 it start loosing something.
Even the corners aren't bad at all. (But not like the center.)
Only the very little last part of the corners shows a very bad decadence of performances.
But I have to say that also my 55v isn't that great in those corners.
I reapeat I'm just new to Hasselblad, and I own just two lenses. They are very good, but, especially in the corneres are non comparable to the Leica Apo SL series, that I used to own, before swithching system.

MarkN

To those who have taken delivery of the new 28P - on the back of the box what does it say after "Made in ...."?

giampo

Quote from: MarkN on August 29, 2023, 02:07:15 AM
To those who have taken delivery of the new 28P - on the back of the box what does it say after "Made in ...."?

On the box is written made in Japan, just like the box of the 55v

MarkN

All of the XCD lenses to date have been Made in Japan - so far...

tenmangu81

Quote from: Patrick M on August 29, 2023, 02:41:35 AM
the BOX was made in Japan, The lens was not I'll bet !  ;D

"Lens made in Japan" is engraved on my XCD55V.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on August 29, 2023, 05:17:10 AM
Quote from: Patrick M on August 29, 2023, 02:41:35 AM
the BOX was made in Japan, The lens was not I'll bet !  ;D

"Lens made in Japan" is engraved on my XCD55V.
Also engraved on XCD28P.

SrMi

Very nice lens. Unfortunately, it is not yet supported by Adobe (distortion and vignetting correction). I hope it will be supported in one of the next minor or major updates.

o2mpx

Received mine today. Like the size, weight and quiet shutter. Tangibly lighter than the 21mm (don't own the 30mm), and when UW isn't required, it'll be a lighter carry. Planning to keep the 21mm as well.

Expecting given the lower price, likely there're trade offs, but treating the lens as a different focal length and not a replacement/option to the 21mm.

Likely someone will be comparing the 28mm with the 30mm and with the 21mm. Perhaps the 45mm and the 45p might be an indicator how these lower priced versions compare to the original XCD's?