XCD 28P Released

Previous topic - Next topic

ymc226

I just new to digital medium format with the X2D with the 38 XCDV as my first and only lens (55 XCDV just ordered with B&H back in stock).  I do use the Leica M 21 SEM and 21 Lux (on various film and digital M bodies) for environmental portraits of my children and like the 21SEM for its sharpness across the field.  I understand the 28P is not going to be sharp in the corners but it is not my main concern.  The build quality is pretty good with metal construction on the 38 XCDV but a recent Adorama review on Youtube stated the 28P was made of plastic?  For those that have the 28P, is this true or is the construction the same quality and materials as the 38 and I assume the 55 XCDV?  Someone mentioned that it is quiet which is important to me.

6X6Miles

Quote from: ymc226 on November 11, 2023, 01:32:37 PM
I just new to digital medium format with the X2D with the 38 XCDV as my first and only lens (55 XCDV just ordered with B&H back in stock).  I do use the Leica M 21 SEM and 21 Lux (on various film and digital M bodies) for environmental portraits of my children and like the 21SEM for its sharpness across the field.  I understand the 28P is not going to be sharp in the corners but it is not my main concern.  The build quality is pretty good with metal construction on the 38 XCDV but a recent Adorama review on Youtube stated the 28P was made of plastic?  For those that have the 28P, is this true or is the construction the same quality and materials as the 38 and I assume the 55 XCDV?  Someone mentioned that it is quiet which is important to me.

The build on the 28P is metal, no plastic and is excellent, the sharpness is great. I just came back from a 3 week job in Scotland and brought it along with my 45P and 65 2.8 which all did fantastic on the X2D. I had the 38V and 55V for about a week but I returned them since the corners were total garbage at any aperture. The corners on the 28P are better one stop down than any aperture on either the 38V and 55V.

Corner sharpness *$hould* be important on $3,700 lenses that are made for a $8,000 102MP camera but oddly enough in the amateur crowd...they don't seem to be.

ymc226

Quote from: 6X6Miles on November 12, 2023, 08:25:07 AM
Quote from: ymc226 on November 11, 2023, 01:32:37 PM

The build on the 28P is metal, no plastic and is excellent, the sharpness is great. I just came back from a 3 week job in Scotland and brought it along with my 45P and 65 2.8 which all did fantastic on the X2D. I had the 38V and 55V for about a week but I returned them since the corners were total garbage at any aperture. The corners on the 28P are better one stop down than any aperture on either the 38V and 55V.

Corner sharpness *$hould* be important on $3,700 lenses that are made for a $8,000 102MP camera but oddly enough in the amateur crowd...they don't seem to be.

Thanks so much 6x6miles, it is reassuring that the lens has the same quality construction as the others.  Funny thing is I usually shoot more wide open than not for my environmental portraits so don't really look at the corners more closely compared to landscape photographers who need the whole field to be sharp. 

However, I am going to Joshua Tree in December, will take the XD2 set up, so hopefully won't be too disappointed with the 38 and 55 XCD.  The 28P is not in stock anywhere for now but I will keep on looking.

Going from Nikkor lenses starting out to Leica was a BIG shock but coming from Leica to Hasselblad, not so much.  :)

jhasselblad

The combination of X2D-100c and the new 38V lens is excellent - up to the corners. I am fully satisfied.

6X6Miles

Quote from: jhasselblad on November 12, 2023, 11:51:05 PM
The combination of X2D-100c and the new 38V lens is excellent - up to the corners. I am fully satisfied.

Unless you got a "special" one directly from Hasselblad made just for you, those corners are not "excellent" for landscape work. I have not seen a single sample of the lens or uncropped image from it that says otherwise. Lloyd Chambers does a great job at showing why this is and that is severe curvature of field due to the limitations of the design.

SrMi

Quote from: 6X6Miles on November 13, 2023, 04:59:41 AM

Unless you got a "special" one directly from Hasselblad made just for you, those corners are not "excellent" for landscape work. I have not seen a single sample of the lens or uncropped image from it that says otherwise. Lloyd Chambers does a great job at showing why this is and that is severe curvature of field due to the limitations of the design.

Jim Kasson is a more trustworthy source than Lloyd Chambers. He looked at the XCD38p edges and found them disappointing at f/2.8 (not an aperture used for landscape) and great starting at f/5.6 (good for landscape).

Then there is also the experience of owners.

jhasselblad

Yes that's right! I normally use f/8 for landscape photography.

f/2,5 is for portrait work.

davidjt

Quote from: 6X6Miles on November 13, 2023, 04:59:41 AM

I am not seeing any corner issues with sharpness at F8 for landscape use on an X1D 50Cii. Maybe that is not demanding enough but I think it's a super lens. I would say better than the Fuji 30mm I used previously.

tenmangu81

Thanks, David, for these shared files. I am surprised that there isn't any magenta cast (or a very light one, which can be corrected with vignetting), contrary to what has been observed until now with this XCD28P lens.
Robert

mmanesh

Quote from: ktanaka on August 24, 2023, 02:09:08 AM
Indeed!  And I am shocked that it was available for purchase immediately!  I eagerly await mine.

Hasselblad really seems to miss the opportunity with a proper lens roadmap and communica. I was surprised to see this lens come out - but it seems with hasselblad you just have to accept whatever they throw at you 😅

Tennisarm12

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 14, 2023, 11:21:41 PM
Thanks, David, for these shared files. I am surprised that there isn't any magenta cast (or a very light one, which can be corrected with vignetting), contrary to what has been observed until now with this XCD28P lens.

Are you seriously surprised? One guy postulates a magenta cast and you believe it? How unprofessional people think a company like Hasselblad is?

Here some shots made in Frankfurt last week. I can't see a magenta cast anywhere.

Cheers

Shot on a 907X with 28P.

pdprinter

I am using the 28P on the 907X and I'm still searching for magenta!

FloatingLens

My copy of the 28P on 907X and X1D II produces uneven magenta cast. Stopped down in a busy scene it disappears to a level not immediately recognizable. Try at f4 in a scene containing lots of grey at the edges of the frame.

Of course, my experience is a sample of 1.

JCM-Photos

To find a magenta cast (I have no experence of this lens), the lens should be also tested at different focusing distances not only different apertures to find out the bad condition point.

It can easily be revealed and documented with a white translucend lens filter, the one that is used to make color vigneting lens correction profiles for Hasselblad Phocus or Capture One.

Why nobody does this simple test and shows the results ?
Sharpen your eyes not your files