XCD 21 mm lens discontinued?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gethyn

The Hasselblad XCD 21 mm f/4 lens is showing as 'discontinued' on the B&H website.  Does this mean that a new version is coming?

asfeir

Quote from: Gethyn on April 23, 2023, 06:36:28 AM
The Hasselblad XCD 21 mm f/4 lens is showing as 'discontinued' on the B&H website.  Does this mean that a new version is coming?
This is what B&H shows on its website, yet the XCD 21 is part of the new kit that includes X2D 100C, XCD 21mm f/4, and XCD 45mm f/4 P Lens. And this kit is shown as in stock on the same website. Hasselblad and other vendors do not list it as discontinued.

hcubell

The Hasselblad Rep for the North America just confirmed on the X2D FB Page  that in fact the 21mm is discontinued by Hasselblad, but that it is still available in some stores and as part of the X2D Lightweight Travel Kit. While there is no confirmation at this point, a V series version of the 21mm lens is presumably not far behind. I do not own the existing 21mm lens. However, the reports about its IQ have been very favorable so I would not expect that a V series replacement will improve on its IQ. It may be faster and AF better, but for a 21mm lens, how important are those features?

glaiben

Quote from: hcubell on April 24, 2023, 04:12:33 AM
The Hasselblad Rep for the North America just confirmed on the X2D FB Page  that in fact the 21mm is discontinued by Hasselblad...

I feel terrible for him - indicative of communications failure within the company for the NA Sales Mgr to be blindsided by two major retailers on this development.

MarkN

Given how long it is taking to see the new 90mm appear, having an 'old' 21mm lens will be a blessing when everyone else is waiting for the successor 21mm lens to appear.  Having one of the last of a discontinued lens is not a bad thing when its replacement could be a year or more away.

MSuser

Quote from: MarkN on April 24, 2023, 01:26:03 PM
Given how long it is taking to see the new 90mm appear, having an 'old' 21mm lens will be a blessing when everyone else is waiting for the successor 21mm lens to appear.  Having one of the last of a discontinued lens is not a bad thing when its replacement could be a year or more away.

What is the connection between a production delay in the new 90V lens and and any other lens? One lens, out of three new models, being delayed isn't a very reliable indicator that a different lens would have a similar delay.

The 38V and 55V lenses started shipping some months ago. Couldn't those lenses suggest a potential time frame for announcement and initial shipments of a future lens?

Andy Miller Photo UK

The XCD 21mm is one of my favourite XCD lenses and focal lengths I own.
Should a V version appear, given how good the original XCD 21mm is it would be hard to justify upgrading to a new version.
I was notified that my 90mm V should be delivered early in May. But no guarantees.

paratom

Quote from: MSuser on April 24, 2023, 02:52:21 PM

What is the connection between a production delay in the new 90V lens and and any other lens? One lens, out of three new models, being delayed isn't a very reliable indicator that a different lens would have a similar delay.

The 38V and 55V lenses started shipping some months ago. Couldn't those lenses suggest a potential time frame for announcement and initial shipments of a future lens?

In Germany 38 and 55 are very hard to get/ not to find in stock. I waited weeks for the 38 and have not found a 55 in stock for months. SO I hope it is not an indicater for other lenses announced in the future.

MSuser

Quote from: paratom on April 25, 2023, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: MSuser on April 24, 2023, 02:52:21 PM

In Germany 38 and 55 are very hard to get/ not to find in stock. I waited weeks for the 38 and have not found a 55 in stock for months. SO I hope it is not an indicater for other lenses announced in the future.

I didn't suggest you would find the 38V or 55V in stock at your favorite dealer. It was the time between announcement and the first lenses starting to ship which I mentioned. The 38V and 55V began shipping soon after they were announced. Purchasers started posting pictures online soon after.

With the existing customer base and new sales of the X2D, orders placed for new lenses exceeded available supply immediately upon announcement; but lenses were shipping and continued to ship. Backorders have been gradually filled and wait times reduced considerably based on what I've seen posted both here and elsewhere.

https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=8693.0

How long individuals have had to wait for an order to be filled has varied depending on the dealer or source as well as when orders were placed. Allocations will vary depending on how many a dealer has ordered, along with other possible factors. None of this really sounds too unusual for a new product, especially for a small manufacturer. I hope you will have whatever you're looking for soon.

TimH

For me, the XCD21 is a wee bit too wide.  When I need it, nothing else will do, but I miss the 24mm for my old H system.  Thus I'm hoping the V replacement for the XCD21 will be 24mm.  It will get more use, for sure, though I'll probably keep the 21. 

JCM-Photos

It depends if the new version is only  V type "cosmetics" it should be fast.
If the optics part is completely new it's another story
Sharpen your eyes not your files

MGrayson

Quote from: JCM-Photos on April 29, 2023, 02:56:34 AM
It depends if the new version is only  V type "cosmetics" it should be fast.
If the optics part is completely new it's another story

I've no idea what's in the pipeline, but a fast-focusing ultra-wide doesn't sound like a high priority for anyone. OTOH, it was really hard to make a 21mm lens with that coverage, even with in-camera distortion correction, so I don't foresee an easy change to the optical formula. A 24mm would be nice but, as you say, would also be a new optical design.

Matt

flash

I'd much prefer a 20-35 zoom over a replacement prime. There's a bunch of holes on the wide end of HB's XCD coverage that a single zoom would fix. Especially if it's as good as the 35-75.

Gordon

doc steel

the only focal length that is really missing, where a gap can be found in the application, would be something that corresponds to a small picture equivalent of about 20mm, i.e. a picture angle of about 90°. it should then be a 24-26mm lens.

JCM-Photos

My opinion is that Hasselblad X cameras are so compact and lightweight that any zoom is ruining this advantage against compact primes.

Best would be having both, but I guess that Hasselblad doesn't have the ressources doing it all in a short time.
Sharpen your eyes not your files