XCD 21 mm lens discontinued?

Previous topic - Next topic

Photon42

I am still hoping for a 24mm in the latest make-up. My one rationale for that is that it fits their focal length strategy. New lenses filling gaps, rather than replacing older lenses. My other one is that I would really like it  8)

tomislav

polychloros

I recently rented the 21/F4 for a job and was sufficiently satisfied with it to buy one. It worked very nicely for architectural interiors in a tight space (basically upmarket caravans), plenty sharp enough and handled some tricky light situations with aplomb. There was a little bit more distortion (even with the lens profile applied) than I was expecting with a prime lens at this price point but not enough to be a deal breaker. Maybe the replacement (V version?) will be better in this regard because I'm not sure the other V type improvements (AF motor, etc) are compelling enough reasons to upgrade a lens like this.

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: polychloros on May 12, 2023, 08:33:30 PM
I recently rented the 21/F4 for a job and was sufficiently satisfied with it to buy one. It worked very nicely for architectural interiors in a tight space (basically upmarket caravans), plenty sharp enough and handled some tricky light situations with aplomb. There was a little bit more distortion (even with the lens profile applied) than I was expecting with a prime lens at this price point but not enough to be a deal breaker. Maybe the replacement (V version?) will be better in this regard because I'm not sure the other V type improvements (AF motor, etc) are compelling enough reasons to upgrade a lens like this.

My understanding is that all lenses will be updated to V level at some point. Whether this means an optical improvement will also be included remains to be seen (though likely). As good as any existing lens is, it can be better. There are no perfect lenses.

Steve Hendrix/CI

KC2020

Quote from: polychloros on May 12, 2023, 08:33:30 PM
I recently rented the 21/F4 for a job and was sufficiently satisfied with it to buy one.

I did the same thing this week, though I bought before trying.

It's an impressive lens and given that we have no idea what will replace it ,or when, I'm glad I was able to buy a new 21 with just 2 clicks on it.

If they're going to do the V upgrade to all the lenses I'm not sure the 'improvements' will be important for me. Improved focus speed, smaller / lighter but at a significant price increase would not compel me to replace 21, 35-75, 90 or 120. They're all pretty damn good.

JCM-Photos

It depends who makes the V model lenses, and shutter aperture assembly.
The shutter aperture assembly of XCD lenses is the same as HC, HCD lenses and is a Hasselblad in house sub-assembly, the lenses are a Nittoh Japan design and build.
If V lenses have other origins it's normal that they have to be completely redesigned.

The XCD 21 is really exceptional, and better than the other brand, or even HCD's
At 50:41 Pier Nordlund, optical department chief, speaks about the XCD21, in lab comparisons it's corner coma default is two time less than on the Fuji 23mm
https://youtu.be/zKG-bUc3qDY

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Iceman1331

I have used the 21 mm for several years for travel and landscape shooting. I have found that it is the best xcd lens so far for what I used it for in terms of color and functionality. Recently I went to Greece, Turkey, Spain and Portugal, and took many photos with just the 21 mm and the result is excellent especially with HB's built-in color chemistry scheme showing photos looked like oil paintings. With the rumor of discontinuation of this lens, I will definitely hold on to it. There seems to be a continued high demand for this lens and I don't rule out that the the 2nd hand market price will increase as a result.

polychloros

Quote from: Iceman1331 on June 02, 2023, 06:13:24 AM
There seems to be a continued high demand for this lens and I don't rule out that the the 2nd hand market price will increase as a result.

I guess that depends upon whether there is a replacement of some kind but it is odd that Hasselblad would discontinue such a key lens without at least signposting a replacement.

Have Hasselblad actually confirmed the discontinuation? It might simply be that the lens is built in batches and, for whatever reason, Hasselblad are unable to give their distributors and dealers a date for future deliveries of this particular lens.

mmanesh

Funny, the XCD 21 is gone from the Hasselblad EU online store completely. I guess the last way to get one new is to buy the X2D Lightweight Field Kit?!
I do not really need the 21mm focal length often enough and probably the 30 or even 38 do well for me... but weird to see it be gone without notice.

Georg Kovalcik

Ok, B&H lists it as "No Longer Available" and some internet rumor sites say it´s discontinued.
But there is no statement from Hasselblad stating this and it´s still on their website:
https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/lenses/xcd-4-21mm/

Here in Europe dealers say it´s on back order with some stating a delivery in 3-4 weeks.

Bob Andersson

My local dealer (Clifton Cameras in Bristol, UK) shows three in stock right now but another dealer in the UK shows it on back order. It's a lens that raely leaves my camera. Hasselblad might do well to spend a little of their social media budget to resolve the uncertainty...  ::)

mjhillsc

Having rented and then bought and then used the 21mm XCD lens for awhile, my opinion is that it is a niche lens that probably had/has a very small market.  Just my opinion.  As Hasselblad moves to a new lens architecture, it seems to me that they may move away from putting tremendous resource into a lens that isn't going to meet a larger audience's needs.  I do love the 21mm for a limited number of things.  Without quoting specs let's just say it is wickedly wide.  And, truth-be-told, you put a 21mm XCD lens on a 907x and your are the talk of the pool party!  Kidding aside, the three new lenses introduced with the X2D seem to signal a new direction for Hasselblad's lens development of small, compact, light and "faster."  Technically, meeting those criteria for a new 20 or 21mm seems like a very high hurdle.  It seems that it would make sense for them to add a few zooms to that lineup because people gravitate toward zooms.  But, as pointed out earlier, zooms add weight and bulk, so who knows.  Zooms are also a compromise.  There is no disputing a zoom has to give up something against a prime to be a zoom.  It might be image quality in the case of other manufacturers or it might be as simple as aperture.  I'd guess that eventually all of the original XCD lenses will be discontinued.  The 21mm probably came sooner because the product forecasters decided ordering another batch wasn't prudent and the supplies were getting to the point that they needed to order more or pull the plug. 

outside_late

A 21mm might be too wide for most circumstances, but if the next lens available for the X system is 30mm, then we definitely need something wider.  I own the 30mm and I definitely need something wider.  I was considering the 21, and maybe will still get it at some point, but a 24 would be great.

o2mpx

Clearly each use case is different.

For my travel landscapes 80% are taken with the 21mm; similar to when I'm with the M10-R and the 21 SEM. Leveraging the 100mp sensor, if it's too wide, cropping in still provides enough pixels.

On the other extreme for landscape compression, the 120mm is used; a good balance being a heavy weight compared to the 21mm.

SrMi

Quote from: o2mpx on June 29, 2023, 02:43:59 PM
Clearly each use case is different.

For my travel landscapes 80% are taken with the 21mm; similar to when I'm with the M10-R and the 21 SEM.
<snip>

XCD 21mm corresponds to an 18mm M lens. It works very well in 1:1 mode (SWC focal length).