XCD 21 mm lens discontinued?

Previous topic - Next topic

Larsb

From what I could read online, seems like the 21mm had some very good performance.  I'm hoping for Hasselblad to come out with a new "V" lens that is wider than the 38mm (which I am really looking forward to receive when Hasselblad can make a few of them)
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

bcvthul

My guess is the H will come with a 25mm v lens...

fcarucci

Quote from: Larsb on June 30, 2023, 06:14:10 PM
From what I could read online, seems like the 21mm had some very good performance.  I'm hoping for Hasselblad to come out with a new "V" lens that is wider than the 38mm (which I am really looking forward to receive when Hasselblad can make a few of them)

Indeed, it's a fantastic lens.

Photon42

Quote from: bcvthul on July 01, 2023, 12:12:12 PM
My guess is the H will come with a 25mm v lens...

24/25 - that's my thinking, too. Maybe already earlier than the 90V  8)

Ikarus

I had the 21 with my X1D II, and it went when I sold out of the system.  It's a fantastic lens.

I'm not sure it is that niche - the ultra-wide field of view suits medium format, and on a 100MP MF sensor, there's lots of opportunity for cropping.  I bought the lens as, with minimal cropping on the sides, I had a digital SWC - a classic camera.

As for cost, surely Hasselblad has done the hard work already in designing the lens for the XCD format.  Presumably all that's required is to update the lens to the new V standard.  It would be a shame if this lens was discontinued.  Medium format is so well suited to fabulous wides.

Iceman1331

Quote from: Iceman1331 on June 02, 2023, 06:13:24 AM
I have used the 21 mm for several years for travel and landscape shooting. I have found that it is the best xcd lens so far for what I used it for in terms of color and functionality. Recently I went to Greece, Turkey, Spain and Portugal, and took many photos with just the 21 mm and the result is excellent especially with HB's built-in color chemistry scheme showing photos looked like oil paintings. With the rumor of discontinuation of this lens, I will definitely hold on to it. There seems to be a continued high demand for this lens and I don't rule out that the the 2nd hand market price will increase as a result.

In Feb of 2024 I will travel to South America and visit the famous Torres del Paine National Park in Chile. I will use my xcd 21 mm to shoot the sceneries and will have fun. The xcd 21 mm will be best fit for this kind of nature photography.