Wired Remote for X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

hcubell

The original X1D did not have a dedicated port for a wired cable release. However, someone did a little experiment by taking a generic wired cable release with a 2.5mm jack, attached a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter, and plugged it into the headphone port of the X1. Voila!! It worked to trigger the shutter. Has anyone tried to do the same by connecting the Hasselblad cable release for the X1D to the USB-C port on the X2D with an adapter to see if that would trigger the shutter? I assume a USB-C port is different as it is a digital connection, not an electrical connection, but I thought I would ask.
Alternatively, it will be possible to use an iPhone running Phocus Mobile 2 with a hard wired connection to the USB-C port to release the shutter (I.e., when Phocus Mobile 2 is updated for the X2D).

tenmangu81

When Phocus Mobile 2 will be updated for the X2D, the best way will be to connect with the camera using Wifi rather than a cable, won't it ?
Robert

outside_late

I would really like to hear the product manager for the X2D explain the choice to remove a remote trigger port.

man-overboard

Is there no way through the USB-C port?

hcubell

Quote from: man-overboard on October 01, 2022, 07:58:17 AM
Is there no way through the USB-C port?

Somebody with an X2D could try it, but I am not optimistic.

bdp

Even a USB solution would not be ideal - I shoot tethered a lot so the port would be used, and shooting from the keyboard is not fast enough a lot of the time, and you can't hold your finger on the button to shoot multiple frames in quick succession. I use the wired release because I often can't reach the camera but need to shoot quickly when action happens on set. Maybe an iPhone solution would suffice, but it's just cumbersome and it's so annoying they took this port away. It's not like they don't have room for it, or it's expensive to include. I'll wait for the second version of the X2D when they put it back in...

glent

I tried to use the Hasselblad Remote release connected to the X2D with an Apple USB C to stereo jack - it did not work unfortunately.

hcubell

Quote from: glent on October 01, 2022, 11:00:16 AM
I tried to use the Hasselblad Remote release connected to the X2D with an Apple USB C to stereo jack - it did not work unfortunately.

Thanks for trying.

Photon42

It is unfortunate they are delayed with the Phocus Mobile 2 application.

hcubell

I expect it would be possible for Hasselblad or some third party vendor to offer a new wired remote that would have the required electronics in it to trigger the shutter through the usb-c port.  Of course, price is another matter.

Alex

Let's hope so - as previously mentioned in terms of using the USB port; there's a time for using tethered for capture and a time for using a wired remote for exposure - often within the same shoot/session; it'd be of great benefit not to have to keep un/plugging cables around the same port.

SrMi

I think that the best solution would be a Bluetooth remote: simple to connect, no cables to mess with, and port cover closed for better weather sealing.

Alex

If achieving the same immediacy as a wired setup (no wake up delay etc), then why not?

Alex

.. except it shouldn't require purely an i Phone/pad bluethroat setup to operate it.

SrMi

Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2022, 10:21:11 AM
If achieving the same immediacy as a wired setup (no wake up delay etc), then why not?
Good point. The BT remote may go to sleep after a while, which introduces unwanted lag due to wake up. Once active, the lag is very low.