Wired Remote for X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

You can tether and trigger when using Phocus 3.7. BUT we are waiting for the update to Phocus Mobile to see what is possible from smart devices. If you look at my thread on requested firmware updates  I have asked Hasselblad R&D to provide an option to pair a trigger using Bluetooth as well.

marcwilson

Anyone know of any update to wired shutter release for the X2D?
For over 25 years when working on a tripod I have always used a release cable and don't want to stop now. Far better option than via iPhone etc.
Currently use x1d2 so I'm good for now but before I invest more fully in the system lenses I'd love to know.
Thanks.

Frankvth

there's only a Usb-C port on the X2D so there's no option to have a release cable.

You are stuck with the app. Works great in my opinion. I get your sentiment though.

marcwilson

Thanks. Yes it's hard to engage with a subject when you're looking at your phone to press the shutter button! Not sure Hasselblad thought this one through from a photographers perspective.

Ralf

I think it's a terrible bad habit (also from other camera manufacturers) to only offer remote shutter release via smartphone. With Hasselblad, it's even more difficult because this only works with iOS smartphones. As an Android user, you're ignored and forced to buy an Apple smartphone, which I'm not prepared to do.

Larsb

Quote from: Ralf on March 26, 2024, 09:04:27 AMI think it's a terrible bad habit (also from other camera manufacturers) to only offer remote shutter release via smartphone. With Hasselblad, it's even more difficult because this only works with iOS smartphones. As an Android user, you're ignored and forced to buy an Apple smartphone, which I'm not prepared to do.

While I quite like iOS (and Mac OS), I totally agree with the comment above and would much rather have a dedicated wired (or unwired) remote and not use a phone to trigger the shutter release. I think Hasselblad could out-source the development of a remote trigger if they do not have the resources to do it themselves.
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

Georg Kovalcik

Options would be USB, WiFi and Bluetooth. With DJI in the background it canĀ“t be that hard to provide e.g. a Bluetooth remote trigger. And yes, you absolutely right, for such an accessory no one would demand it has to be "handmade in Sweden".

JCM-Photos

Only the X2D has no wired remote release.
All other X cameras (including 907x 50c) work with the same Hasselblad X release cord plugged in the Mic socket or in a special remote socket for the 907X 100c.

The X release is a work of art, a big flat metal case with a rubberized base, a huge orange release button. The wire has an external woven coat and it comes in a nice leather pouch, orange tinted inside
Sharpen your eyes not your files

JCM-Photos

X1D is WiFi triggered with Phocus Mobile One
X1DII, X2D, X907 50c and X907 100c are bluetooth triggered With Phocus Mobile two

It works very well (but only with iPhone).

If phone triggering is a few ms slower than cable it doesn't matter, digital MF is not for sports, wildlife or scientific uses.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Ralf

This is of no use to anyone who only has an X2D and Android.

And by the way, I find it much easier to plug a cable into the camera (or even easier to screw it into a thread on the shutter release) than to connect any Bluetooth or WiFi connections.

marcwilson

Very much not about speed etc for me but 100% about engagement. With a proper release such as Hasselblad's for x1d2 it allows full engagement between myself and the person I am making a portrait with, or even just myself and environment around me. I can rest my finger on the physical button, engage with subject and press whenever I want, without looking at remote. The remote becomes 'invisible'.
With a phone it is very different, it adds extra distraction for sitter and you need to glance at it to make sure finger is on button.
(Aside from this the experience of using the X series cameras is wonderful and not rushed at all which is lovely.)
I should add I use the x1d2 so not an issue for me today, but as I look at investing in other lenses to use this camera for editorial / commercial work, as well as project work I currently use it for, it becomes an issue as I would look at XD2.

marcwilson

Trying it out today I've seen on the 1dxII when camera is connected via remote on Phocus it takes over viewing completely not allowing you to use live view or evf on camera at all...only live view on iphone,...that is truly terrible, unless I'm doing it wrong and missed settings options to still use on camera evf / screen?
Is that same on 2DX?

MGrayson

I just tried it on the X2D. Live view works on both the camera and the phone simultaneously.

marcwilson

Thanks...good to know

Quote from: MGrayson on March 27, 2024, 08:52:23 AMI just tried it on the X2D. Live view works on both the camera and the phone simultaneously.

polychloros

Quote from: JCM-Photos on March 26, 2024, 10:43:37 PMIf phone triggering is a few ms slower than cable it doesn't matter, digital MF is not for sports, wildlife or scientific uses.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the iPhone remote being a few ms slower and I think each photographer can decide for themselves what digital MF is for. You can spin things however you like (and I have no idea why you feel the need to do so) but the lack of a physical cable release for the flagship camera is a disappointing omission that makes the camera less than ideal for certain uses.