X1D II - Orders, Deliveries, ETA’s and Etc

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul925

Quote from: matthewcng on July 16, 2019, 05:35:58 PM
Just noticed that B&H updated its availability from mid July to Aug 1st.

:(

Yesterday it just said "coming soon", so I'm not sure if this is progress.  It still may be optimistic in that Samy's Camera is currently showing 8/19 for estimated ship date. 

The question I still have is, has anyone received their pre-order yet?  :)

Shuttermuse

My dealer has gone very quiet 🤫 this week. I don't think we will see shipments this month. I get the feeling not all things are on-track.

Certainly can't be difficult for Hasselblad to send out some updates.

And now, it's obviously not good news that the 60.1mp Sony a7R4 is being released because if I didn't already own an X1D and a bunch of XCD lenses I'd consider it a possible option/competitor

Mr-Anderson

And now, it's obviously not good news that the 60.1mp Sony a7R4 is being released because if I didn't already own an X1D and a bunch of XCD lenses I'd consider it a possible option/competitor
[/quote]

I dont see any problem with that. Two different system. But the quality of the picture from  X1D
has no competions so far....

sanglier

Quote from: Mr-Anderson on July 18, 2019, 05:18:42 AM
I dont see any problem with that. Two different system. But the quality of the picture from  X1D

wait for the Sony aha 7RIV tests before having an opinion.

Mr-Anderson

Quote from: sanglier on July 18, 2019, 09:38:34 AM

Full sensor...medium sensor.....;-)

matthewcng

I have sent an email to B&H asking about the availability to see if pre-orders will be shipped out before Aug 1st. Unfortunately, they are expecting to receive the camera to their warehouse on July 31st.

2 more weeks to go!!!

SrMi

Quote from: sanglier on July 18, 2019, 09:38:34 AM

IMO, if someone preferred X1D to a7rIII before, then a7rIV does not change anything (what we know about a7rIV: apparently same DR as a7rIII, the resolution about same as X1D if cropping to 4:3).

Shuttermuse

I am not making any arguments for the a7R4 - except for the fact that, a certain part of a new market Hasselblad was attempting to address with the new pricing and features of the Mark II now has some new options with the new a7R4.... we all would like Hasselblad to make cameras just for us brand fans, but the reality is they need to be commercially competitive

Vieri

About the new Sony, to add to what has been said already I think that if someone intended to choose (or already chose) the X1D I or II over a FF camera with 42-50 MP, they won't change their mind for a FF camera with 61 MP which, effectively, is a very little (to invisible) increase in resolution over the previously available FF alternatives in the 50 MP range.

More in general, I think that with the current offer of FF and MF mirrorless cameras the reasons to choose one over the other is not MP, unless you want to go for the Fuji 100MP which - at present - has a distinct resolution advantage over the rest. User experience, lens availability, user interface, different "drawing", feature set, etc are (finally) getting more important than resolution alone. Nikon Z, Canon R, Sony A7, Panasonic SR1 all offer ~50MP, and so does the X1D I & II and the GFX 50R/S, and 50MP (with the current image quality all these sensors offer) is more than enough for a very large percentage of users out there. The new Sony is simply a small, incremental resolution update over the previous model (Sony style, they seem to make a point to release more cameras than everyone in camera history!), and I doubt it would make a current MF user switch. I think it's a more appealing update for FF users that were still in the 24 MP range, but of course these are just my proverbial .02.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Shuttermuse

It's not a small bump in resolution... it's 61 megapixels, more than the GFX50 and X1D. It's also US$3500, it has phase/contrast hybrid AF system. It can shoot landscape/Architecture at 240megapixels, it has lots of good glass available. Every argument here is made to support OUR community feelings and behavior which is loyal to Hasselblad.... my point remains that they were targeting a new market with the reduced price, and now that market has more options...

Vieri

Quote from: Shuttermuse on July 19, 2019, 03:27:56 AM
It's not a small bump in resolution... it's 61 megapixels, more than the GFX50 and X1D. It's also US$3500, it has phase/contrast hybrid AF system. It can shoot landscape/Architecture at 240megapixels, it has lots of good glass available. Every argument here is made to support OUR community feelings and behavior which is loyal to Hasselblad.... my point remains that they were targeting a new market with the reduced price, and now that market has more options...

...and my point is that that market already had a lot of options in the same resolution range, very similar to this. I am not defending or supporting anything, why would I, I just don't think that the new Sony will make someone that was considering medium format change their mind if what was available already didn't do that already. By the way, 61 MP versus 50 MP is a truly minor bump in resolution, you should consider 8272 vs 9504 and 6200 vs 6336, is 14% on the long side, but just 2% on the short side, so if you crop the Sony file to 4:3, you'll end up with 2% more resolution. Hardly a game changer, if you ask me.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

SrMi

Quote from: Shuttermuse on July 19, 2019, 03:27:56 AM

I assume someone picks MF format also because they prefer 4:3 format. As Vieri and I already wrote, the resolution of a7rIV is almost the same as X1D when cropped to 4:3. The AF system was already much better in a7RII/III than in X1D. The incremental AF improvement in a7rIV does not introduce a new aspect. And neither does IBIS or cost.

A7rIV's Pixel Shift requires shooting 963.2 MP uncompressed raw data to create a 240 Mp image in post.
It is likely that it will be not suitable for any landscape that has slight movements.

I find Pixel Shift interesting, but in practice too bothersome. Never used it on my a7rIII and rarely used it on my m43 cameras (Panasonic has a very good implementation). Judging by forum posts, it seems that Pixel Shift is not much used on a7rIII.

IMO, A7rIV will attract mainly people who skipped the upgrade from a7rII to a7rIII ... and those with GAS :-).

- Srdjan

Bob Andersson

My UK dealer chased Hasselblad up on their own initiative yesterday and are still being quoted end of July - fingers crossed.   :)

As for the A7rIV, I watched the launch event and I came away thinking that the marketing boys and girls had been given too much slack. For example, that 15 stop DR quoted at the top of one of the early slides is, as later reported by DPR, only available via compressed RAWs or 8 MP downscaled images! Could the A7rIV do a lot of what I intend to do with the X1D II? Of course it could. It can no doubt do some stuff better and can also do stuff the X1D II isn't capable of but, for me, that's not the point. At the end of my all too brief test drive of the original X1D earlier this year I didn't want to give the camera back!!!  8)

Shuttermuse

My dealer has just confirmed to me that the X1DII has been delayed into September. Their excuse is they don't have shoulder straps for it... only demo cameras are being shipped out to dealers now.. but those dealers, are probably just going to give those camera to their first order customers to use until the retail units arrive....

Ralf Mueller

My dealer received a X1DII demo camera yesterday. He offered me a X1D from his rental pool for free until my X1DII body arrives, this
is what I call a perfect customer/dealer relationship. I got the XCD 45 at the weekend and hopefully will receive the XCD 80 some time this week,
they seem to be rare as well.

Lets hope for the best, but for now I can start learning to operate the X1D and then once I receive my X1DII I will be the master of X  ;D

Sorry, too hot here today. Cheers, Ralf