X1D+21 mm XCD for photographing Upper Antelope Canyon in Arizona

Previous topic - Next topic

jwillson

Quote from: Iceman1331 on August 27, 2019, 11:22:59 AM

With ISO640 (higher ISO needed because of handheld) you 'loose' approximately 2 stops of PDR (according to http://www.photonstophotos.net/).

Because of hand-held, the X1d needs to be set to shutter speed priority to at least 1/90 S in order to avoid hand shake. Of course, this depends on individual's ability to hold the camera steady and some may need to set to 1/120 s to keep the photos from blurry. On the other hand, this high shutter speed would reduce the intake of the beautiful ambient color reflected off from the canyon wall. For correct exposure, the aperture will be larger and reduce the depth- of- field of the photos. The only solution is to set the ISO to a higher value to compensate for the correct exposure. Hopefully, the HB's Phocus software will come to be handy to soften the grainy effect due to high ISO used.
[/quote]
There is one more solution I can think of that would work well for this sort of situation...

- Put the camera in "manual" mode
- Set the shutter speed wherever you need to in order to ensure critically sharp images
- Set the aperture wherever you need to for appropriate depth of field
- Set the ISO wherever you need to for correct exposure, up to and including ISO 3200
- Use the back button for AF (or focus manually)
- Put the drive on continuous
- Take a bunch of pictures (till the buffer fills up) keeping the camera as steady as you can.  Eleven or twelve on the X1D Mk II
- Adjust the images the exact same way in the image processing app of your choice (Phocus/Lightroom/whatever)
-Cull any frames that are less sharp than the rest (often the first and last due to your finger on the shutter)
- Align and stack all remaining images with a mean combine; the noise from using a higher ISO will be gone, and you will regain much of if not all of your lost dynamic range since the noise floor will drop.

This can be processor intensive with 50 megapixel files.  It gets even worse if you up-res before aligning in order to maintain resolution.  But it is a great way to get around situations where light is limited and you don't have or can't use a tripod.  I have used this technique a bunch of times.  Very time consuming (in post processing) but works really well.  Also guaranteed to prevent moirĂ©.

fotophil

Several years ago the photo tours were only about 2X the standard tour and lasted almost 2x longer than the  standard tour. The photo tour guides were able to stagger the standard tour timing and actually hold back the standard tours for a few minutes so that there were short periods of no crowdsj. At 4X the extra cost is probably still worth it if you are permitted to use a tripod. A tripod is a biggie if you are searching for sharp mages with plenty of depth of field , low noise and msximum dynamic range.   In my expereince the Hassleblad SWC was good and the angle of fiew is similar to the X1D with 21mm lens in the square format. The 21mm lens on full format of the X1D may be a bit too wide. You might experiment with a 30mm of even a 45mm for texture studies. Lens selection is tough because changing lenses in the Canyon is a bsd idea. Much of the sand falls from above on windy days and a wide brim hat will give you protecrion as will a lens hood. Perhaps a second tour using a different lens is worth consideration. There are several alternative canyons that can toured from the same location. I believe there is a Facebook Page for the Antelope Slot Canyon Tours that discusses the options. Good luck

Iceman1331

Quote from: fotophil on August 31, 2019, 04:51:30 AM
The 21mm lens on full format of the X1D may be a bit too wide. You might experiment with a 30mm of even a 45mm for texture studies.
If I use the 21 mm lens, I could crop out those unwanted areas during post processing. However, if I use the 45 mm lens, I am limited to what I can cut out, although the images may have more texture than those taken with the 21 mm. I am still debating which lens I will bring to my trip and I wont carry both lenses on site.   

tedtrimmer

It is truly amazing the difference between the 45mm, 30mm, and 21mm XCD lenses.  For a travel shoot I need all three.

Iceman1331

I just came back from the upper Antelope Canyon trip and shot the following photo with my x1d and the 21 mm xcd lens showing the deep DR in its full effect:

https://www8.online-convert.com/dl/web2/download-file/354f178e-2982-4d5c-ad38-06dd19513aaf/997DB60F-AE75-4F58-9D2F-1D9B32791FC3.jpg

JoeC

Quote from: Iceman1331 on September 24, 2019, 06:00:26 PM
I just came back from the upper Antelope Canyon trip and shot the following photo with my x1d and the 21 mm xcd lens showing the deep DR in its full effect:

https://www8.online-convert.com/dl/web2/download-file/354f178e-2982-4d5c-ad38-06dd19513aaf/997DB60F-AE75-4F58-9D2F-1D9B32791FC3.jpg

Link doesn't work. Got this:

Quoteerror_code   103
message   "The file maximum downloads has been reached"

Joe

Iceman1331

fotophil

It looks like the combo of 21mm lens and square format worked for you! Antelope Canyon is a tough place to photograph! Were the crowds bad? What was the shutter speed and ISO?? Did the camera keep free of sand and dust?

Iceman1331

Quote from: fotophil on September 25, 2019, 11:59:06 AM
It looks like the combo of 21mm lens and square format worked for you! Antelope Canyon is a tough place to photograph! Were the crowds bad? What was the shutter speed and ISO?? Did the camera keep free of sand and dust?
Hello fotophil, I took this shot using 1/100 s, f 5.6, and iso @200. I held my camera very steady. It was crowded but manageable. Be a reminder to those who may go there to bring a cover for your camera because of dust and sand flying around inside and outside of the canyon, especially the sandy dust kicked up by the open top 14 passenger truck we were on and those passing by towards the canyon. You want to protect your expensive equipment and avoid deep cleaning afterward. Tried not to change lens or filter at the site. I enjoyed the trip and satisfied with the photos I took so far.