150mm versus 120mm(Macro)

Previous topic - Next topic

regeti

Hello Everyone,

I want to hear your opinions if you own both these lenses. I am right now not able to decide if I should buy 120mm macro for my portrait work (mostly headshots) or should I just stay with my 150mm/3.2N lens which I already own. I know with the 120MM you can get closer to the subject but does anyone have any wisdom that you could share that would make my decision little easier  ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Srinivasa Regeti

davidthescot

I own the 150 and it is a fine and sharp lens.  I also own the 100 and it is also a very good lens.  Do I need the 120?  No because I do not do any macro work and I find that the 100 + 150 meets all my portraiture needs.  BTW I also like the compact size of the 100mm and the  f2.2 max. aperture.  The 120 is a big heavy lens and is a pain to carry around with all the other kit.

Alex Maxim

120 has a very slow and unreliable autofocus for a portrait lens. It's also pretty heavy for handholding, as David noted.
Alex

regeti

David,

Can you get very close with your 100mm to the subject (especially people) ? Is there going to be a lot of distortion when you get too close to your subject ?
(Sorry if my questions sound silly, I am new to medium format)

Thanks,
Srinivasa Regeti

regeti

Thanks for responding back Alex.

The only reason why I was even considering 120mm is because when I was doing online searches I found few photographers using 120mm macro for portraits and thats when I started thinking may be I should look into this lens.

I really appreciate your responses back.

Thank you !

NickT

I too think the 120 is too big/slow/heavy for what you want.

As for distortion with the 100 2.2 I guess it depends how close you go, certainly a head and shoulders is fine, a head only would I  think be too close.

Some reference images here:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,1447.0.html

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

I would say stick with the 150. Use an extention ring (13mm) if you need to get closer. The 150 is one of the fastest focussing HB lenses. The 120 is heavy and slow. The 100 is another good option but taking a head only you need to come in so close perspective will be less flattering according to many...

rem

I had the same question but I had nothing. I tried the 150er and the 120er. I decieded for the 120er and I love it very much. For portraits its fast enough (not so fast as the 150er) and the Quality is fantastic. Bu yes its heavy. Do you know Marco Grob, the Portraitphotographer?  I talk t a lot with him about and he is one of the greatest fans of the 120er... He does all Portraits with the 120er... But if you already own the 150er, then...hm...
rem

regeti

Nick,

Thanks very much.

Dustbak,

Thanks for the information and I think my decision is now pretty easy, will stick with the 150mm and may be look at an extension ring.

Regards,
Srinivasa Regeti