Phocus Survey

Previous topic - Next topic

studiohjelm

I dont like Phocus at all.
Spesially that we cannot develop files from other cameras together with 3f.
And that we cannot develop direct from our server.

I think hasselblads good times as the most usable camera for proffessionals are definitiv over. Now it is more for spesial interested......

I have given up. Someone wants to by a H3 and a 503 with P20?    :'(

maretzo

H2-22.
Cannot use Phocus 2.0, cause it produce huge banding. Have to use Phocus 1.2 to download and then I can use Phocus 2.0 to treat the image.
Direct download from CS4 seems to produce stunning results.
According to Hassy's staff, seems to be a bug somewhere in the firmware or software.
Greetings

koendewaal

macbook pro unibody 2.53gHz intel core duo 4GB ram

speed_4/5
stability_7

koen_antwerp_BE

norbertm

I compared Phocus , Flexcolor and Adobe's Light Room. I printed a one by one meter portrait.
From now on I will only work with Phocus when I need it for architecture photography. All the rest is LIGHT ROME
Mostly I am a people photographer and light room is a fantastic product , the way you can handle the raw files , work on your raw files,  it is fantastic and good quality.
Skin tones are very good. I do not see the difference with Phocus but maybe one day you will prove me that phocus is better qaulity.
I also did a test with the Phase One and it worked perfect , even for children photography the autofocus was much more better then the Hasselblad.
The connection with the Mac was also perfect. Since I use a fir wire 800 transmitter I do not have any more problems with the connection to my Mac.
It seems that the fire wire output of all my Mac's was not high enough, with the transmitter no more problems . With the Phase One no single problem.
Do not worry I am not going to change maybe because I love hasselblad to much since years. But when you are married for several years sometimes the grass can be greener on the other side.
Norbert Maes.
www.norbertmaes.be
Sorry for all the linguistic faults I made.
I haav since yesterday the new IMAC 27 inch with 512mb  video ram and 8 Gb of ram.
I also have two Mac Pro dual core's intel 2,66ghz  xeon with 8 gb ram software 10.5.8 VRAM 256 mb

Dustbak

Studio machine:

MacPro 2.26 Octocore, 24Gb main memory, ATI4890 with 1Gb memory, 4drive Raid0.
Performance with single shot images: 7
Performance for multishot images: 6
Stability with single shot images: 9
Stability with multishot images:8

Considering this is one of the fastest machines you can get at this moment performance is way below what you want it and you should feel ashamed for these numbers.

Location machine:

Early 2008MBP 15", 6Gb memory, Nvidia 8600GT video controller, 200gb HD.
Performance with single shot images: 6
Performance for multishot images: 4
Stability with single shot images: 8
Stability with multishot images:6

I know this machine is not the latest and fastest version. It was totally cool with Flexcolor under the same shooting circumstance.

On the whole I believe Phocus can be seriously improved on the performance part. I have reason to believe there are issues related to performance, especially in the multishot area. Stability I find much improved over previous versions. I currently only find occassional glitches which I know will be fixed or are worked upon. Performance is the area that needs attention right now.

I am willing to accept Phocus is heavier and needs better and faster hardware, eg. the lastest hardware. But even than it is still not where it should be. For the people that are not using the latest hardware Flexcolor should be a good alternative but indeed the color profiles are no longer attached to the files which is a problem that started with Snow Leopard. That should be resolved. All in all Phocus is still not at the same level as Flexcolor used to be performance & stability wise.

Monty Rakusen

Please would you delete Bernardos post not just because it's offensive but because it has no usefulness whatsoever. I have been on this forum and flex for many years and it has always been a place where people were friendly, often entertaining and above all helpful. This is a forum for Hasselblad users, most of whom are professional photographers and I would consider that the word professional was the key here. Clearly there is some disappointment in the performance of Phocus, which I share, and there is also a lack of understanding as to what Phocus can do. Offensive posting which is common on other forums is not going to serve any useful purpose here.

Monty Rakusen

Macbook Pro 15
Intel Core Duo
2.33Ghz
4 Ram
Radeon X1600

Speed/ Performance: 4
Reliability:4

Mac Pro
Dual Core Intel Xeon
2.66 Ghz
4 Ram
NVIDIA Geoforce 8800GT

Speed/ Performance: 7
Reliability:6

Problems experienced:

Cropping tool intermittently refuses to crop.
Phocus uses too much processing power to use 'OLD STANDARD' tethered.
Last frame refuses to load intermittently.
Intermittent restart camera.
Phocus is still not as good or as reliable as flexcolour, although it does have better features, but without the reliability, better features become pointless.

NickDunmur

MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM

not the best specced machine to attempt to run Phocus perhaps...which is why it performs so abysmally.

Speed 5

Stability 2 (frequent crashes render it unusable really)

Sticking with Flexcolor, Raw Developer and Lightroom. Flexcolor is extremely stable on this machine config.

there is NO reason why something like Phocus should not be able to run quite happily on older machines like mine. Hasselblad would do well to take a leaf (literally) out of Leaf Capture software (also free) which is a delight to use. It would seem Phocus is trying to emulate Capture One, Lightroom and others in its layout and functionality but not doing any of those things particularly well.

my two-penneth worth

Nick D
Nick Dunmur — photographer
Nottingham, UK
+44 844 5855505

Aileen

I LOVE Phocus 2, maybe there should be more trainigs for it. Cause I am tempted to think some don't even know half about it.

what I would like to see improved
-being able to delete just one of the adjustments in the adjustment browser and not just the last one
-stars and colors for approval levels (for now it isn't possible to select mulitiple images and set them all to yellow for instance)
-quicker preview when choosing another folder
-keep the last used capture folder as capture folder, for some reason it always returns to the previous folder
MacBookPro
    Intel Core 2 Duo
   2,66 GHz

4 GB

avedon1961

;)
Mac Pro 8 core 3,2 GHz 10Gbram 2xGeForce gt120 2 Apple Cinema display 30" + Wacom Cintiq 21"    Mac OSX 10.6.2

Phocus 2.0.1

performance/speed: 9

Reliability 8

I'm very happy with this version. Not crashing and the render of the image on the second display in full screen mode it's immediate!!!
Great job Hasselblad.

I didn't try yet how Aperture or Lightroom manage Hasselblad 3f raw files but I'm pretty sure nothing compares to Phocus.

jo waterbar

Hi Nick,

Mac OSX 10.6.2 Imac 27 i7- 8GB memory ram DDR3
Perf: 8,5
rellab: 7,5

Phocus crashes sometimes when I crop to 100% immediately. I use a 50mega and I find Phocus quiet slow to import a large number of pictures.
Now I open files with Phocus, work on the basics adjustments and then still use Lightroom, because some very important tools are not included with Phocus.
Jo

Henry

MacPro mid-2009 2x 2.26 Quad core Xeon, Radeon HD 4870, 8GB RAM, 30" display, OSX 10.6.2

Phocus is pretty reliable with the occasional crash when opening newly imported files (50 MP camera), and speed is not really an issue in comparison to LR3 or Aperture 3, but to get auto lens etc corrections you do need Phocus.

One real bugbear is the way pictures look so unsharp until viewed at 100% which can really put customers off...... Usually I just use lens auto correct (all 3, esp. with the 28 and ot HTS1.5 - saves a ton of time elsewhere!), set white balance and black and white points before exporting as 16bit TIFF to do other work in LR3 or PS CS4.  More tools would be welcome, but getting sharpness on screen is a real priority (glad to see it's not just me with this issue - beginning to think it was my eyes!

jeff.grant@pobox.com

iMac 24" with Eizo CG222W

2.93 Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB

ATI Radeon HD4850

Performance 5

Reliability 8
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

robertpoll

Core 2 Duo, 2.13GHz (windows XP)
4GB
GeForce 9800GT/1GB

Performance - 6
Reliability - 8
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

JAT

Phocus 2.0

Dell Dimension 8400 with RAM upgrade to 4GB and NVIDI GeForce 9 card.

Performance: 9
Reliability: 10

Exporting TIFF files takes 150 sec, exporting DNG files takes less than 30 sec