Release cable for X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterL

After few month of trial and error my customer/friend and myself finally have a beautifully working release cable for X1D. We are testing it now for 4 days and it is working perfectly. I am using it as well for connecting my SEITZ Roundshot fully automated VR Drive II with X1D and system works perfect. Now all users of Seitz VR Drive and X1D will be able to take beautiful panoramas with X1D.
   Please be advised, that my gizmo (release cable) was not tested or approved by Hasselblad, therefore using it MIGHT effect your warranty. I am not concern about my X1D warranty, as I need release cable more than warranty. All my VR Drive customers could not use X1D for panoramas, as there was no connecting cable available. I have now ordered X1D - Seitz VR Drive connecting cables from factory in Switzerland. ETA was not announced yet.
    Attached find a jpeg file with information where to order the 2 pieces needed - for a total of $4.28 (this is not a typo). I decided to use adapter cable (2.5mm to 3.5mm) with 90 degree  3.5mm  plug connecting to audio port on X1D
If you need more info, please email me on  lorberpeter@gmail.com or call my cell phone 561 289 0899, bus 561 361 0031 -Monday to Friday 9am to 5 pm.

sog1927

Well, I certainly feel dumb. I really didn't expect the audio jack to fire the camera, but I just stuck a 3.5mm plug in the upper port, shorted it, and the camera fired. I really expected this  to be much more complicated and require a USB connection. The camera seems to be no worse for wear.

Thanks, Peter!

PeterL

You and everyone else is welcome.
Enjoy, Peter

bdp

Well done Peter. I don't own an X1D but I'm sure this will be very popular.

What baffles me is why Hasselblad didn't come up with this if it is that easy and cheap! Everyone has been clamouring for it since the X1D was born.

Ben

PeterL

Thank you. Checked your web site. Great photography. Keep it up, Peter

fotophil

Thanks Peter for the wired remote tip. This is something that most of the X1D users have been requesting from Hasselblad ever since the camera was released.  Perhaps the geniuses at the factory as well as in New Jersey would take the time to test your remote and verify that it will not harm the camera. It really shouldn't be rocket science - who knows maybe they will retain you as a consultant? If the fix is as simple, harmless and effective as it seems, the Hasselblad folks ought to be very embarrassed!!!! Thanks again!

PeterL

Thanks for the email. Yes, it is simple and works.
Peter

JoeC

Peter is a highly respected Hasselblad dealer in Boca Raton, FL and I have come to know him since 2016 when I was evaluating the X1D for purchase. Peter has been enormously helpful since then helping me, and the X1D user community, with tips, workshops and customer guidance and support.

Peter, I'm impressed. You've "broken the code", and provided us with something we've been seeking since the X1D's inception. It's simple, cheap and, most of all, it works. Whether or not it affects the warranty is inconsequential to many of us. So thank you for your experimentation and sharing a solution with us. Hasselblad owes you thanks as well.

Joe

PeterL

Hi Joe, thanks for the nice comment. It is appreciated. Enjoy the release and have a great day, Peter

BillW

Wish someone from Hasselblad would comment on this.
Thanks
Bill

fotophil

I would also expect Hasselblad to provide input of this issue. It is very reassuring  to know that Peter is an experienced Hasselblad Dealer and that certainly that should add an enormous amount of credibility to the issue. I am concerned with warranty coverage because of the variety of failures associated with the X1D. If my lens should stop functioning as in the case of the 120mm macro lens or the camera body stops function for whatever strange reason and require a trip to the factory, I feel that the warranty protection is essential. The cost of out of warranty service can be extremely expensive for both parts and labor.

I hope that Hasselblad gets serious about the importance of the remote release for the X1D and take professional responsibility for addressing the issue instead of the low level of customer technical support that they  been demonstrated to date. Hasselblad designed the X1D and hopefully they have the technical competence to evaluate this issue. Based upon the user base demand for a remote release ever since the camera was release I find it disgusting that the situation has gotten so out of hand.

PeterL

I see many users of X1D are exited as I am about this release cable. I also understand some of you are concerned about harming your X1D. If you are concerned enough and want to try it on my camera, I have a workshop in South Florida in October. You can register on my website: https://www.peterlorber.com/key-west-south-beach-photography-wo . You can use my camera and  panoramic Roundshot VR Drive II connected to X1D with the cable to your heart's content.

hcubell

Quote from: fotophil on September 05, 2018, 03:00:01 AM
I would also expect Hasselblad to provide input of this issue. It is very reassuring  to know that Peter is an experienced Hasselblad Dealer and that certainly that should add an enormous amount of credibility to the issue. I am concerned with warranty coverage because of the variety of failures associated with the X1D. If my lens should stop functioning as in the case of the 120mm macro lens or the camera body stops function for whatever strange reason and require a trip to the factory, I feel that the warranty protection is essential. The cost of out of warranty service can be extremely expensive for both parts and labor.

I hope that Hasselblad gets serious about the importance of the remote release for the X1D and take professional responsibility for addressing the issue instead of the low level of customer technical support that they  been demonstrated to date. Hasselblad designed the X1D and hopefully they have the technical competence to evaluate this issue. Based upon the user base demand for a remote release ever since the camera was release I find it disgusting that the situation has gotten so out of hand.

I am not sure what they can say at this point. If they agree that it works and won't harm the camera, then the next question is why Hasslelbad itself has had over 2 years to figure this out and hasn't issued its own "official" cable release. This a pretty low tech device.

sog1927

It seems to me that Hasselblad really missed the boat here: they could have built a dedicated release out of 4-5 dollars worth of parts (retail!) and sold it for $150 or so (the price of the corresponding release for the Leica S).

fotophil

In my expereince with Canon Cameras the use of a wired handheld push button switch is a common approach to remote shutter releasing. What is so unusual about the X1D is that the camera body jack was defined by Hasselblad to be for headphone operation with no mention of remote shutter release. It seems strange that a headphone jack would have any relationshio with the shuitter.
Maybe during the early X1D design phase the camera was planned for handheld operation such that no one anticipated the need for a remote shutter release - I guess we are just lucky that a thread hole was included in camera body for tripod attachment. Perhaps as the design developed some clever designer realized the need for a remote release and modified the headphone jack but forgot to tell the others on the design team or perhaps he was fired for insubordination or who knows? The point is that the headphone jack seems to have the ability to support remote shutter operation. As users of the X1D we need to figure out to gain the cooperation of Hasselblad. We have told these folks how much we want a remote release and although it appear that ssomeone within the Hasselblad Design Team has provided a means through the headphone jack Hasselblad refuses to acknowledge. Hasselblad needs to explain the function of the headphone jack and provide assurance that they will not cancel coverage if it is used fro remote shutter operation.