Release cable for X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

hcubell

Quote from: galoubet on September 05, 2018, 07:27:00 AM
It's always worth hanging on to old equipment; you just never know when it'll come in handy.

I have a 40 year old ELM electric cable release (a genuine Hasselblad part!) that now has a 3.5mm stereo jack plug on the end instead of the original 5-pin DIN plug. Didn't cost me a cent to make up my perfect wired X1D cable release. Just a little soldering.

Kinda makes my "patented" mechanical cable release rather redundant now. But, hey! that's progress.

Did you try it?

fotophil

Congratulations on converting the old Hasselblad Release into a X1D release! It seems that Hasselblad made monkeys those of us fabricated meshanical cable release brackets for our X1D. Do you know if the automatic bracketing function works with the remote release? Since the X1D shutter button is a two stage device (AF followed by actual shutter release) does the remote device emulate the second stage without affecting AF? It sounds like all is good butg I am still annoyed with the Hasselblad attitude towards the X1D Users - it is really difficult to believe that the idiots at the factory don't even know how their camera operates! I wonder if they had an expensive simple wired release ready to be released with the X1D-2 camera?  Anyway it's time to enjoy life by taking X1D images using Peter's remote release. I nominate Peter to be the Hasselblad Man of 2018!

PeterL

I am going to try tomorrow 9 am bracketing with using cable. I believe it should work. Will post the result by 10 am.
Peter

BillW

I posted this back in July regarding a Facebook posting for the same type of release. Again, nothing from Hasselblad back then. I am sure that their reply would be "you pay your money and you takes your chances".http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5768.0
Thanks
Bill

PeterL

I wish I did see that in July, would tried it right than.  I become a member of this forum only on Labour day night specifically to let all X1D users know about release cable. The cable you shown on picture probably works very well.
I am going to order one a let you know.

Peter

PeterL

Just looked at Photix release. Same as we have, different adapter . Should work, but 5x more "expensive"....

Peter

sog1927

Quote from: fotophil on September 05, 2018, 06:41:11 AM
Hasselblad needs to explain the function of the headphone jack and provide assurance that they will not cancel coverage if it is used fro remote shutter operation.

Or, for that matter, disable it in a future firmware update.

tcdeveau

Quote from: BillW on September 05, 2018, 12:18:05 PM
I posted this back in July regarding a Facebook posting for the same type of release. Again, nothing from Hasselblad back then. I am sure that their reply would be "you pay your money and you takes your chances".http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5768.0

In another X1D Facebook thread promoting a near identical solution earlier this summer, Hasselblad did comment. Some of the group members asked Hasselblad to step in and moderate saying that the initial post regarding the minijack third party solution, similar to Peters solution, was potentially encouraging customers to brick their cameras.

if I remember correctly, Hasselblads reply (Wade I believe was the rep) was that their official solution was Phocus Mobile, and that using a solution like Peters would void the warranty.  There was another thread a little while after that from another user showing a video with a radio transmitter and minijack into one of the audio ports, and again Hasselblad stepped in and said using such solution would void the warranty.  I doubt using solutions like Peter would really cause harm, but don't expect Hasselblad to honor the warranty if it does.

I don't know why at this point Hasselblad can't simply validate it themselves, but I imagine 110% of their engineering resources at this time are devoted to the new XCD lenses, the X2D, and the H7 (especially now since the IQ4 is out).

jng

This appears to be a great solution. Does it work when using the electronic shutter?

Thanks.

John

BradP

Quote from: BillW on September 05, 2018, 01:38:14 AM
Wish someone from Hasselblad would comment on this.

+1 and subscribing to this post awaiting more responses.

Thankfully now I may not need to do the metalworking prescribed by Mr. Galoubet, which I've often considered. 

fotophil

I also wonder those vindictive people at the factory might try to disable the headphone jack. I have no respect nor trust for them but don't worry they are too busy "designing" the X1D ver 2 and figuring out their lens roadmap mess to spend anytime on the X1D - we are just old news!!

PeterL

I would not recommend to go to older firmware. I have never tested it and can not see why would anyone try to re invent the wheel and take unnecessary risk. If it working, don't fix it. Just my opinion, have no proof otherwise.
Peter

PeterL

Another good news : Release cable is working perfectly with HDR, just tried it.
Enjoy, Peter

fotophil

Great news! Thank you for establishing that the remote release supports the automatic bracketing function. That is a biggie for those of us that use HDR or other exposure bracketing schemes. In the default configuration, the X1D shutter button has two stages. Stage 1 activates the AF and stage 2 actually fires the shutter. I have setup my camera so that stage 1 is eliminated and the AF must be activated with one of the rear buttons. Does the remote release support both stages or only stage 2? In other words does the remote release cause the camera to refocus prior to releasing the shutter?
I want to thank you again for providing us with a technical solution to a big problem. I only wish that the "technical experts" of Hasselblad could be of help - in light of what has happened these so called experts must really feel stupid!!!!!!

PeterL

I tried it   on manual focus setup and it did not refocused.
Hope that will help, Peter