907 & 1DX2 problems

Previous topic - Next topic

TimWright

I have had the 907 since early last fall and the 1DX2 since around Christmas. I have the 30mm 45mm and the 135 with converter. Every time i take these out I get failures on both systems. I get lens errors all the time, cameras freeze and wont focus or shoot even in manual. I get frames where half the frame is exposed properly and the other half is completely blown out. When I get this it seems to take about 10 seconds for the camera to take the exposure. I have updated all the firmware in both cameras and lenses. I have even tried applying the firmware a second time. I have cleaned the contacts of everything. Is there anything else i can try short of sending them back to HB.

pss

there is clearly something wrong with your cameras, you should send them in to HB. I just sent my 907 in, they replaced a part connecting the body and back, I will get mine back Wednesday, will report back but expect it to work now.

ramarren

Quote from: TimWright on May 11, 2021, 12:42:35 PM
I have had the 907 since early last fall and the 1DX2 since around Christmas. I have the 30mm 45mm and the 135 with converter. Every time i take these out I get failures on both systems. I get lens errors all the time, cameras freeze and wont focus or shoot even in manual. I get frames where half the frame is exposed properly and the other half is completely blown out. When I get this it seems to take about 10 seconds for the camera to take the exposure. I have updated all the firmware in both cameras and lenses. I have even tried applying the firmware a second time. I have cleaned the contacts of everything. Is there anything else i can try short of sending them back to HB.

I'm a little confused by your post. I presume that a 1DX2 is the Canon DSLR. How do you use the XCD lenses with the Canon 1DX2 camera? I don't know how you would do this.

With respect to the 907x and some failure modes, I had a situation happening from the date I received my 907x Special Edition: when fixed to the copy stand, and ONLY when fixed to the copy stand, aimed straight down for copy work purposes, the touch screen controls would stop working. Didn't matter what lens I fitted (XCD or adapted), didn't matter what order I set up the configuration. Then firmware 1.2.0 came out and the problem stopped happening. Then 1.3.0 happened, no change, and later 1.4.0  came out. Again the camera became unusable in the copystand configuration.

I sent the 907x and 45P to Hasselblad. They ran their analytics, set it up, and could not replicate the problem. They cleaned the sensor, tested the body, the back, and the lens extensively. Found nothing. Set it up for copy work once more and still could not replicate the problem. The camera was returned.

I tested it the other day, setting it up and running about 90 exposures in copy work. No problems whatever. Whatever happened in the course of Hasselblad analyzing, testing, and attempting to replicate the problem seems to have solved the problem ... I can't make it happen anymore.

The sum up: if the 907x and XCD lenses are experiencing failures, send them in to Hasselblad for testing, analysis, and warranty repairs. Hasselblad USA were great: they paid two-way shipping and charged me nothing for the service effort, had the camera and lens for a little under three and a half weeks total.

G

SrMi

TimWright

Lol, ya i do get the number letter combo mixed up all the time. I have been in contact with HB and i am doing some more testing. So far it seems that the 907 might be ok. It had sat for awhile and after cleaning the contacts it might be ok. The X1D2 after cleaning the contacts on it and all the lenses seems to be working except for the 135 which will not work at all but works on the 907. I have not tried it with the extender on either camera. It has been raining and heavy winds the last day so haven't been able to take them out for a real good testing. Hoping to get out this evening or tomorrow. I will update at that time.

mikejmcfarlane

Hope the testing goes well. Else you might have been really unlucky to get two faulty units. Couple of suggestions.

Have you spoken to your dealer? I bought mine from Robert White in the UK who were v responsive when I had a lens problem, they had the Hasselblad UK rep call me the next day. But def don't be afraid to send them back for repairs if your testing does not go well.

Also, I wondered if there was anything else the two bodies might have had in common, and wondered if you have been using the same SD card in both? I have a slightly dodgy Sandisk card and it made both my bodies occasionally act oddly - freeze ups. Swapped the card for a new one and both bodies fine.

pss

I have both the 907 and X1DII and have been using sony G tough cards in both, so when my friend bought his X1DII I recommended staying with those cards (has already had a few) and he bought more. he has had errors and lost images, well turns out the cards are not officially supported (which might be a change from earlier? ) but either way some cards seem to work and some clearly don't.
I seems that the cameras are in general a little temperamental when it comes to cards, it might be because the files are uncompressed and readout from the sensor is so slow?
I would definitely recommend testing different cards, I am going through one right now, there actually aren't that many options when it comes to vII R/W 260mb cards. I don't use lexar anymore, sony aren't recommended, so sandisk is pretty much it? I did just order 2 angel bird cards, the specs are good, they are getting great reviews from the motion world (where RW requirements are extremely high) I will report once I test them.

pdprinter

I use angel bird card V60 with my 907 and no problems yet

pss

Quote from: pdprinter on May 20, 2021, 02:35:42 PM
I use angel bird card V60 with my 907 and no problems yet
the V60 angel bird actually does not meet the 907 requirements, the V90 does.
but the sony tough card I am using are listed as possibly creating problems and so far they have not (for me)
I think the cameras are just a little finicky when it comes to the cards, so hasselblad narrows down recommendations to the ones they know will work.
in the big picture, even the high end cards are pretty inexpensive now, its not too hard to test a few.

ramarren

Finicky? Hmm.

I use the card that came with mine mostly (a Lexar Professional 1667x 128G), but I've also tested Lexar Professional 1000x, SanDisk Extreme, Transcend, Sony, Panasonic, Accel, HP, and a few others. I've had no problems whatever with storage cards and this camera.

Most of my cards are not UHS II spec either. Doesn't seem to make much difference, other than the write speed. But I don't see the 907x as a sequence camera or a video camera, rarely use those functions.

G

pss

finicky because the same card might cause issues in one body but not another. like I said I have not had any issues with any of my cards either but other people have and hasselblad definitely narrows down compatible cards.

ramarren

Quote from: pss on May 23, 2021, 06:25:40 AM
finicky because the same card might cause issues in one body but not another. like I said I have not had any issues with any of my cards either but other people have and hasselblad definitely narrows down compatible cards.

Hasselblad, like everyone else, has a limit on their testing resources. I'm sure they "narrow down compatible cards" in testing to those that meet the maximum spec they created for the camera from the most commonly available suppliers. it's all they have the resources and time to do. They cannot possibly test every type and capacity card available that might be suitable for use.

Since most of us only have one, or maybe two, same-generation Hasselblad digital backs or cameras available for testing with, and a limited supply/range of storage devices as well, it's very hard to make a definitive statement of quality/compatibility with this insufficiently large testing base to work with. Anything judged based upon posts in forums on the internet is self-selecting to a very tiny percentage of the user/unit population and an insufficiently qualified testing and observational base.

For instance, if five posts about a problem with XX card surface, and yet I have three of those XX cards and have never seen any of those problems, how credible for my use are those reports? What do they really say about the compatibility of the line of cameras with that line of cards?

G

mp1c

Or maybe they did test them and didn't meet the camera needs, And that is why those cards aren't listed.

Why looking for an option not recommended? To save a few bucks and have problems?

I use the same Lexar V90 2000x 300MB for my Olympus E-M1X and Hasseblad X1D II, also a friend has the same for his Leica Q2. Never had a problem at all.

ramarren

Quote from: mp1c on May 25, 2021, 05:35:59 AM
Or maybe they did test them and didn't meet the camera needs, And that is why those cards aren't listed.

Why looking for an option not recommended? To save a few bucks and have problems?

I use the same Lexar V90 2000x 300MB for my Olympus E-M1X and Hasseblad X1D II, also a friend has the same for his Leica Q2. Never had a problem at all.

It is far, far more likely the case that they tested a few cards that met their expected spec for the body (to make sure the body met the spec, rather than the other way around) than that they tested all possible cards and didn't list the ones that didn't work well. I know this from my days as a QC and Testing engineer in hardware development... ;)

I've tested a good assortment of my existing storage cards in the camera and not yet seen a problem with any of them. I know for sure that Hasselblad didn't test all of the different cards I've got on hand ... Some are actually long obsolete and difficult to get now. I didn't test them to 'cheap out' on buying the recommended cards (after all, my camera came with a card in it which has worked flawlessly and is NOT on the Hasselblad tested/compatible list...!); I  tested them because I have them and wanted to see if they worked. They all do. :D

G

TimWright

So I have been talking to HB tech support about the problems with the X1D2 and their only suggestion is to send it and the 135mm lens in so they can repair it/them. I purchased these in January so i took them back to the store where I purchased them. I have been dealing with them for over 20 years and whenever I have had a problem with either my Leica or Fuji cameras I drop them there and they handle the rest. When i went in they informed me that HB has changed their service and that I would have to send the gear in myself. In talking to UPS I found out that to insure and ship it from Canada would cost me close to $1000.00 one way. Now I don't know what to do. Brand new defective equipment and I have to pay that kind of money to have it fixed under warranty.
Suggestions?