Is Video Gone Forever?

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

I've been struggling and failing to figure out whether Hasselblad has decided not to put video on future X2D iterations.  Has it?

I have had a long love affair with my X1D but have decided I want to step up relatively soon to either the X2D back or *gasp* sell my gear and migrate to the GFX100II.  Is there any info anyone can point me to on whether baseline cinema-quality video will be present on near term future versions of the X2D?  Has H decided to abandon video in this platform?

acg69

What do you mean by "future X2D iterations"? The X2D is here and it can only be changed through f/w - video cannot be added to the camera this way. Whether there will be an X2Dii is too early to tell and whether it will have video is anyone's guess. Mine for that matter is that it will not, due to potential heat issues and "clutter". I am not into video at all so I couldn't care less, but I see how that could be a show stopper for some people. In my mind it is harder to combine the two functions at the highest level in one body, so -as always- it is a compromise and Hasselblad are opting to go the photography route.

BradP

You got it, The X2D or its successors.  I haven't been into video much in the past either, but I am finding I could get deeper into video for various reasons, and it's a very strong want to have for me.  The Fuji GFX100II shoots 8K and at least by some metrics seems a fairly competent video camera.  That's the obvious alternative, although it would come with some IQ and "cool" sacrifice. 

If I can figure out whether video definitely is coming out in a X2D whatever format within a year I would almost certainly wait for that.  If video is gone forever or there's no info on that then I feel I have a real decision to make.

MSuser

Predicting the future is not something that I would attempt. I would base any decisions on what is actually available currently.

Thyl

Look at the number of threads in the "Video" section here on Hasselbladdigitalforum, the number of youtube videos or reviews. From this, it is very evident that Hasselblad photographers are generally not videographers. Hasselblad will see no reason to develop an X2D II with video, and even more so as long as the X1D II is still in production, already offering video capabilities. Is there no way for you to keep the X1D for video? A backup body is generally not a bad idea?!

Whitten

I make videos, but use a camera that is much more suited - Sigma FP.
There are numerous smaller, more affordable cameras that shoot fantastic video. I wouldn't use a Leica or Hasselblad to shoot video personally.

Ralf

The fact that microphones are still built into the X2D (see operating instructions) could suggest that Hasselblad at least reserves the option of a video mode. 

Personally, I'm one of those who is happy that the X2D does without video.  In my opinion, medium format video doesn't make sense either. 

Yes, the new Gxf has a relatively good video mode, but due to the slow readout time compared to the 35mm image, the image distorts when panning, for example. 

For video filming, cameras with a "full format sensor" are much better served.

flash

Medium format sensors suck at video. Suck. Most high resolution 35mm sensors also suck at video. The readout just isn't fast enough for decent 4/8K footage if anything moves.

An Osmo Action 3 will do a better job as will any m43 system or something like the s5IIx. You can get a complete setup that will annihilate the GFX100II vise for less than the cost of a single XCD lens.

I travel with my X2D and an Osmo action. Great setup for pretty much anything except paid work. If If was getting paid I'd get an S5IIX.

Gordon

BradP

After spending most of the day yesterday looking into the fine details of the GFX100II, I agree with the comments that at least with the current state of play the GFX's video isn't quite there yet for fast moving objects, the GFX IQ looks like it has the same shortcomings vis a vis the H as with the 50 MPs, and there are other options for better video cams for less $$ than I'd lose by selling my lenses and reinvesting in GFX. 

Still it would be nice to have fairly high quality video in the same camera, so I hope H finally ends up putting that audio port to use in the XD2.  If I were a more impulsive type, which I almost was, not having video might have made me execute on that idea before I did my research.

So I'm going to get the X2D.  Image quality will be better than GFX for stills from what I read and as I know from my experience with the 50 MPs of both in the past.  Plus it's just very cool.   Now, do I tell my wife or just do it . . .  🤔  And should I wait for the X2D II to see what that looks like?  Regular rollout cycles suggest that could be within a year I would guess.

michael123

Not sure video can be added, maybe limited to couple of minutes, as the camera body should be designed to dissipate the heat

polychloros

Quote from: flash on March 19, 2024, 12:48:27 AMMedium format sensors suck at video. Suck. Most high resolution 35mm sensors also suck at video. The readout just isn't fast enough for decent 4/8K footage if anything moves.

I guess so (at least in your world) but I like the look of the video that I get using the 907x and the 50MP back. The specs don't compete with serious video orientated cameras but for the little "mood" sequences that I sometimes shoot on a tripod, the resulting 2.7K videos are quite pleasing. I've also used a GFX 100s (not mine) as part of a job videoing a person talking and the results were excellent. It didn't suck at all.

The absence of video from the two 100MP Hasselblad cameras isn't a deal-breaker for me personally but I like having the option available.

Georg Kovalcik

Is Video Gone Forever? I hope so!

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: Ralf on March 18, 2024, 11:00:39 PMThe fact that microphones are still built into the X2D (see operating instructions) could suggest that Hasselblad at least reserves the option of a video mode. 

Perhaps the microphone is in place for a future Siri type firmware update that will allow you to verbally tell the X2D to capture remotely. This may arrive sooner than the USB C Remote Release Cable. Note - tongue deeply embedded in cheek. But .... it's a thought!

Steve Hendrix/CI

bmikiten

There are so many better video options that don't really care about what the real benefits of the X2D are from a photo perspective. They are also MUCH less expensive and have a wider array of video-oriented lenses available.

EdwardWeston

If you need video - DO NOT GO with a GFX. Fuji has it in there. The video codec and quality is perfectly fine but these camera suffer from HEAVY rolling shutter. Any movement of the camera during filming with vertical lines (such as lights, poles, buildings, sidewalks, corner of wall, furniture) is going to cause a "warping" effect.

These sensors do not have a fast enough read out speed. Yes, they can do video, and you're gonna see beautiful examples on the web. But it's mostly marketing and influencers. Find some real world video shooters (and even hybrid) and the number drops.

I'd enough say that it's not worth it just for "casual' or "on the side" video in real world use. Unless the camera is going to stationary on a tripod with no movement or panning (or very slow dolly in shots)

Here is an example from the original 100 (mind you - it uses these gates since its a good demo, but you will see it all over) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPadMx0py8g