Is Video Gone Forever?

Previous topic - Next topic

tenmangu81

Let video to video gear, and still images to cameras made for photography.
Robert

Frankvth

i've been shooting commercials for a looong time, and never ever have i seen a photo-first type of camera put out the quality of Specially designed for video cameras.   

That being said; A medium format is a horrible format for video if you choose for a 'photo-first' camera. You will have to crop or delete lines and this will only add terrible things to the video.

Honestly; for video: buy a videocamera. DSLR/Mirrorless bodys are never the answer for truly great video. They are an answer for truly hybrid stuff, and people mistake them for being videocameras. but it's ok.

Larsb

While I'm not into video, so my views are probably biased, I agree with the general sentiment that it is best that the X2D does not have video functionality.  I want a camera to do one thing well, and that is take high quality still pictures of the subject matter that I am interested in. I think many amateurs and professionals have multiple cameras across multiple brands, so if one wants video, then buy a camera that does video. If I ever get into the video side of things, I would buy a Canon or Sony or Nikon to supplement my Hasselblad.  My 2 cents worth :-)
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

BradP

If H included video functionality in the X2D and it didn't impact still function or quality, would anyone refuse to download the update? 

I've shot in a number of forums where it would be nice to roll off reasonably high quality 4K or 8K video even though I'm there to do stills.  I don't want to lug around a video camera for that if I don't need to.  I imagine video would be a nice to have to quite a few X platform owners.  And I'd note in passing that DJI has quite capable video in house (expertise of which might actually exist in Sweden).  That could be synergistic with development of the X platform, not a detraction. 

Having said that, I 100% agree with the sentiment that the reason the X platform flourishes is cleary because of its exceptional still image quality, not bells and whistles — and that cannot be compromised. 

Yet even with a comparatively slow sensor with older tech, putting video in the package seems at least to me to be a nice to have.  I imagine that's likely the sentiment of a meaningful number of existing and would be X platform owners — for many even if it increased the price of a separate version.

This might best be thought of as one of many improvements that could be made in firmware or otherwise to the X platform as it goes forward.  Along with improved autofocus and maybe a joystick, for example, this would be at or near the top for me.

Ralf

If a firmware update only brought a video function without any improvement to the photo function, I would indeed not install it. But presumably, if there really is video for the X2D, it will be installed in an update that also inevitably includes improvements to the photo function.

Mudlup

I asked Hasselblad support about video, here is the reply...

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad.

Sorry for the incomplete reply to you.

We were referring to the X2D's microphone feature not being enabled.

It's true that X2D doesn't have a video function at the moment, because we want to focus on taking good pictures!

Of course we will be evaluating and maybe someday X2D will be able to use video and this microphone will be able to be used!

Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional support if needed.

Best regards,
The Hasselblad Support Team

polychloros

Quote from: Mudlup on March 27, 2024, 02:28:55 AMOf course we will be evaluating and maybe someday X2D will be able to use video and this microphone will be able to be used!

Seems a bit ironic that Hasselblad included a microphone that will likely never be used but omitted a microphone input port that could have been used for the X remote release that would serve a very useful purpose.

ALAIN

In the case where the possible, perhaps possible, if all goes well, if... if Hasselblad follows a "logical" logic, and has consistency in ideas..., in this case, the usb connector usb-c must have been configured for connecting a headset assembly (like on an iPhone); but for the external screen without hdmi?

boojum

Included video could be quite useful.  Not everyone is shooting release level footage.  And some of what comes out of FF sensors is pretty good. Apparently there are mics in the camera which work.  We do not know what else is in the camera/on the chip for making movies.  We do not know what the company may have done for heat dissipation.  Beyond believing the mics work we are in the dark.

But I would like to be able to shoot a video with that sensor and the XCD 55V or the 125/3.5 macro.  Just to be able to do it with great image and color would be nice.  It needn't be good enough for a two hour cine film presentation.

That's my two cents.
Elpis