Weather Sealing for X2d and 907x-Cfv 100 mp

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman1331

I am not sure if this has already been brought up or discussed. I have heard that none of them are weather proofed. Has anyone actually experienced that is true, or is just a myth?

MGrayson

Quote from: Iceman1331 on March 04, 2024, 11:58:59 AMI am not sure if this has already been brought up or discussed. I have heard that none of them are weather proofed. Has anyone actually experienced that is true, or is just a myth?
Hasselblad doesn't say that there is weatherproofing, which is a liability statement more than anything else. I *have* gotten some rain on my X2D without problems, but I think it is best avoided. Leica released a video of an S camera held under a running faucet. I took that to mean I could use it in bad weather, and I did for many years - never a problem. If I wanted to go out and photograph in a snowstorm, I'd leave the Hassy inside and get out the Leica S.

hcubell

I don't think the X2D has serious weatherproofing. However, I use my X2D regularly in Vermont during the winter in snowstorms. It's my preferred weather for shooting these days. Same with shooting in rain/snow in Iceland. However, I am reasonably careful to not let excess snow or rain accumulate on the camera. I use plastic, disposable shower caps on the camera. I periodically wipe the camera and lenses down with cloths I carry, and use a towel before stowing the camera back into my backpack. No problems....so far. I did have an issue with my X1DII several years ago when snow melt penetrated into the camera behind the LCD screen.I was careless and pressed my luck and let quite a bit of snow accumulate on the body. A $1k repair.
I would think that the 907x/100c would be particularly risky to use in adverse weather. I don't think there are any weatherproofing seals between the two, and there appear to be a number of ingress points where water could penetrate. So, again, caution would be advised. However, the same is likely true with the Phase XT, and there are photographers regularly using them in places like Iceland, so it can be done.

David Mantripp

Well, not X2D, but 3 days ago I had an issue with my X1DII.  I was using it in light rain, when a very sudden downpour came.  It kept working and I wasn't too worried.  But the next morning, after I took a few shots, suddenly the EVF stopped working.  On later examination, I saw condensation on the inside of the EVF.  So I took the lens off and put it in a warm place.  The EVF condensation cleared up, but then I saw a condensation patch on the sensor. Yikes.  I decided to go for a walk....    Several hours later, I tried the camera, and it was fine, but still no EVF.  So I had to use it hand-held, using the LCD.  Not nice.  One could say 907x-mode.  I was wondering how much the repair would be, and how long it would take.

Then, several further hours later, I suddenly noticed the EVF was working again.

I'm going to buy a rain cover :-)

marcwilson

A few weeks ago I used my X1dii in (I found out) too much rain.
Heavy rain.
The condition were too perfect not to make work in.
Got to next location...hour xrive and hour walk and camera had stopped working and af assist light permanently on. Would not turn on at all.
An hour sat warming up in a cafe (me and camera) and it worked again for me to make work (in more rain and slushy snowfall), albeit with af assist light on and the odd gremlin in the evf.
The af assist light remained on...then less so as camera began to dry out in hotel in evening and overnight.
Next morning all was good and working perfectly again since.
So not ideal of course and I think got away with it a bit, and I know now how much rain it can take, and should stop before that point.

These were most extreme (wet) conditions I've shot in so hard to compare to experience with older Leica SL that worked in dry but minus 20 without issue.

hcubell

Quote from: marcwilson on March 06, 2024, 05:18:06 AMA few weeks ago I used my X1dii in (I found out) too much rain.
Heavy rain.
The condition were too perfect not to make work in.
Got to next location...hour xrive and hour walk and camera had stopped working and af assist light permanently on. Would not turn on at all.
An hour sat warming up in a cafe (me and camera) and it worked again for me to make work (in more rain and slushy snowfall), albeit with af assist light on and the odd gremlin in the evf.
The af assist light remained on...then less so as camera began to dry out in hotel in evening and overnight.
Next morning all was good and working perfectly again since.
So not ideal of course and I think got away with it a bit, and I know now how much rain it can take, and should stop before that point.

These were most extreme (wet) conditions I've shot in so hard to compare to experience with older Leica SL that worked in dry but minus 20 without issue.

Similar experience to mine, but my X1DII never came back to life.

marcwilson

Similar experience to mine, but my X1DII never came back to life.
[/quote]

oh no, sorry to hear that...I was obviously lucky but silly...Hasselblad did say I'd need to send it in but it came back to life so no need. Hope they could fix yours?

jakontil

Thr X1D and X2D werent IP rated right? I will take their weatherproofing with grain of salts, may be light mist will be oke, i womt probably take mine into a storm if i have the choice

907x definitely more prone water and condensation, since i could imagine water drops can penetrate into the modular back

I'd have a drybag handy whenever out and shooting landscape, or at least the now forbidden plastic bag

hcubell

Quote from: marcwilson on March 08, 2024, 03:50:58 AMSimilar experience to mine, but my X1DII never came back to life.

oh no, sorry to hear that...I was obviously lucky but silly...Hasselblad did say I'd need to send it in but it came back to life so no need. Hope they could fix yours?
[/quote]

Hasselblad repaired it; $1k. The good news is that Hasselblad turned around the repair in 3 or 4 days.

Iceman1331

I just found that HB provides the following spec for x2d:

"Operating Humidity: No more than 85% without condensation"

I interpreted it as not 100% water proof. Condensation is a problem too if not protected.

I agreed that 907x is more prone to water penetration due to how it attaches to the digital back. 907x is mainly designed for indoor or studio use on a tripod.

MGrayson

Kids, do not try this at home. I was lucky.

And was it worth it for THIS?

If you really want to use Medium Format in bad weather, the Leica S is a good choice.

Matt

Iceman1331

Last year I took my X1d and the 21 mm to a trip in Portugal and it rained quite heavily one day all of a sudden. I hand held my camera under this rain with no other cover and hided under a tree (luckily there was no thunder storm) with dripping raindrops. My X1D survived this rain storm and works as normal with no issues. I know luck may not happen twice.

Tennisarm12

Quote from: Iceman1331 on March 09, 2024, 06:12:14 PM907x is mainly designed for indoor or studio use on a tripod.

Sorry, but that's of course nonsense. It's not raining all the time out there...  ::)

flash

Quote from: jakontil on March 08, 2024, 04:23:05 PMThr X1D and X2D werent IP rated right?

Ony Leica (SL and S series) and OM Systems provide IP ratings for their cameras. Sony, Canon and Nikon do not. But some do list the seals in their press releases.

I would use my X2D in snow but be careful in rain. Likely I'd take my SL3 and a zoom.

Gordon

SMurphy

Quote from: flash on March 19, 2024, 12:52:47 AMOny Leica (SL and S series) and OM Systems provide IP ratings for their cameras. Sony, Canon and Nikon do not. But some do list the seals in their press releases.

I would use my X2D in snow but be careful in rain. Likely I'd take my SL3 and a zoom.

Leica also provides the IP rating for the Q series ( except for the original Q, if I recall correctly ).

I've had my X2D out in snow squalls a few times, but kept it wrapped in a scarf when I wasn't shooting.  No issues whatsoever.