Weather Sealing for X2d and 907x-Cfv 100 mp

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralf

Well, IP 52 is also only very limitedly splash-proof.

"Dripping water when tilted at 15 degrees
 all four positions are tested
 Test time – 2.5 minutes per tilt
 Water equivalent is 3mm of rainfall per minute."

Ralf

Waterproofness is difficult to define in practice.  I also believe that most camera manufacturers do not provide IP certification and even warn about moisture in the manual in order to avoid legal disputes.  (Even if the camera is shown with water drops in the advertising.) What IP52 tries to describe, my Nikons had to go along with, even without IP certification.

Clockworksphoto

I got the Think Tank rain cover just in case. The Medium cover is way too big and awkward but there is plenty of room to get your hands underneath to operate the camera. The strap on the front tightens on the lens hood and the fixture in the back slips into the flash shoe. Camera stays dry. Good insurance for $38 at B&H. It folds up into a small pouch.

docholliday

Quote from: flash on March 19, 2024, 12:52:47 AM...Sony, Canon and Nikon do not. But some do list the seals in their press releases...

Gordon

And if you've ever seen those "seals", you'd never really trust it in any rain. The case seams on a 1Dx are "sealed" with nothing more than double sided tape and some foam strips. It's acceptable in a light mist, but with any decent flow, the foam will just saturate and the Nitto/3M tape will start to loosen.

When I had my 1Dx apart, I changed the tape for 200MP and the "gasket" for foam-rubber to give it a better chance in a downpour.

polychloros

An umbrella (and ideally an assistant) can work wonders when out in the field.

JCM-Photos

Hasselblad never gave an IP rating as it was current for all cameras a few years ago.
I guess thei don't need to go this way as the guy who wants a Hasselblad simply buys it, not regarding an IP rating.

Indeed X cameras are protected even if they are far away from high end reportage pro cameras that are really splash proof.

If some people argue that for example 907X are not protected at all, it's simply not true.
XCD lenses have a rubber lip sealing on the mount and have enough chicanes on moving parts to be splash proof.
the side flap (with card(s) and batteries has an internal rubber lining to seal it when closed
Even the digital back has a rubber lining to seal the interface between body and back.
If you show the bottom of X cameras it's monobloc and the battery has an O-Ring sealing, no problem when putting the camera on a wet surface.

For me X cameras have decent sealing, I managed to shoot under light rain on a tripod without problem, even if I wipe regularly wet parts with a travel towel.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Patrick CM

I certainly would not rest the x2d on any wet surface. One of my batteries was replaced by the dealer when I showed the o-ring was only partially in place...some 50% was missing! It's pretty flimsy, and so I'd trust it to keep out wet mist, not water or rain.

This battery was new, straight out of its box and unused.

dhead

Quote from: Clockworksphoto on April 04, 2024, 06:57:43 AMI got the Think Tank rain cover just in case. The Medium cover is way too big and awkward but there is plenty of room to get your hands underneath to operate the camera. The strap on the front tightens on the lens hood and the fixture in the back slips into the flash shoe. Camera stays dry. Good insurance for $38 at B&H. It folds up into a small pouch.

I also got the Medium ThinkTank cover - too much material for my X2D with 55V - but, it works great on my Canon with 100-400.  The Small ThinkTank cover is 6" shorter, but the opening for camera/tripod access is the same as the Medium, and works perfectly with the X2D.  Using the flash shoe is magical - the cover stays where it's supposed to.