New X1d 50c decision

Previous topic - Next topic

colonel

Hi, I am new to medium format and Hasselblad, so apologies if asking newbie questions, and also if it is a bit of a ramble, as my thoughts are often confused  :D

My main photography type is daily life, landscape/architecture and travel.

I like "people in context", so I rarely shoot people on their own, or buildings/scenery on its own. It is the person contrasting against the environment that I like.

I am purely amateur and so it is very much a hobby I enjoy and find relaxing, as well as bringing back memories of where I have been.

I typically shoot Leica M, with alot of film and some digital. I stray into the Q range occasionally and have shot with Sony A7 and Fuji X series as well. I always come back to Leica M, as I find the process gives me more keepers. I am not a gun photographer and might take a couple of pictures to increase changes of the right expression, but mostly think about photos before pressing the button.

"Unless a subject interests me, I'll pass it over and save my film for better things." - Harold Feinstein

I mention this as when I shoot in an urban environment, I am find autofocus can be destructive, e.g. when framing a scene and the "wrong" person passes through before the subject, the AF can pick them up. I don't do the type of photograph where I see an expression and raise the camera to instantly take a photo. I find this to be a bit impossible and random. I always like to be in position "before the photo occurs" - if that makes sense.

As an example of the way I work, when I pass a scene I want, when the appropriate person is about to pass through, I frame the scene, focus on the point I need to, and then wait for them to pass into the frame. With MF this is easy, with AF I would aim the camera at a point of the same distance, hold focus, reframe, and wait (albeit the wait is a few seconds). I aim to use both techniques with the x1d.

Coming back to the x1d. I have been an admirer from afar, and love the detail and colours I have seen from the sensor, and of course love the build quality and design. Although irrelevant to the output, I need to enjoy the equipment I am working with, and, like Leica, it is a bit of an objet d'art. It was too expensive for me when released, but the used prices are actually quite affordable now.

I chose the X1d over the x2d purely from a price perspective, but i can see an x2d in my future when the used prices come down in a few years.

In terms of the x1d vs the x1d ii, I have read extensively about the differences, although nice, the extra bits I don't think I need, and the marginal increase in speed doesn't seem like it is worth the extra money (although not that much in real terms, it pays for  half a lens). I also came across a mint 4116 set, and I love the black finish (just shows how shallow I am!  ;) ), which is also a bit more subtle.

I will be using the 45mm f3.5 for a bit, but plan to buy a 65mm f2.8 soon and then either a 28 or 35.

I would be interested in any comments on my choice. Am I mad to get the x1d over the x1d ii !!

I have included some of my pics as examples, sorry for their amateurish nature.

MGrayson

I started with the same kit and liked it quite a lot. I still have the X1D as my backup body. I shoot landscape/cityscape/architecture, although with less emphasis on people. I have no personal experience with the XCD 65, but its reputation is superb. The 21, 30, and 90 are also optically stunning.

Good luck!

colonel

After some time "playing" with the x1d - The startup and menu response is no problem. Wonder whether the 25th version of the firmware has made space from the original reviews!

The only slight slowness is the AF (although fine for my purposes) and the double click of the leaf shutter. I presume this shutter mechanism doesn't get any faster on the x1d ii or even the x2d ?

MGrayson

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 12:18:26 AMAfter some time "playing" with the x1d - The startup and menu response is no problem. Wonder whether the 25th version of the firmware has made space from the original reviews!

The only slight slowness is the AF (although fine for my purposes) and the double click of the leaf shutter. I presume this shutter mechanism doesn't get any faster on the x1d ii or even the x2d ?

The shutter mechanism on the 45/3.5 sounds like a soda can dent popping out. I've grown fond of it over time. 😆

SMurphy

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 12:18:26 AMThe only slight slowness is the AF (although fine for my purposes) and the double click of the leaf shutter. I presume this shutter mechanism doesn't get any faster on the x1d ii or even the x2d ?

The autofocus improves with the X2D thanks to the introduction of phase detection autofocus, and even more so for the X2D with the newer lenses (XCD 28V, 38V, 55V, and 90V) thanks to an upgraded focusing module.   ( note that due to hardware limitations, the X1D/X1D II/907X will not focus faster with the new XCD lenses )

Remember that the leaf shutter mechanism is in each lens, and not the body, and each has its own "personality" (for lack of a better term).  Also, while most of the XCD lenses can reach shutter speeds up to 1/2000th of second, both the new XCD 28P and 90V can reach 1/4000.

Whitten

I have the X1D2 and think it's a good upgrade on the X1D.
The autofocus is slow on both - which can be annoying when shooting on the street, people moving etc.
The most ergonomic package is the X1D2 with the 45p (35mm equivalent) lens. I have the 65mm too and it adds a lot to the bulk and makes the camera less balanced compared to the 45p.
For travel and street photography I would definitely recommend starting with the 45p.

colonel

Quote from: MGrayson on February 29, 2024, 01:43:18 AMThe shutter mechanism on the 45/3.5 sounds like a soda can dent popping out. I've grown fond of it over time. 😆

:) Just playing with it today. Sounds like the doors going to manual on an airbus 320

Quote from: SMurphy on February 29, 2024, 02:13:51 AMThe autofocus improves with the X2D thanks to the introduction of phase detection autofocus, and even more so for the X2D with the newer lenses (XCD 28V, 38V, 55V, and 90V) thanks to an upgraded focusing module.  ( note that due to hardware limitations, the X1D/X1D II/907X will not focus faster with the new XCD lenses )

Remember that the leaf shutter mechanism is in each lens, and not the body, and each has its own "personality" (for lack of a better term).  Also, while most of the XCD lenses can reach shutter speeds up to 1/2000th of second, both the new XCD 28P and 90V can reach 1/4000.

Yes thanks for this. I am learning all the time. I will hopefully cross the X2D bridge in the future.

Does this mean that if you use a 65mm f2.8 on the X2D it can't use phase detect ?

Quote from: Whitten on February 29, 2024, 03:17:59 AMI have the X1D2 and think it's a good upgrade on the X1D.
The autofocus is slow on both - which can be annoying when shooting on the street, people moving etc.
The most ergonomic package is the X1D2 with the 45p (35mm equivalent) lens. I have the 65mm too and it adds a lot to the bulk and makes the camera less balanced compared to the 45p.
For travel and street photography I would definitely recommend starting with the 45p.

Good advice. Not sure if the 45p is the f4 or f3.5 version, but the f3.5 version came with my kit and seems super sharp. Maybe I could consider the 55mm rather then the 65mm for less bulk and to make it more future proof, however I like the 65mm FL more as a compliment to the 45mm.

I understand that the x1d ii is more speedy, but interesting to hear that the focus is pretty much the same. I have been shooting today with the x1d i, and was truly surprised at how normal it as, after reading all the historical chatter on the web. The menu also seems quite responsive, a real shock!

Since I don't shoot multiple pictures, the second click of the lens doesn't have any impact. The AF has been working fine. Reminds me a bit of the Leica SL.

mar-ko

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 04:06:19 AM
Quote from: SMurphy on February 29, 2024, 02:13:51 AMThe autofocus improves with the X2D thanks to the introduction of phase detection autofocus, and even more so for the X2D with the newer lenses (XCD 28V, 38V, 55V, and 90V) thanks to an upgraded focusing module.  ( note that due to hardware limitations, the X1D/X1D II/907X will not focus faster with the new XCD lenses )

Does this mean that if you use a 65mm f2.8 on the X2D it can't use phase detect ?

The 65 can use PD; PD is an ability of (only) the (X2D) sensor, it will enable PD for all XCD lenses.
My gut impression with that, however: the improvement comes in different amounts: some lenses seem to benefit more, some less.

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 04:06:19 AMNot sure if the 45p is the f4 or f3.5 version, but the f3.5 version came with my kit and seems super sharp. Maybe I could consider the 55mm rather then the 65mm for less bulk and to make it more future proof, however I like the 65mm FL more as a compliment to the 45mm.

45P is the f4. It's a great all round lens.
Personally, I did not like the 2.8/65's weight. Hard to judge from reading about it only, you'll have to try it.

glaiben

A good point to mention is that Hasselblad is no longer providing firmware updates for the original X1D.  The last one available was November 2020. Hence, the 28/4P is not usable on the X1D body; am unsure about the other V-series XCD lenses.

colonel

Quote from: glaiben on February 29, 2024, 06:46:38 AMA good point to mention is that Hasselblad is no longer providing firmware updates for the original X1D.  The last one available was November 2020. Hence, the 28/4P is not usable on the X1D body; am unsure about the other V-series XCD lenses.

this is a good point. have you tried the 28/4P ? does anyone know if the f2.5 V lenses work ?

flash

You can achieve what you want easily. All the XxD variants have back button focus available in manual focus mode. So you can auto focus on your spot and the shutter won't try and refocus. The camera response is faster this way. This would be ideal for you based on your description above.

The MAJOR difference between the X1D and X1DII is the startup time. 7-8 seconds on the first and 3-4 on the latter. The original has an add on GPS and on the latter, it's built in.

Gordon

Ralf

I tested the XCD 2.8/65mm on my X2D and was impressed.  Very sharp and also very pleasant bokeh.  But I then decided on the 80mm and didn't take the 65mm, even though I had thought about it for a long time, but between 38 and 80 I don't actually need a 65. But if you prefer the 50mm equivalent, I can recommend the XCD 65.

colonel

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 07:03:37 AM
Quote from: glaiben on February 29, 2024, 06:46:38 AMA good point to mention is that Hasselblad is no longer providing firmware updates for the original X1D.  The last one available was November 2020. Hence, the 28/4P is not usable on the X1D body; am unsure about the other V-series XCD lenses.

this is a good point. have you tried the 28/4P ? does anyone know if the f2.5 V lenses work ?

Just to answer myself. I have spoken to hasselblad support and they told me the V lenses will work fine on the X1d. They were very responsive. I forgot to ask the about the 28p though. Will go back

tenmangu81

I am not sure the new V lenses would work on the X1D. A firmware has been released for the X1D II in order for these new V lenses to work, and they do. I have the X1D II and 4/45P, 2.8/65, 3.2/90 and 2.5/55V, and all is fine. Even if the 4/28P is "corrected" in Phocus for the X1D II (distortion + vignetting), some samples have suffered from a strong magenta cast which needs to shoot a gray target for making an LCC.
Robert

Charles2

The XCD lenses are too big for my taste. Although I have a 45/3.5 for when I want auto-focus, I generally adapt M-mount lenses to the X1Dii.

See the duck.