New X1d 50c decision

Previous topic - Next topic

colonel

Quote from: tenmangu81 on February 29, 2024, 08:57:45 AMI am not sure the new V lenses would work on the X1D. A firmware has been released for the X1D II in order for these new V lenses to work, and they do. I have the X1D II and 4/45P, 2.8/65, 3.2/90 and 2.5/55V, and all is fine. Even if the 4/28P is "corrected" in Phocus for the X1D II (distortion + vignetting), some samples have suffered from a strong magenta cast which needs to shoot a gray target for making an LCC.

Hasselblad have now come back to me and confirmed that the 4/28P will work on the x1d (as well as the V lenses which they confirmed previously)

so I have no idea what the extra firmware does for the x1d ii - perhaps it is just a better distortion profile ? I know on many systems, firmware updates are not needed for the lens to work, just for the profile to be set correctly for the raw editor.

SMurphy

Quote from: colonel on February 29, 2024, 09:42:00 PMso I have no idea what the extra firmware does for the x1d ii - perhaps it is just a better distortion profile ? I know on many systems, firmware updates are not needed for the lens to work, just for the profile to be set correctly for the raw editor.

From the release notes for firmware 1.5.2 for the X1D II:

NEW FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS COMPARED TO V 1.4.0:
  • Support for XCD 38V, 55V and 90V lenses
    Add support for the new lenses with AF/MF switch and control ring

As it happens, I've kept my X1D II as backup to my X2D and it's still running firmware 1.4.0.  Using my XCD 38V, I confirmed the following:
  • the lens itself works and there are no issues taking pictures
  • manual focus itself works, however...
  • the push-pull focus ring is not recognized and does not switch focus mode to MF when pushed to the front (so while you can still focus, the manual focus assist is not available)
  • the lens control ring is not recognized and custom functions do not work

Best,
Scott.

colonel

Quote from: SMurphy on March 01, 2024, 02:28:02 AMAs it happens, I've kept my X1D II as backup to my X2D and it's still running firmware 1.4.0.  Using my XCD 38V, I confirmed the following:
  • the push-pull focus ring is not recognized and does not switch focus mode to MF when pushed to the front (so while you can still focus, the manual focus assist is not available)

Best,
Scott

Sounds perfect. The lens interface is the same, so the lens will work the same, just the new features can't be incorporated.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SMurphy on March 01, 2024, 02:28:02 AMFrom the release notes for firmware 1.5.2 for the X1D II:

NEW FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS COMPARED TO V 1.4.0:
  • Support for XCD 38V, 55V and 90V lenses
    Add support for the new lenses with AF/MF switch and control ring

As it happens, I've kept my X1D II as backup to my X2D and it's still running firmware 1.4.0.  Using my XCD 38V, I confirmed the following:

Best,
Scott.

I have an X1D II upgraded with the 1.5.2 firmware, and an XCD55V, and the push-pull focus ring works perfectly, as well as the control ring.
The last firmware for the X1D is from November 2020, i.e. before the release of the new V lenses.
Robert

fiatlux

Quote from: Charles2 on February 29, 2024, 06:46:19 PMThe XCD lenses are too big for my taste. Although I have a 45/3.5 for when I want auto-focus, I generally adapt M-mount lenses to the X1Dii.

Interesting. What Leica lenses give proper coverage and don't you find the slow sensor readout too limiting in electronic shutter mode?

I am irrationally attracted by second hand X1Ds but imagine that a similarly priced 50s II would be less clunky to use, especially with adapted lenses given the focal plane shutter