Data cable for cfv100c 907x

Previous topic - Next topic

jakontil

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can shed some lights of the usb c cable in the box, what's the speed rating for that cable?

I'm aware that not all cables will be compatible since it's housed flushed into the body unlike the x2D

Im asking because while i use the proper usb c 3.1 gen 2 cable on x2D, the speed transfer seems faster compared to the cable that comes with 907x

I transfer many big files, and the difference is noticeable and i might need to look for a proper speed cable if possible

Thanks

polychloros

Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMIm asking because while i use the proper usb c 3.1 gen 2 cable on x2D, the speed transfer seems faster compared to the cable that comes with 907x

Are the cables not interchangeable between the two cameras? Both cameras have a port of the same spec (3.1 Gen 2 with a 10Gbps max transmission rate) and I would have assumed that the supplied cable is common to both cameras. Maybe the speed difference is a product of the differing electronics or SSD read speed in the two cameras?

jakontil

Quote from: polychloros on February 13, 2024, 03:38:34 AM
Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMIm asking because while i use the proper usb c 3.1 gen 2 cable on x2D, the speed transfer seems faster compared to the cable that comes with 907x

Are the cables not interchangeable between the two cameras? Both cameras have a port of the same spec (3.1 Gen 2 with a 10Gbps max transmission rate) and I would have assumed that the supplied cable is common to both cameras. Maybe the speed difference is a product of the differing electronics or SSD read speed in the two cameras?

Hi ian, the 907x has that port housing which, a slightly bigger end of the plug wont be able to go through it
Whereas the x2D is just right on the surface of the body

Patrick CM

I too switched from my "normal" USB-C cable the cable Hasselblad that supplied with the X2D and it was amazing. Reading the SSD went from 100Mbps to over 600Mbs !

polychloros

Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMHi ian, the 907x has that port housing which, a slightly bigger end of the plug wont be able to go through it

Hi, yes I understand that difference but the door on the 907x back isn't a tight fit with the supplied cable. I can plug other USB-C cables into that 907x port (e.g. my Apple USB-C charging cable or a fast USB-C data only cable I have that came with an external SSD).

I don't have an X2D: are you saying that the X2D comes with a different USB-C cable to the 907x cameras or that you have replaced your supplied Hasselblad cable with a faster third-party USB-C cable that has a plug too large to fit through the 907x port door? I guess I don't understand your original question. ;D

photogar

do not try and use a cheap usb-c cable for other than charging. the cheap cables do not have any chips inside of them for data channeling and such. for fast throughput, you need to put down some $$ to get a good cable.
Data cables tend to have a number stamped/printed on the ends, showing how fast / cool they are.
Apple's thunderbolt 4 (usb-c data) cables are expensive, but worth every penny. You can look elsewhere on the forums for other brands that manufacture longer cables than 3 meters, if you are dangling your laptop off of the 50/100C

jakontil

Quote from: Patrick CM on February 13, 2024, 11:03:48 PMI too switched from my "normal" USB-C cable the cable Hasselblad that supplied with the X2D and it was amazing. Reading the SSD went from 100Mbps to over 600Mbs !

Hi patrick, that's what i thought.. i might find cables that came supplied with ext ssd that is inserted well with the 907x then, thanks!

Quote from: polychloros on February 14, 2024, 01:39:22 AM
Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMHi ian, the 907x has that port housing which, a slightly bigger end of the plug wont be able to go through it

Hi, yes I understand that difference but the door on the 907x back isn't a tight fit with the supplied cable. I can plug other USB-C cables into that 907x port (e.g. my Apple USB-C charging cable or a fast USB-C data only cable I have that came with an external SSD).

I don't have an X2D: are you saying that the X2D comes with a different USB-C cable to the 907x cameras or that you have replaced your supplied Hasselblad cable with a faster third-party USB-C cable that has a plug too large to fit through the 907x port door? I guess I don't understand your original question. ;D

Hi, yes it isnt tight fit, but my fast usb c cable have a bigger end that cant fit, while the slower speed can fit in just fine, i was asking if the supplied cable has the high speed rating like the proper usb c3.1 gen 2 speed which proved not i believe

Quote from: photogar on February 14, 2024, 07:19:51 AMdo not try and use a cheap usb-c cable for other than charging. the cheap cables do not have any chips inside of them for data channeling and such. for fast throughput, you need to put down some $$ to get a good cable.
Data cables tend to have a number stamped/printed on the ends, showing how fast / cool they are.
Apple's thunderbolt 4 (usb-c data) cables are expensive, but worth every penny. You can look elsewhere on the forums for other brands that manufacture longer cables than 3 meters, if you are dangling your laptop off of the 50/100C

Thanks, i might have to find cable that's fast and can fit into the 907x

polychloros

Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMHi, yes it isnt tight fit, but my fast usb c cable have a bigger end that cant fit, while the slower speed can fit in just fine, i was asking if the supplied cable has the high speed rating like the proper usb c3.1 gen 2 speed which proved not i believe

Thanks, I now understand. I don't believe the supplied cable has a fast speed rating. It's a nice quality cable but I think it is meant to be a do-it-all cable (charging and data) rather than one optimised for speed. That Hasselblad sell it separately for about £25 also suggests it isn't a high speed rated cable. Have you tried the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cables? They look as if they would plug into the 907x port fine.

jakontil

Quote from: polychloros on February 15, 2024, 10:23:33 PM
Quote from: jakontil on February 12, 2024, 05:51:16 PMHi, yes it isnt tight fit, but my fast usb c cable have a bigger end that cant fit, while the slower speed can fit in just fine, i was asking if the supplied cable has the high speed rating like the proper usb c3.1 gen 2 speed which proved not i believe

Thanks, I now understand. I don't believe the supplied cable has a fast speed rating. It's a nice quality cable but I think it is meant to be a do-it-all cable (charging and data) rather than one optimised for speed. That Hasselblad sell it separately for about £25 also suggests it isn't a high speed rated cable. Have you tried the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cables? They look as if they would plug into the 907x port fine.

Hi ian, no i havent tested it, quite pricey but im willing to spend if it's compatible, may be others might share the experience

Thanks!

photogar

Quote from: jakontil on February 15, 2024, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: Patrick CM on February 13, 2024, 11:03:48 PMI too switched from my "normal" USB-C cable the cable Hasselblad that supplied with the X2D and it was amazing. Reading the SSD went from 100Mbps to over 600Mbs !

Hi patrick, that's what i thought.. i might find cables that came supplied with ext ssd that is inserted well with the 907x then, thanks!

Quote from: polychloros on February 14, 2024, 01:39:22 AM

Hi, yes it isnt tight fit, but my fast usb c cable have a bigger end that cant fit, while the slower speed can fit in just fine, i was asking if the supplied cable has the high speed rating like the proper usb c3.1 gen 2 speed which proved not i believe

Quote from: photogar on February 14, 2024, 07:19:51 AMdo not try and use a cheap usb-c cable for other than charging. the cheap cables do not have any chips inside of them for data channeling and such. for fast throughput, you need to put down some $$ to get a good cable.

Thanks, i might have to find cable that's fast and can fit into the 907x

Apple's thunder 4 cables fit fine in the 907x, but the 3m cable is $$$159 from apple. I actually do not have any thunder 4 cables that do not fit in to the CFV II 50C USB-C socket. If they do not fit, I would question whether they are legitimate cables, TBH.

I bought my apple TB4 3M cable on fleabay for around $40, brand new in the box. Just be careful buying on the flea, as there are unscrupulous sellers stuffing cheap knockoff cables in to genuine boxes. As always, look at the sellers reviews and current listings to get an understanding of what you are buying and from whom.
If you look at this YouTube video from Adam Savage (previously of myth busters) you can see the differences between the cables. they explain exactly what makes a cable good for data and what makes it usable only for charging.. (if that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5aAd8Oy84&t=3s

You can also find Samsung high speed cables on the flea as well.. just do your homework before clicking on the BUY NOW button.

jakontil

Hi @photogar

Thanks, i have a thunderbolt cable that came with my external thunderbolt SSD and did a speed test
Weird though the int ssd in 907x and X2D was only read max speed at 600Mbps, shouldnt it be 1000Mbps as stated officially the X2D support USB C 3.1 gen 2 which i believe s 10Gbps speed

So it's like losing half of the designated speed.. or may be i might try my usb. 3.1 gen2 cable on X2D

May be afterall, a thunderbolt cable might not be fully compatible like the Leica M11 situation

Hendrix_CI

While the supplied USB C cable that comes with an X2D or 907x/CFV 100c is capable of tethering (and I've used it for that, sitting at my desk testing various things), my impression has always been that the purpose of the cable is really for charging the battery in-camera with the USB charging block, so it may not be ideal for tethering from a speed standpoint. Plus it's quite short. A more robust and longer (if necessary) USB C cable might be more ideal. And we would recommend using the external dual charger anyway, instead of the charging block.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Patrick CM

In addition I also charge my X2D while it's connected to the Mac. Arriving today: a new, longer USB4/T4 cable  ... just for for fun, as I want to test its speed against the Hasselblad supplied cable.

Patrick CM

Quote from: Patrick CM on February 21, 2024, 10:59:12 PM

In addition I also charge my X2D while it's connected to the Mac. Arriving today: a new, longer USB4/T4 cable  ... just for for fun, as I want to test its speed against the Hasselblad supplied cable.
The good news is that the Hasselblad supplied cable performed exactly as the USB4/T4 cable.

jakontil

Quote from: Patrick CM on February 22, 2024, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: Patrick CM on February 21, 2024, 10:59:12 PM

The good news is that the Hasselblad supplied cable performed exactly as the USB4/T4 cable.

I'd be interested to know how it goes.. please keep us updated