Data cable for cfv100c 907x

Previous topic - Next topic

photogar

Quote from: jakontil on February 20, 2024, 02:43:06 PMHi @photogar

Thanks, i have a thunderbolt cable that came with my external thunderbolt SSD and did a speed test
Weird though the int ssd in 907x and X2D was only read max speed at 600Mbps, shouldnt it be 1000Mbps as stated officially the X2D support USB C 3.1 gen 2 which i believe s 10Gbps speed

So it's like losing half of the designated speed.. or may be i might try my usb. 3.1 gen2 cable on X2D

May be afterall, a thunderbolt cable might not be fully compatible like the Leica M11 situation

The thing with 'speed' is that it is only as fast as the slowest part of your system, generally.
To see the screaming speeds, you need to use equipment that is rate for that speed.
..meaning, if you are on an old Mac/PC with a USB C port, but the internal chips are slow and old, it will only be as fast as the host device (Mac/pc). And any slow devices that are plugged in to the same, may slow down the transfers.
It like putting tractor wheels on a Ferrari.. hopefully that made some sense.

All in all, don't worry too much about your speeds unless it truly impacts your workflow. That, as in the real world, the rated speeds are hard to achieve except in a lab.
If you have new kit and still are running slow, you will need to troubleshoot a bit. Try unplugging everything but the cable to the CFV, after you have restarted Mac/pc and camera. If that fixes it, plug in your other peripherals one by one until you see the speed drop, so you know which device - or combination of devices, kills the speed.
On my M2, I have to only run Microsoft products when I need them, but have learned not to let them run in the background while doing other tasks. Word and Excel kill the performance on my Mac. I generally use the apple programs instead, but some files need their mama..

Patrick CM

FWIW my testing using Thunderbolt cable was also at about 660 Mbps. I had 20 Nikon raw files, about 45mgs .. took only a few seconds, less than 5. I don't shoot that many on an outing, so at these speeds, I'm quite happy.

jakontil

Quote from: photogar on February 25, 2024, 08:49:18 AM
Quote from: jakontil on February 20, 2024, 02:43:06 PMHi @photogar

Thanks, i have a thunderbolt cable that came with my external thunderbolt SSD and did a speed test
Weird though the int ssd in 907x and X2D was only read max speed at 600Mbps, shouldnt it be 1000Mbps as stated officially the X2D support USB C 3.1 gen 2 which i believe s 10Gbps speed

So it's like losing half of the designated speed.. or may be i might try my usb. 3.1 gen2 cable on X2D

May be afterall, a thunderbolt cable might not be fully compatible like the Leica M11 situation

The thing with 'speed' is that it is only as fast as the slowest part of your system, generally.
To see the screaming speeds, you need to use equipment that is rate for that speed.
..meaning, if you are on an old Mac/PC with a USB C port, but the internal chips are slow and old, it will only be as fast as the host device (Mac/pc). And any slow devices that are plugged in to the same, may slow down the transfers.
It like putting tractor wheels on a Ferrari.. hopefully that made some sense.

All in all, don't worry too much about your speeds unless it truly impacts your workflow. That, as in the real world, the rated speeds are hard to achieve except in a lab.
If you have new kit and still are running slow, you will need to troubleshoot a bit. Try unplugging everything but the cable to the CFV, after you have restarted Mac/pc and camera. If that fixes it, plug in your other peripherals one by one until you see the speed drop, so you know which device - or combination of devices, kills the speed.
On my M2, I have to only run Microsoft products when I need them, but have learned not to let them run in the background while doing other tasks. Word and Excel kill the performance on my Mac. I generally use the apple programs instead, but some files need their mama..

Quote from: Patrick CM on February 25, 2024, 09:43:17 AMFWIW my testing using Thunderbolt cable was also at about 660 Mbps. I had 20 Nikon raw files, about 45mgs .. took only a few seconds, less than 5. I don't shoot that many on an outing, so at these speeds, I'm quite happy.

Thanks for all the input, i managed to get the cable desired a usb c3.1 gen 2, i was able to get 660MBps which i think already optimized and not quite surprising the cable that came with 907x actually boats the same high speed transfer

@Patrick CM hi patrick i think u meant 660MBps since 660Mbps will translate to roughly 66MBps which considered slow as close to usb 2.0 speed which is 480 Mbps