New OVF

Previous topic - Next topic

acg

FYI the new OVF for the 907x has 28, 38 and 55mm frame lines, nice!
aaron c greenman
aaroncgreenman@acuitycolorgrain.com
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

JCM-Photos

That's not nice at all losing all frames for original XCD lenses.

The better solution would have been, like Linhof made it in the past, proposing several removable glass plates with frames for original XCD's and XCD-V's
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 28, 2024, 11:57:14 AM

The better solution would have been, like Linhof made it in the past, proposing several removable glass plates with frames for original XCD's and XCD-V's
Both OVFs, with new and old markings are available as accessories.

polychloros

It looks like the new OVF will only fit the new 100c back (it uses the same fitting as the new hotshoe adaptor which slots onto the back itself rather than replacing the nameplate on the 907x body).

Georg Kovalcik

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 28, 2024, 11:57:14 AM

Linhof still makes them: https://linhof.com/en/optischer-universalsucher/
It´s adjustable (focal length) and has a proper parallax correction.

ramarren

Quote from: polychloros on January 30, 2024, 03:10:28 AM
It looks like the new OVF will only fit the new 100c back (it uses the same fitting as the new hotshoe adaptor which slots onto the back itself rather than replacing the nameplate on the 907x body).

I don't see anything in that photo that indicates the OVF itself cannot be used on any standard hot- or cold-shoe accessory mount. I've fitted other optical viewfinders into the OVF mount on my 907x, and have fitted the Hasselblad OVF into the standard shoe mount on other cameras too. (That said, the OVF foot  is a fractional mm wider than the standard shoes on other viewfinders so it doesn't fit all other accessory mounts, but other OVFs fit the shoe on the Hassy with no problems.)

G

polychloros

Quote from: ramarren on January 30, 2024, 05:25:42 AM
Quote from: polychloros on January 30, 2024, 03:10:28 AM

I don't see anything in that photo that indicates the OVF itself cannot be used on any standard hot- or cold-shoe accessory mount. I've fitted other optical viewfinders into the OVF mount on my 907x, and have fitted the Hasselblad OVF into the standard shoe mount on other cameras too. (That said, the OVF foot  is a fractional mm wider than the standard shoes on other viewfinders so it doesn't fit all other accessory mounts, but other OVFs fit the shoe on the Hassy with no problems.)

You are just being pointlessly pedantic. You can probably gaffer tape the OVF to the side of your face if you want to but I was simply pointing out that the new 907x optical viewfinder accessory (the 28, 38, 55 frameline one) as sold will only fit the 100c back. The supplied accessory mount doesn't fit the 907x body or the 50c back. Yes, you can take the OVF unit off and attach it by some other means but that is likely to involve additional expense or a less elegant solution.

SrMi

polychloros

Quote from: SrMi on January 30, 2024, 08:11:31 AM
Looking at the images of the old and the new OVF, the mounts seem identical.

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/907x-optical-viewfinder-new

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/907x-optical-viewfinder

They do look the same in those shop photos but they can't be the same if they mount in different places. I imagine the shop is just showing the exact same product and doesn't have photos for the new version.

The other possibility is that the two optical viewfinders are essentially the same and mount in the same place but the marketing photo (shown in my post above) of the OVF in place on the 100c is using the new hotshoe mount to hold the OVF? I wouldn't have thought that the OVF, being a non-standard size, would fit in the hotshoe but it would be weird too if Hasselblad released a new version of the OVF that didn't use the same kind of mount as the previous one.

I guess all will be clear when the products get into the hands of customers. All we know for sure, I think, is that the new hotshoe adaptor cannot be fitted to the 907x with 50c back.

JCM-Photos

The situation is weird,

Today Hasselblad only sells CFV 100c + 907x as a combo,

but there is no mention in the manual about the 907X and it's accessories grip, OVF
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ramarren

Quote from: polychloros on January 30, 2024, 06:34:46 AM

You are just being pointlessly pedantic. You can probably gaffer tape the OVF to the side of your face if you want to but I was simply pointing out that the new 907x optical viewfinder accessory (the 28, 38, 55 frameline one) as sold will only fit the 100c back. The supplied accessory mount doesn't fit the 907x body or the 50c back. Yes, you can take the OVF unit off and attach it by some other means but that is likely to involve additional expense or a less elegant solution.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

From what I can see, the new OVF looks like it has the same foot as the old OVF, and I bet you can fit either OVF to either the original 907x accessory mount or the new CFV 100c hot shoe accessory mount. Note that on https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/907x-optical-viewfinder-new , Hasselblad displays the new OVF with frame-lines for XCD 28P/38V/55V mounted on the original style optical finder bracket.

Unless you have some proof that this is not the case, perhaps you can stuff your p'p'ism right back where it belongs.

G

Thyl

Quote from: polychloros on January 30, 2024, 07:56:44 PM
Quote from: SrMi on January 30, 2024, 08:11:31 AM
Looking at the images of the old and the new OVF, the mounts seem identical.

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/907x-optical-viewfinder-new

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/907x-optical-viewfinder

They do look the same in those shop photos but they can't be the same if they mount in different places. I imagine the shop is just showing the exact same product and doesn't have photos for the new version.

The other possibility is that the two optical viewfinders are essentially the same and mount in the same place but the marketing photo (shown in my post above) of the OVF in place on the 100c is using the new hotshoe mount to hold the OVF? I wouldn't have thought that the OVF, being a non-standard size, would fit in the hotshoe but it would be weird too if Hasselblad released a new version of the OVF that didn't use the same kind of mount as the previous one.

I guess all will be clear when the products get into the hands of customers. All we know for sure, I think, is that the new hotshoe adaptor cannot be fitted to the 907x with 50c back.

In the video below, you can clearly see at 10 seconds into the video, how the coldshoe adapter for the OVF replaces the insert with the Hasselblad logo on the 907X. So, both OVFs and their coldshoe adapters can be used on both cameras. However, it is also evident that the hotshoe adapter for the CFV 100c cannot be used together with the coldshoe adapter for the OVF, or so I assume.

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/de/products/907x-cfv-100c

ramarren

Final word: Best to go to the source and stop all the silly conjecture. Hasselblad USA Customer Service has confirmed ...

- The old and new OVFs will both fit on both the original 907x/CFVII 50c OVF Bracket and the new 907x/CFV 100c OVF Hot Shoe Bracket.

- You cannot fit both OVF Brackets to a 907x/CFV 100c simultaneously.

G

polychloros

Quote from: ramarren on February 01, 2024, 11:49:24 AM
Final word: Best to go to the source and stop all the silly conjecture. Hasselblad USA Customer Service has confirmed ...
- The old and new OVFs will both fit on both the original 907x/CFVII 50c OVF Bracket and the new 907x/CFV 100c OVF Hot Shoe Bracket.

Ok, thanks for that. What bracket comes with the new OVF (the 28, 38, 55 one)? Is it the 'original' style bracket that goes on the 907x body or the new hotshoe bracket that fits only on the 100c back? It's a relevant question if you don't already own either of the OVFs and have the 907x with CFV 50c back.