H6D-100c v X2D-100c

Previous topic - Next topic

90s

Hello

I haven't found such a topic, if there is already one, I'm very sorry and please provide a link. Forum search found nothing.

I would like to ask you what is a better choice today when it comes to image quality.

I have an H5D-50c and I would like to replace it with an H6D-100c next year or change the entire system to an XD2.
I don't know what will be a better choice.

Weight is not an issue for me and I love my H5D.
However, I am tempted by the H6D sensor, better tonal range, real 16Bit and even greater detail.

However, the X2D has a newer sensor and newer lenses.

I have a dilemma and I would like to know your opinion, experienced users.

I am also aware that the H6D is the final camera of the H system. And the system itself is dead.
However, the Phase One IQ4 150MP alternative is beyond even my imagination :)

Regards
Jakub

JCM-Photos

Sharpen your eyes not your files

90s

I wouldn't even want to buy a new one.
Prices are becoming more and more attractive.
https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/brands/hasselblad

Ralf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXVyXWrNVg

He also makes a brief comparison to the H6D from minute 13:46.

Ralf

Personally, I prefer the X2D.  I thought the X1D was brilliant when I held it in my hand at Photokina in 2016.  The X2D then convinced me.  If you still decide on an H6D after watching the video.  At least the H6D has a sensor with larger dimensions.  There you can get a brand new H6D at an attractive price.  It was probably ordered by a customer and then not picked up.  https://www.fotokoch.de/Hasselblad-Gehaeuse-H6D-100c-WiFi-2-4-GHz-5-GHz_74877.html

90s

Thank you Ralf.
I saw Karl's movie. I watch his channel.

Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence in promotional materials.
From what I saw, the image with X is sharper.
Both sensors have 15 stops of tonal dynamics and 16 bit.
However, the H6D has a much larger sensor and the X series has the same sensor as my current one.

I also have a dilemma because changing the system is a big expense and involves selling everything.

I have time, it's a pity I can't test both cameras because it would be the easiest way to choose.

s it possible to turn off sensor stabilization? When stabilizing the image on a tripod, are there no micro vibrations as in the case of lens stabilizing ?

Ralf

The stabilization of the X2D can of course be switched off.  There are probably also adapters so that H lenses can be used on the X2D.  The extent to which all functions can be used probably depends on the lens version, but unfortunately I can't say anything about that.  Ultimately, only you can decide for yourself whether the H6D or the X2D is more suitable for you.  As brilliant as the Hasselblad's modular design was in analog times, digitally it makes little sense in my opinion.  So I see the only advantage of the H6D as the large sensor. In contrast, the advantages of the X2D are compactness, handling, faster lenses, stabilization, cheaper price, a certain degree of weatherproofing, future orientation and who knows what else.  I can only recommend that you borrow an X2D from your camera dealer to test it out.  I think you'll come to a decision quickly.  Kind regards, Ralf

Georg Kovalcik

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 14, 2023, 07:16:30 AM
H6D is no more sold today

It is not produced anymore, but you can still buy it new at some dealers. About € 20000,-

CedV

I have used both systems for years. My thoughts.

From a technical standpoint I have found the X-system superior. I am a cultural heritage photographer so technical precision is very important in my line of work. The X body-lens combination allows for more resolution (or you may call it sharpness) and a better color rendition. I create custom profiles and my delta E's are lower on the X2D.

It is also a much lighter and thus more portable camera. But that's not always an advantage. The X-system is made for (and marketed towards) travelling lifestyle photographers. I would even say, photo enthusiasts, not necessarily professionals. The H-bodies, on the other hand, are well-thought out and sturdy studio beasts. They were an investment, and still appear to keep their value better than an X body. But I wouldn't pay 20k for one now.
an H still has clear advantages for studio work. There are situations where I prefer an EVF, but I often miss the clarity of a real mirror. This is a key issue, and a very personal thing to decide. An H-body has more rugged connections and feels more stable. And, not to forget, an H-back can be detached for use on a technical camera.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to step into a 'dead' system. On the other hand, if you can find a good copy you'll be good for a long time. HB will keep servicing them for years to come. And the lenses are much cheaper now.

I'd like to see Hasselblad release a 'studio' version of the X-body, with a sturdier body, multishot etc. That would be my ultimate professional camera.

90s

Thank you CedV for your opinion. Such information is valuable to me because you have used both systems.

My outdoor equipment weighs over 20kg, a tripod, a panorama set, a filter set, a drone, a camera drone battery and other accessories.

XD it would probably be 7-10kg lighter.

However, I am not a fan of electronic viewfinders, which is why I still use the Canon 5DmkIV for photos where AF is a key issue.

So I will analyze all the pros and cons. Maybe it would actually be better to sell everything and build a new system.

Thank you again for all your comments.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Ralf

Quote from: 90s on December 18, 2023, 02:32:16 AM

However, I am not a fan of electronic viewfinders, ...

I also struggled with electronic viewfinders for a long time.  The X2D's viewfinder is the first thing that completely convinces me.  I stuck with my Nikon DSLRs in 35mm format and refused to switch to the Z system.

Patrick CM

Quote from: 90s on December 18, 2023, 02:32:16 AM

However, I am not a fan of electronic viewfinders, which is why I still use the Canon 5DmkIV for photos where AF is a key issue.

As I'm very shortsighted I find as I get older, that I need reading glasses to correct my corrected vision. sigh. That's where the EVF is wonderful. Since I got the Nikon Z6 over 4 years ago, I've not had to use reading glasses to see what the camera display shows me - the diopter adjustment is perfect and the EVF screen so detailed ... and I can review my shots and read the menus too, all while looking through the evf. It's a game changer for me. Now with a Nikon Z8 and the X2D, these two EVFs are simply superb.

asfeir

Carl Taylor compared both cameras in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GjcpJeKUs

He claims the X2D is superior to H6D

Thyl

You probably don't use TTL flashes, but if you did, the H system uses the SCA flash system, which really is dead, after the last manufacturer, Metz, gave up.

JCM-Photos

The H6 had 3 different back possibilities (even a 4th if you consider the A6) :

big sensors 100c and 100c MS
smaller sensor 50c the same you find in H5D50c, CFV50c, X1D, X1D2, 907X and CFV II 50c, Pentax, different 50 Mpix Fuji's.

Peter Coulson who was a long time Hasselblad ambassador, bought a H6D50c and a H6D100c.
After a period of practical use he considered the 100c slow against the 50c and that 100Mpix did not bring him any advantage for his kind of photography.
So he sold the 100c back and bought a second 50c.
Sharpen your eyes not your files