X2D weird flare artifact

Previous topic - Next topic

thesilentman

Looks like when a strong light source is hitting the X2D sensor at a particular angle it bounces off of something that creates these horizontal lines/banding.
I'm seeing a somewhat similar effect on the Leica M11, but to a lesser degree.

This happens with any lens and at any of the edges.
To reproduce - position a strong light source (e.g. phone flash) just outside of the edge and slowly move the edge away from the light source until you see this effect.

Anyone ever experienced this and knows what it is?

thesilentman

Not in this case. But I'm not talking about the flare, I'm talking about the horizontal stripes/banding close to the top edge.

Ralf

Could it be that you had the electronic shutter set?

thesilentman

Yes, but this banding is visible also in live view and in viewfinder (when the light hits at a specific angle), and the photo you see here was shot in daylight.

thesilentman

This is what I found online:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/12/24/nikon-d750-flare-problems-heres-why-and-what-to-do-about-them-its-not-lens

But in my case the banded flare seems to be much worse than in any of the examples in the article.

grotte

Looks like moiré. Since there is no regular pattern in the subject scene to cause this, perhaps the source is internal reflections within the Bayer filter array - light bouncing between the sensor and the filter cells? Ask Phocus to remove the moiré. If it does then it is it. But then the question becomes why the gap between the sensor stack up elements? QC issues?

thesilentman

Quote from: grotte on December 10, 2023, 10:11:12 AM
Looks like moiré. Since there is no regular pattern in the subject scene to cause this, perhaps the source is internal reflections within the Bayer filter array - light bouncing between the sensor and the filter cells? Ask Phocus to remove the moiré. If it does then it is it. But then the question becomes why the gap between the sensor stack up elements? QC issues?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

Ralf

I would say that the stripes do not occur with a mechanical shutter.  The time-delayed line-by-line reading causes strange things to happen.

CedLed

Hello !
I have exactly the same problem in studio with a rim light flash..
And I also wonder where does it come from...

thesilentman

Quote from: Ralf on December 10, 2023, 12:26:04 PM
I would say that the stripes do not occur with a mechanical shutter.  The time-delayed line-by-line reading causes strange things to happen.

Just tested with a mechanical shutter and phone flash and the banding is still visible in the final image.

thesilentman

Quote from: CedLed on December 10, 2023, 01:32:17 PM
Hello !

Thanks for sharing, this at the very least means I shouldn't rush sending the camera back just yet.
But kind of a disappointing "feature" at these price ranges.

MSuser

Quote from: thesilentman on December 10, 2023, 11:12:55 PM
Hello !

Thanks for sharing, this at the very least means I shouldn't rush sending the camera back just yet.

What did Hasselblad support suggest when you contacted them?

thesilentman

Quote from: MSuser on December 11, 2023, 09:59:37 AM
Quote from: thesilentman on December 10, 2023, 11:12:55 PM
Hello !

What did Hasselblad support suggest when you contacted them?

I'm currently awaiting a response.

Any X2D users here that mind checking if their camera does the same? Position the phone flash just outside the top edge and slowly move the edge away from the light source, at some point you should start seeing banding in the resulting flare.

Phil Holland

This is generally referred to as Gate Flare.  It's been happening on various still and motion picture cameras (digital or film) for many, many years.  Mainly comes down to angle of incidence and how the flare is reaching the sensor with other things obstructing it's specific light path.

Easy to test for if you take a flashlight and move it up down/left or right.

thesilentman

Quote from: Phil Holland on December 12, 2023, 01:03:03 PM
This is generally referred to as Gate Flare.  It's been happening on various still and motion picture cameras (digital or film) for many, many years.  Mainly comes down to angle of incidence and how the flare is reaching the sensor with other things obstructing it's specific light path.

Easy to test for if you take a flashlight and move it up down/left or right.

Thanks Phil. Do you know if it's usually inherent to a specific camera model or are there variations within the same model? Should I try to replace my X2D for a new one that might not have this issue?