X2D weird flare artifact

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Holland

Nope. This would be a physical obstruction inside the camera body and even sometimes the lens.  It's about the entrance and exit angles of light of the potential flare being blocked.  I have a lot of cameras, I've seen it on a whole bunch of them.  Only thing you may not see it on is a view camera.

A potential way to avoid it is a the lens shade however.  In the motion picture industry we use matte boxes (with a top flag/eyebrow) for instance to combat these situations.

JCM-Photos

Such kind of flare also existed on with cameras.
As the image circle of the lens is bigger than the image frame, the sun or studio light can be in the image circle even not being in the image itself.
In this case you can have strong reflexions in the lens internals.
Thats why lenses have internal baffles (to act as internl sunshades) and some elements have black paint on their rim ( loosening of paint ships causes "Schneideritis", some X-Pan 30mm lenses are concerned).
not blackened lens parts or camera parts can cause strong flare in the image.
Last but not least, such a frame external light source can shine on the sensor surface.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

thesilentman

Quote from: Phil Holland on December 14, 2023, 05:50:02 PM
Nope. This would be a physical obstruction inside the camera body and even sometimes the lens.  It's about the entrance and exit angles of light of the potential flare being blocked.  I have a lot of cameras, I've seen it on a whole bunch of them.  Only thing you may not see it on is a view camera.

A potential way to avoid it is a the lens shade however.  In the motion picture industry we use matte boxes (with a top flag/eyebrow) for instance to combat these situations.

Thanks for the explanation Phil.

This is the official response from the Hasselblad support, which makes me think they didn't really understand what I'm talking about, and basically educated me that a flare is flare and flare is not bad:
"The R&D states that this is called flare, and it is not a very bad issue, it is caused by the incident light at a particular angle."