Presentation, plea for advice about XCD 3,5-4,5/35-75MM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredfoto

Hello, new to the forum and about to embark on MF digital.
I come from 4x5 inch film, but costs, processing, and scanning are either prohibitive, or nearly impossible where I live.
I use a 210mm and a 90mm in 4x5 exclusively. The great majority of my work is shot on the 210mm, a G Copal f9.
I like something slightly telephoto, removing most of the foreground for my compositions, unless I go wide.
I usually print 1.25 meters by 1 meter, and sometimes go bigger from 4x5.
I like the Hasselblad cameras over the Fuji, aesthetics and haptics play a big role, as well as menu systems, and while not to disparage the Fuji, I feel the Hasselblad is more suited to my needs, weight and quiet operation being the priorities as I travel and hike a lot and like to have discreet, simple to operate gear, and sometimes use flash- hence the leaf shutter preference.
I have been using SIGMA Quattro cameras recently, the DP0 (21mm equivalent on 35mm) and the DP3 (75mm eq).
Great cameras within their tight parameters, but waiting for a possible FF Foveon just isn't an option.
I'd imagine the 21mm f4 Hasselblad would be the optimum choice for wide angle, but I don't mind the idea of 28mm eq.
There's no real equivalent 75mm (35mm equivalent) lens in MF, in either system- the 80 or 90mm being close.
210mm on 4x5 is roughly 60mm on 35mm equivalent, so I think the 80 or 90mm focal length might be too tight.
I'm thinking to get the 35-75mm XCD and the X2D 100 and I've got all bases covered for the least weight compared to two separate lenses.
Changing glass in the outdoors with a large sensor in the inclement weather where I live (Asturias, Spain) is problematic and this is eliminated with the zoom.
Life is about compromises, am I thinking right here with this set up?
Any advice from more experienced hands than mine would be greatly appreciated, this isn't a casual investment.
Many thanks in advance. You can see my work on www.fredfoto.net for a better idea of what I do.

hcubell

I have a range of XCD lenses...the 30mm, the 45 f/3.5, the 90mm f/3.2, the 135mm plus the 1.7x TC, and the 35-75 XCD zoom. I have been using the zoom with my X1Ds and for the last year with my X2D. It is an extraordinary lens. To say it is the finest zoom I have ever used is to understate its optical qualities. It gives up nothing to the XCD primes. It virtually never leaves the camera body I am shooting with, which is really important for me as I regularly shoot in adverse weather conditions where changing lenses is a disaster in the making...New England and the Iceland interior. I recently uploaded to my website a series of winter images from Vermont and Iceland images from a 2023 trip to Iceland. Almost all of these images were taken with the zoom.

MGrayson

I am a rare detractor of the XCD 35-75, but for only one reason: I almost never shoot in that focal range, and I have the 45/3.5. If there were an XCD 21-35, it would live on my X2D. Actually, a 24-70, or even a 24-50 would make me happy.

Everyone who DOES use the 35-75 range loves this lens.

Matt

AndrewM

Quote from: hcubell on December 02, 2023, 12:10:35 PM
I have a range of XCD lenses...the 30mm, the 45 f/3.5, the 90mm f/3.2, the 135mm plus the 1.7x TC, and the 35-75 XCD zoom. I have been using the zoom with my X1Ds and for the last year with my X2D. It is an extraordinary lens. To say it is the finest zoom I have ever used is to understate its optical qualities. It gives up nothing to the XCD primes. It virtually never leaves the camera body I am shooting with, which is really important for me as I regularly shoot in adverse weather conditions where changing lenses is a disaster in the making...New England and the Iceland interior. I recently uploaded to my website a series of winter images from Vermont and Iceland images from a 2023 trip to Iceland. Almost all of these images were taken with the zoom.
Howard, your images of Iceland 2023 are stunning. Tuscany II also. Reminds me of the movie "Gladiator". Well done!

hcubell

Quote from: AndrewM on December 02, 2023, 04:20:42 PM
Howard, your images of Iceland 2023 are stunning. Tuscany II also. Reminds me of the movie "Gladiator". Well done!
Thanks, much appreciated.

tenmangu81

But.... heavy !!
Robert

mar-ko

I tested the XCD 35-75 and gave it back, (only) because of the weight.
Image quality is outstanding, though, and fully at the same level as the (excellent) XCD primes.

If you're coming from 4x5, its weight will probably not scare you, but you may very quickly get used to the much lighter X2D options.

So, if weight is not an issue, I highly recommend this lens. (Plus I found the autofocus to be rather quick for an XCD lens.)

hcubell

Quote from: mar-ko on December 03, 2023, 12:16:04 AM
I tested the XCD 35-75 and gave it back, (only) because of the weight.
Image quality is outstanding, though, and fully at the same level as the (excellent) XCD primes.

If you're coming from 4x5, its weight will probably not scare you, but you may very quickly get used to the much lighter X2D options.

So, if weight is not an issue, I highly recommend this lens. (Plus I found the autofocus to be rather quick for an XCD lens.)

Yes, it is relatively heavy, but it replaces 3 lenses that I would otherwise carry. The 30mm, the 45 and the 65 or the 90. And, I don't have to change lenses.
I also don't carry and shoot casually with my X2D. I use a Sony A7R5 with a 24-120 zoom for that.

maxct

Love my 35-75mm - took it on a trip to Italy and rarely needed anything else.  I hate changing lenses and as long as you are ok with the size/weight it's a great choice - I don't feel like I am giving anything up optically vs. the primes (although I like the primes too :).

fredfoto

Hi everyone, and thanks to all for taking the time to give me advice and the benefit of your experience.
The weight won't be too much of a problem with the zoom, and your advice and results I've seen make a strong argument in its favor.
I've literally never had a zoom before, only ever working with primes, but digital is a different beast and this newish system from 'Blad is looking like it can actually replace a large part of the 4x5 work I do.
I'm tempted to go 21mm and 135mm and forget the middle, but might just as well start with the zoom, and add the extremes later in good time.
Once again, thanks a bunch, and for those who looked at my website, extra thanks and I hope you enjoyed my work.
Kind regards,
Fred

marcwick

I can understand that you want to get the zoom. Every two or three months I always ask myself, should I buy the 35-75 zoom, especially for traveling. But (and the question is serious) with a 100 megapixel sensor, do I really need a zoom, isn't it unnecessary? For sure cropping is not the same like taking the photo with a prime lens, but the possibilities to crop are really very good. Look at my example then you see what I mean:

X2D, 45P

marcwick

On my monitor it is perfectly sharp in the cropped version. For sure it makes life much easier to use the lightweight 45P instead of the heavy zoom. What do the other think? Am I wrong?

bmikiten

I'm a 4x5 film guy as well and shoot with a 90, 120, 210 most of the time. The X2D has been surprisingly easy to use and while I have 5 of the new lenses, I shoot with the zoom most of the time even when I have the other lenses with me. Most of my subjects are landscapes, cityscapes and some closer work but no macros. I'm not a portrait guy but have been using the 90mm more than I thought I would. The 135mm and the 1.7x are really good for longer distance subjects and the 21mm for huge sweeping landscapes BUT The 35mm is pretty close but does "feel different". I'd start with the zoom and see which direction you need to go.

MGrayson

I have a bad feeling about this. The X2D + 35-70 weighs less than the Leica S3 with the S70 - the lightest lens in the S system.

I only had the 28P with me, and so this is a 6MP crop. At 75mm, it would be 43 MP. So the $64,000 question (yes, I'm old) - would I actually carry the X2D + zoom around all day as a "just in case" outfit? I hope I never get the chance to try it!  ;D

Matt