90V has arrived

Previous topic - Next topic

vidio

Yes. And I originally forgot to mention that the 80 was shot at 1.9. So you are comparing the 90 at 2.5 to the 80 at 1.9. Pretty close considering that.

anGy

Thank you for sharing Vidio !
The front & back OOF areas are a bit more contrasty on the 90mm and less appealing to my taste. Close, but yet hummm.
Would also be interesting to see a comparison with both at f2,5 and more or less corresponding framing (to match a more normal, non test mode use).

Ralf

However, if you were to compare the image effect with the same image section, you would have to move closer to the subject with the 80mm, which would lead to a further reduction in the depth of field.  From this point of view, the difference between the two lenses would become greater.

anGy

Agree, the distance adjustment wouldn't be huge but will increase the OOF a bit. In real life I would frame the same with both lenses so it would be nice to compare them for the same framing.
But there's many ways to test and compare lenses, happy to see what Vidio did and share already !

MGrayson

Quote from: Ralf on November 26, 2023, 12:31:55 AM
However, if you were to compare the image effect with the same image section, you would have to move closer to the subject with the 80mm, which would lead to a further reduction in the depth of field.  From this point of view, the difference between the two lenses would become greater.

It is often pointed out that, for the same image content, say, a head shot, the f-stop, and not focal length, is what determines DoF. However, the size of distant bokeh depends only on the physical aperture, and will be larger with longer focal length lenses at the same f-stop.

Apendix: In general, bokeh disks are the intersection of the focal plane with a cone based at the aperture whose vertex is at the light source. The sharp angle of that cone at the focal plane is a function only of f-stop, since the longer focal length lens has to be further away to get the same framing at the plane of focus. The cones from nearby OOF points are thus almost identical. For a distant light source, though, the cone is close to a cylinder of the diameter of the aperture in the region between the camera and the subject.

In the attached figures, the bokeh disks are the intersections of the red and blue cones with the focal plane. A point is "in focus" if its disk is smaller than the desired circle of confusion.

Ralf

...that's exactly why the shooting distance would have to be shortened for comparison shots with the shorter focal length.  But well, the comparison shots are enough to see the trend.  Thank you for sharing.

vidio

OK. Here's my next humble attempt. I tried to make the following three pairs close to the same size. But of course it is not at all scientific. I did not measure, just eyeballed it. But I think it gives the idea. Also the color balance on the first two pairs was set wrong because of the single greatest irritant about the X2D. Once you plug it in to download photos it changes the color balance to the last photo. Absolute madness and I forget all the time. But I left it as is because I did not want to introduce any additional variable.

Overall I am loving the 90V. As you can see the absolute bokeh king is still the 80. But for practical purposes the 90 excels with its faster focus (although I used manual focus for the tests in real life the 90V seems to focus more accurately as well) and lighter weight it is a joy to use.

Once these lens actually start rolling out officially Im sure there will be people who do better tests but for now this has been a blast.

90 on the left, 80 on the right.

vidio

vidio

vidio

anGy

Thank you Vidio, very kind having done this 2nd test with matching framing.
Both lenses shot full open, right ?

vidio

Yes - 90 shot at 2.5 and the 80 at 1.9.

Now of course the next thought would be what would they look like both at 2.5? But I've run out of time now and have a busy week ahead...

Photon42

Thanks for your efforts, Video.

maxct

I have the 80mm and to me the results are sublime - that being said, I don't carry it a lot due to the size/weight, and because I am generally a wide-angle shooter.  Right now I am on the fence about the new 90v - the size and weight look great, but the cost to upgrade is not small, and will the results really rival the 80?  And maybe my 55v is enough for me for a short tele when I want to travel light (I have the 28P as well) - after all, 100mp on the X2D gives you a LOT of cropping room.

Which leads me to the question - what would the remaining resolution be if I cropped a 55v X2D shot to a 90mm FOV?  (I realize there will be other differences but I am just wondering about resolution)... sorry my math is not that great. 

Thanks

MGrayson

Quote from: maxct on November 29, 2023, 09:27:29 AM
I have the 80mm and to me the results are sublime - that being said, I don't carry it a lot due to the size/weight, and because I am generally a wide-angle shooter.  Right now I am on the fence about the new 90v - the size and weight look great, but the cost to upgrade is not small, and will the results really rival the 80?  And maybe my 55v is enough for me for a short tele when I want to travel light (I have the 28P as well) - after all, 100mp on the X2D gives you a LOT of cropping room.

Which leads me to the question - what would the remaining resolution be if I cropped a 55v X2D shot to a 90mm FOV?  (I realize there will be other differences but I am just wondering about resolution)... sorry my math is not that great. 

Thanks

37MP = 100MP *(55/90)^2