90V has arrived

Previous topic - Next topic

vidio

Just arrived, shipped from B&H. Very initial impressions is that it is a bit heavier and the shutter is a bit louder than other V lenses. But focus is snappy and handling and sharpness seem great. A few pics in the garden look wonderful. But I've got to get to work so I'll do more later.

vitdev

Congratulations! Still waiting here :)

How does star rendering look like? In this video (https://youtu.be/8PJicwxC870) they compared stars from light sources on closed aperture between V (2.5/38) and older XCD lenses. The older seem to have sharper ends (probably look better), so I'm curious if that's V lens design or just 38mm.

Got 2.5/55, gonna check it too.

vitdev

I guess 2.5/55 is somewhere in between. It's cloudy today, so I did a quick test with iPhone flash 😀

vidio

The lens hood is really really stiff. Very difficult to take on and off. On the other hand both Phocus and Adobe recognize the lens and make the necessary corrections. Seems incredibly sharp at 2.5. Fair amount of vignetting at 2.5 but corrects nicely in Phocus/ACR. Minimal distortion. It's dark and rainy here so difficult to get star rendering. Here's my trial but I'm not sure about focus, etc.

vitdev

I'd do infinite focus and f/32 aperture to test it.

PS I almost never use hood with my lenses 🤔

MarkN

Am I missing something here?  Someone finally gets the elusive 90mm f2.5 and the first images posted are a series of starburst patterns?????  How do actual images look?  What is this lens capable of?  Play some music with it, not just some notes!

vidio

hahahah I agree. I just posted the star becasue someone asked for it. But I certainly would not choose a lens based on the star pattern!
I'm in the middle of some work right now and the weather is dark and dreary but will try to post when I get a chance.

JCM-Photos

But consistent star rendering over all different lenses is part of Hasselblad lens design
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Photon42

Part of me wants to believe that 8). Good the thing finally finds its way to the general public.

MGrayson

XCD 28P also has unsharp star points. I guess they chose rounder bokeh over sharp star points (which require polygonal bokeh - Fourier Transforms don't lie.)

vidio

Some quick hand held shots from the 90 V that are not starburst.

vidio

vidio

vidio

vidio