90V has arrived

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo14

It seems to me as well that the AF is the fastest of all existing lenses on the X2D with the new firmware.

Pablo14

A shot testing the lens and live view when tethering. No edit on Phocus except for white balance.

ymc226

I am happy for all of the positive impressions.  Hasselblad sent me notification that the lens was available from their US site so I ordered it and cannot wait for its arrival.

pdprinter

I got mine last Thursday and I am quite happy with its IQ and handling on my 907X. Today I was playing around if it works close up with extensions (only 11 mm) or a close-up lens (NiSI 77) and the later works very well but as I expected not with extension rings (chromatic and spherical aberrations). It has quite strong pincushion distortions but that is automatically perfectly corrected in Phocus.
I still have to find an empty SD-card to upgrade the lens.

MGrayson

Quote from: Pablo14 on December 08, 2023, 10:04:05 AM
A shot testing the lens and live view when tethering. No edit on Phocus except for white balance.

(The image below doesn't show accurate colours unless clicking on it. Not sure if I did something wrong when uploading)

Nice look. Pleasant and smooth bokeh.

Doesn't anyone have both 90's? Ordinarily, I'd be the first person to buy all the lenses in a system. Alas, those days are behind me. Only absolutely necessary medium format cameras and lenses from now on.  ::)

Photon42

I feel you. Just bought a 3.2/90 pre-loved at an unbeatable price.Surprisingly I like it quite a bit.

flash

Quote from: MGrayson on December 08, 2023, 03:18:32 PM

(The image below doesn't show accurate colours unless clicking on it. Not sure if I did something wrong when uploading)

Doesn't anyone have both 90's? Ordinarily, I'd be the first person to buy all the lenses in a system. Alas, those days are behind me. Only absolutely necessary medium format cameras and lenses from now on.  ::)

I do but I'm not yet home to open the new one. I have the original with me now.

It usually takes me weeks to months to get a feel for a new lens. I refuse to shoot brick walls and only after some time will I have shot all all distances at all apertures. A couple of sided by side shots does not a proper comparison make.

I've used the original extensively so I reckon I'll have some impressions in the next week or so. A full report will take much longer.

Gordon

MGrayson

Quote from: flash on December 08, 2023, 09:55:52 PM

It usually takes me weeks to months to get a feel for a new lens. I refuse to shoot brick walls and only after some time will I have shot all all distances at all apertures. A couple of sided by side shots does not a proper comparison make.

I've used the original extensively so I reckon I'll have some impressions in the next week or so. A full report will take much longer.

Gordon

I'm only interested in impressions for the same reason we don't shoot brick walls (yes, I succumb to a star chart if I think there's something wrong). I look forward to yours.

Matt

flash

Quote from: MGrayson on December 09, 2023, 01:08:15 AM

Gordon

I'm only interested in impressions for the same reason we don't shoot brick walls (yes, I succumb to a star chart if I think there's something wrong). I look forward to yours.

Matt

Some handling and focus impressions with both 90's side by side on 2 x X2D bodies.... Tested indoors and outdoors.

1. The size and weight difference is really small but on the camera the new lens balances a bit better. Maybe weight is closer to the mount? Not huge but I noticed it.
2. All the V advantages of the new lens are there like the clutch. I really like these and used the clutch a lot on a recent trip.
3. Focus is slightly quieter than the old 90 but the shutter is slightly louder. Not by much though. It's more a different sound.
4. AF speed in good light is marginally faster. Marginally. The older 90 was already one of the better lenses on the new system. The main difference is the old lens has that CDAF pulse at the end of the focus movement to lock on whereas the new V lens doesn't. I tested 3m to infinity and 1 meter to infinity wth the same results.
5. The new lens is much more confidant in low light and backlighting. The older lens hunts more often and slows down it's AF in these conditions. The new lens seemed pretty confident so far. This is the biggest difference I'm seeing so far.
6. I still don't get why HB prioritises makeing the new lenses small and light and then adds 70 grams of lens caps.....

Gordon

p.s. Anecdotally, because I didn't test before and after, I think my 135 and 80 may have had a small af speed bump with the new firmware. I'll be testing them with the face detect to see how much more usable they become. So far so good.

pdprinter

Sensei makes decent plastic lens caps if one wants a lighter bag

MGrayson

Quote from: flash on December 10, 2023, 01:50:28 PM
Quote from: MGrayson on December 09, 2023, 01:08:15 AM

Gordon

Matt

Some handling and focus impressions with both 90's side by side on 2 x X2D bodies.... Tested indoors and outdoors.

1. The size and weight difference is really small but on the camera the new lens balances a bit better. Maybe weight is closer to the mount? Not huge but I noticed it.
2. All the V advantages of the new lens are there like the clutch. I really like these and used the clutch a lot on a recent trip.
3. Focus is slightly quieter than the old 90 but the shutter is slightly louder. Not by much though. It's more a different sound.
4. AF speed in good light is marginally faster. Marginally. The older 90 was already one of the better lenses on the new system. The main difference is the old lens has that CDAF pulse at the end of the focus movement to lock on whereas the new V lens doesn't. I tested 3m to infinity and 1 meter to infinity wth the same results.
5. The new lens is much more confidant in low light and backlighting. The older lens hunts more often and slows down it's AF in these conditions. The new lens seemed pretty confident so far. This is the biggest difference I'm seeing so far.
6. I still don't get why HB prioritises makeing the new lenses small and light and then adds 70 grams of lens caps.....

Gordon

p.s. Anecdotally, because I didn't test before and after, I think my 135 and 80 may have had a small af speed bump with the new firmware. I'll be testing them with the face detect to see how much more usable they become. So far so good.

Gordon,

Thank you for this. Either the new 90 has a REALLY loud shutter, or mine needs a new muffler. It's almost as loud as the 45/3.5. I wonder when mine was made? I got it used and I don't see a serial number on it (I'm in bad light right now, so I could just be missing it.)

Matt

Frankvth

mine is REALLY loud as well. So i think it's just the 90.

vitdev

Quote from: vidio on November 22, 2023, 05:37:29 AMJust arrived, shipped from B&H. Very initial impressions is that it is a bit heavier and the shutter is a bit louder than other V lenses. But focus is snappy and handling and sharpness seem great. A few pics in the garden look wonderful. But I've got to get to work so I'll do more later.

Have you noticed any oil on shutter blades? I got mine and there's oil. Other XCD lenses I have are clean.

pdprinter

Are you sure that is oil? It looks to me more like abrasion on one shutter blade during assembly

fcarucci

HB confirmed my 90 was defective and I sent it back for replacement. Next available unit will be shipped in May. What an odyssey this lens is...