FFR vs FFF

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitten

I saw a Phocus video which suggested deleting your FFR files once you had imported to FFF.
I hate to delete anything, but the YouTuber claimed there was no difference, except the size of the file.
Any advice?

bmikiten

I believe it is just a naming convention. I do this all the time.

SrMi

I believe FFF is losslessly compressed version and it contains Phocus operations applied to it.

Whitten

The FFF files are smaller, not by much. 128mb FFR vs 78mb FFF?

Whitten

Maybe I will keep FFR on one HD as a back up.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Whitten on November 11, 2023, 06:56:09 AM
Maybe I will keep FFR on one HD as a back up.

That's what I am doing. I only use .fff for processing, and I keep .3FR on an external HD, just in case.
Robert

JCM-Photos

3FR files are useless when you store and backup fff files.

fff files contain all descriptions of Phocus treatment and can be read by any other software (without Phocus treatment)

The advantage of 3FR is that they can contain Phocus mobile 2 treatments that can be replicated in the Phocus desktop fff file or not depending if you check the option when importing or not.

This is a unique flexibility between mobile and desktop treatments
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Whitten

The FFF is a smaller file size. That's my only concern. Whatever stills or video camera, I have always retained the core, raw files.
Is there any quality difference between the FFR and FFF?

tenmangu81

The only thing I know is that when you open .3FR and .fff in Lightroom, there is a slight difference in exposure, and you should compensate it by about 0.4 EV to get the same image.
You can't process .3FR within Phocus without importing them into .fff, as far as I know.
Robert

Whitten

Yes, I think that's right.

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 11, 2023, 10:48:44 PM
The only thing I know is that when you open .3FR and .fff in Lightroom, there is a slight difference in exposure, and you should compensate it by about 0.4 EV to get the same image.
You can't process .3FR within Phocus without importing them into .fff, as far as I know.

The difference in brightness is only visible if only one file has lens correction applied.
When I apply lens corrections to the FFF and 3FR files in LrC, I do not see any difference between 3FR and FFF. The histograms are identical.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on November 12, 2023, 05:12:46 AM

The difference in brightness is only visible if only one file has lens correction applied.
When I apply lens corrections to the FFF and 3FR files in LrC, I do not see any difference between 3FR and FFF. The histograms are identical.

Not with me....
??????
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 12, 2023, 07:29:38 AM
Quote from: SrMi on November 12, 2023, 05:12:46 AM

Not with me....
??????

Strange. Have you checked that you are using the same profile? Can anyone else see a difference in brightness when importing 3FR and FFF into Lightroom?

tenmangu81

The only difference is the white balance temperature, which is different (checked on one image only) between .3FR and .fff.
All other parameters are strictly the same. When increasing the EV of the .fff by 0.4 EV, I get exactly the same image and the same histogram.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 12, 2023, 09:41:48 AM
The only difference is the white balance temperature, which is different (checked on one image only) between .3FR and .fff.
All other parameters are strictly the same. When increasing the EV of the .fff by 0.4 EV, I get exactly the same image and the same histogram.
I see only a slight difference in Tint (16 vs. 19 and 7 vs 10) in the examples I tried.