FFR vs FFF

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitten

You can undo all the assumptions/corrections on an FFF if you untick the box. I have changed the white balance no problem.
I find the anti-vignetting in 'lens correction' massively impacts the exposure. I find it too heavy handed and usually disable the 'vignetting' correction.

SrMi

The raw data in 3FR and FFF must be the same. The difference is in compression (file size) and EXIF tags.

One annoying change in FFF is renaming the camera type from "X2D 100C" to "Hasselblad X2D 100C."

3FR has a "Color Matrix 1" tag, while FFF has an "Analog Balance" tag. This could cause a difference upon import, but I am unfamiliar with those tags and their effect. I see a slight difference in default WB.

Small differences in "Field Of View" and "Hyper Focal Distance" also exist, but those do not matter.

bmikiten

Sorry to be "that guy" but is there a consensus on this?

B

Whitten

Sadly there is very little real world Phocus experience on Youtube. Mostly it is Hasselblad posting promo videos.
The one exception I've found is Australian Peter Coulsen. He imports his FFR files as FFF and works on them in Phocus and Photoshop. So I can only guess he thinks the quality is as good as the original FFR.

SrMi

Quote from: Whitten on November 14, 2023, 09:05:37 PM
Sadly there is very little real world Phocus experience on Youtube. Mostly it is Hasselblad posting promo videos.
The one exception I've found is Australian Peter Coulsen. He imports his FFR files as FFF and works on them in Phocus and Photoshop. So I can only guess he thinks the quality is as good as the original FFR.

I believe Coulsen's use differs from what is being discussed here (and is quite common). After initial processing in Phocus, he exports the file as TIFF to Phocus.
The question here is whether we should process 3FR or FFF files in LrC and what the difference is.
One member claims there is a difference in brightness, and another disagrees.
Everyone agrees that there is a slight difference in WB (and camera name in metadata).
Regardless, it seems safe to use either of them in LrC.

Whitten

Quote from: SrMi on November 15, 2023, 04:14:46 AM

I believe Coulsen's use differs from what is being discussed here (and is quite common).

You believe wrong. I started the discussion, I then mentioned Coulsen and his Phocus usage.
He has a video showing how he uses Phocus from beginning to end of an image. In another workflow he does most of his image processing in Phocus and then exports to Photoshop only for final repair work, like blemish and spot removal.
He's pretty positive about using FFF files in Phocus, but he's the only professional Ive found who has gone through his or her Phocus workflow on Youtube.

Whitten

https://youtu.be/3Nk3CBBgzCw?si=8xOzOdUzmMBtlP5f

My actual point was that I wished some other pros had made videos about Phocus. I'm not into studio glamour photography.....but still I gleaned some useful information from the above.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Whitten on November 16, 2023, 12:19:21 AM

I believe Coulsen's use differs from what is being discussed here (and is quite common).

You believe wrong. I started the discussion, I then mentioned Coulsen and his Phocus usage.
He has a video showing how he uses Phocus from beginning to end of an image. In another workflow he does most of his image processing in Phocus and then exports to Photoshop only for final repair work, like blemish and spot removal.
He's pretty positive about using FFF files in Phocus, but he's the only professional Ive found who has gone through his or her Phocus workflow on Youtube.

Many people process like this, indeed. Phocus is not that bad as far as tools are concerned, but not as powerful as Lightroom, for instance. But as long as colours and lens corrections are concerned, Phocus is without any doubt the best software for developing Hasselblad RAW files (and the best to work tethered). It is not thus surprising that Coulson uses Phocus up to the limits of the software can reach, and then go to Photoshop by exporting a TIFF.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: Whitten on November 16, 2023, 12:19:21 AM

Phocus can only work with FFF files. Once you import 3FR file into Phocus, it is automatically converted to FFF. Lightroom can work with both, 3FR and FFF files.
Does Coulson delete the 3FR files after import?

JCM-Photos

I've worked 4 times with Peter to learn his model direction, lighting techniques and Hasselblad workflow.

He mainly works tethered to Phocus what means he gets an fff file on his computer after each shutter action. (no 3FR)

He also uses automatic Phocus treatment on the fly. Each shot is automatically converted to B and W and treated with his own recipe to obtain his style (still as a fff file):
V1 engine
no sharpening
B and W conversion mainly on green channel
V1 clarity for the halo around the model
enhanced contrast
blacks protection
downcurve for the chromy look
saved as fff

After the fine tuning of the light direcly on the computer screen and RAW treatment as Coulson style B and W, all following shots of the set going in Phocus are automatically treated as the first has been manually.

After the shooting he edits the fff files and exports the selected ones as TIFF files.

The TIFF files go in Photoshop for:
background cleaning
blotches removing
dodge and burn of the skin

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Whitten

So far..... thanks all for the input. It is helping, and also interesting.

MSuser

Quote from: Whitten on November 16, 2023, 12:39:58 AM
https://youtu.be/3Nk3CBBgzCw?si=8xOzOdUzmMBtlP5f

My actual point was that I wished some other pros had made videos about Phocus. I'm not into studio glamour photography.....but still I gleaned some useful information from the above.

These Phocus 3.0 video tutorials from Karl Taylor are seven years old, but they're a pretty good introduction and broken down into short videos on specific topics.

This Phocus 3.5 webinar is more recent and covers some of the added features in that newer version. Another of the more recent webinars covers Phocus 3.6 & Phocus Mobile 2 1.2 Updates. This webinar provides some details on the Phocus Reproduction Mode.

There's also a series of Phocus Q&A webinars, each on a different set of topics, which may be helpful from June 2021, July 2021, August 2021, September 2021, and November 2021. Check the description directly beneath each video for the topics covered in that webinar.

This webinar on "Color Management with the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution" is useful for understanding the basic principals behind Hasselblad's color system.

Whitten

Yes I've watched a few, but IMO real world usage is more useful.
I understand the basics of Phocus, the tools etc.
Some of the old Karl Taylor videos miss details I'm looking for.