Charger question for X2D battery

Previous topic - Next topic

ymc226

I just joined this forum after ordering my first digital Hasselblad.  I previously shot film Hasselblads (203FE, 205FCC and SWCs) but consigned all my gear about 3 years ago.  Presently I ordered the X2D along with the 38 XCDV lens from B&H whose site states there is a USB type C charger.  Is the charger a dedicated charger like the ones from Leica or is it just a plug transformer and you still need to charge the battery in camera via a cable?  If so, how many use the dual slot charger that is available separately?  I also ordered an extra battery directly from Hasselblad as B&H were out of stock.

flash

Quote from: ymc226 on November 05, 2023, 08:28:47 AM
I just joined this forum after ordering my first digital Hasselblad.  I previously shot film Hasselblads (203FE, 205FCC and SWCs) but consigned all my gear about 3 years ago.  Presently I ordered the X2D along with the 38 XCDV lens from B&H whose site states there is a USB type C charger.  Is the charger a dedicated charger like the ones from Leica or is it just a plug transformer and you still need to charge the battery in camera via a cable?  If so, how many use the dual slot charger that is available separately?  I also ordered an extra battery directly from Hasselblad as B&H were out of stock.

The X2D charges via the camera. USBC charging directly is as quick as the double charger and very convenient. Also you can get a cheap battery bank and charge the camera directly from that. I do this in the field a lot and it's really handy. I carry one spare battery for the X2D while out walking where I had several more for the x1D.

I got the dual charger when I got my X1DII. I still use it as it's small and easy to travel with. Now I can charge three batteries at once. Two in the charger and one in camera. I travel with a PD power adaptor that charges everything including my laptop and the Hasselblad adaptor is still in it box.

Is the double charger useful? Yes, for me. Do you need it? No, definitely not.

Gordon

ymc226

Thank you Flash.  I might just get the separate charger.

MGrayson

I love the dual charger and use it for either one or two X batteries.

etn

Quote from: MGrayson on November 05, 2023, 11:26:21 AM
I love the dual charger and use it for either one or two X batteries.
+1 on that. The dual charger is very convenient. Its power supply has also become my go-to charger for everything USB-C in our household. Perfect example: my 3-year old son has a battery powered, USB-C, night light lamp. My iPad charger, for some reason, will not charge it. The Hasselblad does it without any hiccup. (Hasselblad electrons have much more style anyway :D)

ymc226

The customer reviews on B&H also rave about the all metal construction and functional beauty of the charger prompting me to order it.  I did order a B&W UV filter for the 38XCDV, not the Hasselblad one as I wasn't willing to pay the premium just as I almost never get the Leica filters. 

As an aside, is the issue with the Hasselblad supplied camera strap falling off unexpectedly from the attachment point still a concern or has the new supplier of the proprietary clips corrected the defect?  Unfortunately I sold all my Hassy straps, some NOS when I unloaded my film system but I did find a NOS Haselblad 1/2 inch wide leather strap that is on its way to me.

etn

Quote from: ymc226 on November 06, 2023, 07:41:51 AM
As an aside, is the issue with the Hasselblad supplied camera strap falling off unexpectedly from the attachment point
Is this an issue?
I have no experience with the X2D but I've been using those straps with 500-series for over 10 years without any problem. Both share the same system don't they?

flash

The customer reviews on B&H also rave about the all metal construction and functional beauty of the charger prompting me to order it.  I did order a B&W UV filter for the 38XCDV, not the Hasselblad one as I wasn't willing to pay the premium just as I almost never get the Leica filters. 

As an aside, is the issue with the Hasselblad supplied camera strap falling off unexpectedly from the attachment point still a concern or has the new supplier of the proprietary clips corrected the defect?  Unfortunately I sold all my Hassy straps, some NOS when I unloaded my film system but I did find a NOS Haselblad 1/2 inch wide leather strap that is on its way to me.

I have two X2D's and neither has an issue with the strap attachments. I also got some aftermarket ones for a wrist strap and their fine as well. Mostly though I prefer a QD mount via a tripod plate.

Gordon

SrMi

Quote from: etn on November 06, 2023, 07:47:03 AM
As an aside, is the issue with the Hasselblad supplied camera strap falling off unexpectedly from the attachment point
Is this an issue?
I have no experience with the X2D but I've been using those straps with 500-series for over 10 years without any problem. Both share the same system don't they?
I have been traveling 6 weeks with my X2D and the original straps and had no issues.

Larsb

I also got the Hasselblad dual charger and while slow, it is very well built, small and very nice.  It takes a few hours to charge two batteries, and as long as you are not in a rush, is definitely worth getting.  It is made out of metal, and definitely the best quality (from a build perspective) charger I have come across.  It also looks very nice :-)
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

ymc226

Quote from: SrMi on November 06, 2023, 09:50:01 AM
Is this an issue?
I have been traveling 6 weeks with my X2D and the original straps and had no issues.

That is good to hear about the supplied strap. An earlier post stated the initial shipments had strap connectors that were weaker in springing back to a locked position due to a supplier issue if I understood the postings correctly.  I prefer thinner opposed to wider straps so may use another strap nevertheless with the Hassy clips.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Two options - first and most obvious is to charge in camera - almost any 5Watt+ power source will do a great job. I use Apple chargers which I also use with iPad and MBP.
The other option is to buy a spare battery and the Hasselblad charging hub which is also great. I tend to carry these together and charge with my apple chargers and usb-c power banks. 

Whitten

flash

Quote from: ymc226 on November 06, 2023, 04:52:33 PM
Quote from: SrMi on November 06, 2023, 09:50:01 AM
Is this an issue?

That is good to hear about the supplied strap. An earlier post stated the initial shipments had strap connectors that were weaker in springing back to a locked position due to a supplier issue if I understood the postings correctly.  I prefer thinner opposed to wider straps so may use another strap nevertheless with the Hassy clips.

I have two X2D's. One from release day and one from a latter build (slight body differences too). Clips are fine on both. There was likely just a bad batch of clips. Also, I'm really careful to make sure they're engaged properly.

Gordon

ymc226

Quote from: Whitten on November 08, 2023, 06:33:02 AM
I'm using one of these:
https://www.nitecore.co.uk/products/nitecore-uhx1-pro-hasselblad-camera-charger.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_media=Product+Search&ID=13288&F1=0&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-D9tbWyggMVQ4ZQBh0JQwKnEAQYASABEgJLuPD_BwE

They are local to me, although they don't allow personal visits. I ordered it online. I have three batteries. While I'm using one the other two are recharging.

Thanks for making me aware of the Nitecore charger; I didn't realize they made one for the XD1 as I do still have ones for the Leica M9 (had ones for the Leica SL and M10)