Printing raw files vs tiff 16

Previous topic - Next topic

pkahn

Is the Hasselblad color space compressed when an adjusted raw file is exported to a TIFF 16?

tenmangu81

If you export as a TIFF with Hasselblad L*RGB as working space, you'll keep it. I suggest, however, to export as TIFF-16 Prophoto, which is a common working space for many softwares, including Photoshop, and which is large enough to encompass any printing.
Robert

JCM-Photos

If your computer stores the Hasselblad L*RGB profile (what indeed is when Phocus is installed) all other Photo software will be able to open Phocus TIFF exports with this profile without problem.
I do the follow up work in Affinity Photo as a 16bit Hasselblad L*RGB TIFF and even go directly to the my printer with it.

Adding unnecessary color space conversions lowers the end quality of the file as each new conversion is a new added approximation.
I would only recommend export conversions to Adobe RGB or sRBG for respectively TIFF or JPEG files for external use.

Sharpen your eyes not your files

tjelt

Prophoto provides a larger color space than Adobe RGB.  I'm curious why you recommend Adobe RGB over Prophoto?

JCM-Photos

I recommend Hasselblad L* space as a working space ( very close to Prophoto with better darks) and Adobe RGB as an export for external print service, as the best fine Art printers Gammut isn't bigger.

tenmangu81

My very cheap printer has a gamut larger than Adobe RGB in some (reduced) parts....
So, I always start from a larger space than Adobe RGB before printing at home.
When externalizing printing, it just depends upon what the printer asks for. And very often, it is sRGB, and, yes, sometimes Adobe RGB.
Robert

JCM-Photos

Yes you are right when I print with my High end inkjet printer I go directly on the printer with Hasselblad L*

But most external non professional commercial print services have machines with a very low gammut, often much lower than Adobe RGB (for example on RA4 chemical papers, dye sublimation printers etc...)

It's allways more accutrate have little difference between file space and printer gammut, when the printing is external, unless you make hard proofed prints that cost a lot.

SaraBMay

I find that when I export from Phocus as a TIFF, I don't have the option to choose Hasselblad L* RGB or even Hasselblad RGB as the output profile— only the options of

Hasselblad 330 Skel 30K75
Hasselblad 350 Skel 30K90
Hasselblad Rec.709

There are many other options of course, including the usual PP RGB and Adobe RGB, but I would prefer a Hasselblad profile, since Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop both recognize that. Is the best option to choose "source?" If not, which Hasselblad output profile should be chosen?

Thank you!

Whitten

The Hasselblad webinar recommends Hasselblad RGB as the best colourspace for most people. They only recommend L RGB for people doing critical copying - museums etc...

tenmangu81

The best choice, recommended by Hasselblad team, is to select "Source" when you export as a TIFF. In that case, you get Hasselblad RGB as colour space. If it's not in the options, you have to create a new output preset.
Robert

NickT

Quote from: SaraBMay on November 19, 2023, 01:41:16 PM
I find that when I export from Phocus as a TIFF, I don't have the option to choose Hasselblad L* RGB or even Hasselblad RGB as the output profile— only the options of

Hasselblad 330 Skel 30K75
Hasselblad 350 Skel 30K90
Hasselblad Rec.709

There are many other options of course, including the usual PP RGB and Adobe RGB, but I would prefer a Hasselblad profile, since Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop both recognize that. Is the best option to choose "source?" If not, which Hasselblad output profile should be chosen?

Thank you!

Hi Sara those are CMYK profiles for commercial offset printing.
Suggest you re-install Phocus which should also install the Hasselblad RGB profiles. If you have them installed make sure they are in your profiles folder in your user folder as well as the library folder.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

SaraBMay

Thanks, Nick. I re-installed Phocus, and still no Hasselblad RGB or L*RGB to choose from in Output Profiles. If I choose "source" as the output profile, I get Hasselblad RGB embedded in the file, which gets me halfway there, but I'd love to be able to get L*RGB as well. I'm not sure why it's not showing up in output profile options, even with "Show all Profiles" checked? All of my Epson ICC profiles are visible under output profile options, but the only Hasselblad profiles are the CMYK options I mentioned in my previous post. I know you mentioned looking in my profiles folder and the library folder, but I looked for a profiles folder in my User folder and in the Library folder and don't see one. Just the ColorSync folder and the profiles that are loaded there. Thanks so much for any insights!

JCM-Photos

To be able to get L* in the export file you have to first choose it as a working space during RAW treatment.

Whitten

I learned something from this discussion and ended up just choosing 'source'.

SaraBMay

Quote from: JCM-Photos on November 20, 2023, 06:26:06 PM
To be able to get L* in the export file you have to first choose it as a working space during RAW treatment.

Thanks for that--which brings me to: where in Phocus can I choose L*RGB as the working space? Or is it an in-camera option? When I check the menu to the right of the RGB values with the image pulled up, the only options are Input, Output, and Lab. Is there somewhere else this can be done? Thanks again!