Review of the PC Nikkor 28mm f3.5 shift-lens on Hasselblad X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

danord

The recent release of two tilt-shift lenses for the Fuji GFX-system has actualized the discussion around tilt-shift optics for Hasselblad X. I have used different solutions for movements through the years, from bellow cameras to the HTS and adapted, dedicated TS-lenses. One of the first lenses I adapted to my X1D years ago, was the PC Nikkor 28mm f3.5. It truly is a fun little lens to use, albeit with some optical limitations. I haven't seen many reviews of it on MF cameras, so I have made a real-life test of it on my X2D and written about it on my blog. Just a small heads up in case anyone would be interested.
nordhaugphotography.blog

Cheers
danord

Plancton06

Thank you for the detailed analysis of the Nikon 28m! Never thought about it, now I am tempted to get this lens, or the leica PC super angulon, also from film era.
Here in Norway there are a couple used ones in finn.com

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: danord on October 04, 2023, 06:45:36 AM
The recent release of two tilt-shift lenses for the Fuji GFX-system has actualized the discussion around tilt-shift optics for Hasselblad X. I have used different solutions for movements through the years, from bellow cameras to the HTS and adapted, dedicated TS-lenses. One of the first lenses I adapted to my X1D years ago, was the PC Nikkor 28mm f3.5. It truly is a fun little lens to use, albeit with some optical limitations. I haven't seen many reviews of it on MF cameras, so I have made a real-life test of it on my X2D and written about it on my blog. Just a small heads up in case anyone would be interested.
nordhaugphotography.blog
Cheers
danord

Thanks for this -- I have three tilt/shift options I use on my X2D (and other backs) - HTS 1.5 and various HC/HCD lenses connected to the X2D vis an XH adapter and XH 0.8 converter. I like the fact that the HTS allows me to use electronic controls and the leaf shutters in the lens. This arrangement can also be used with H system extension and macro tubes as well. The options are many and so can the cost be. The disadvantage is that tilt and/or shift are only in one plane at a time.

Next - Cambo Actus View Camera and Actar and other manual lenses -- the advantage is one has more options to tilt/shift in multiple planes and directions at the same time - I can perform the classic double axis shift if I wish -- the disadvantage is that there is no electronic linkage/connection between lens and camera and so one is in Electronic Shutter and lenses have to have manual aperture control. While it is possible to use large or medium format lenses with a shutter this means the camera has to be set into bulb mode then the shutter used and then the camera shutter closed. Lots of chance for issues. AND of course MF/LF lenses with shutters (X or C) are not cheap

Next - adapt Nikkor or Canon PC-E lenses using a suitable F->X or Canon to X mount. I use the 24mm Nikkor PC-E lens and am vacillating over which variant of the 19mm I might use - the Nikkor version or one of the two CAMBO versions. OR wait to see what Nikkor T/S solutions emerge. I shoot both H and Nikon bodies.

AND of course there is other glass and adapters one can find and use, including new 3rd party solutions.

The trick is to understand the limits or size of the image circle on the glass you are using and how this constrains the amount of shift and/or tilt one can use without seeing the "edges" of the circle. I found the 24mm quite limited and the 19mm PC-E I tried larger hence my interest. Cambo Actar and other full sized MF (HC/HCD) or LF lenses tend to have much larger image circles but one has to check/discover.

Nice to see an older lens being used again. It looks like you had fun.

danord

Quote from: Plancton06 on October 04, 2023, 12:04:27 PM
Thank you for the detailed analysis of the Nikon 28m! Never thought about it, now I am tempted to get this lens, or the leica PC super angulon, also from film era.
Thanks for taking time to view and comment! I suspect the Leica/Schneider super angulon 28mm is better optically. And the price is of course different. I would think that the image circle is about the same as the PC Nikkor, so you would probably see somewhat restricted movements with that lens as well.
If anyone has experience with the super angulon on MF it would be nice if they could chime in!

danord

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on October 04, 2023, 10:39:54 PM
Quote from: danord on October 04, 2023, 06:45:36 AM
nordhaugphotography.blog
Cheers
danord

Thanks for this -- I have three tilt/shift options I use on my X2D (and other backs) - HTS 1.5 and various HC/HCD lenses connected to the X2D vis an XH adapter and XH 0.8 converter. I like the fact that the HTS allows me to use electronic controls and the leaf shutters in the lens. This arrangement can also be used with H system extension and macro tubes as well. The options are many and so can the cost be. The disadvantage is that tilt and/or shift are only in one plane at a time.

Next - Cambo Actus View Camera and Actar and other manual lenses -- the advantage is one has more options to tilt/shift in multiple planes and directions at the same time - I can perform the classic double axis shift if I wish -- the disadvantage is that there is no electronic linkage/connection between lens and camera and so one is in Electronic Shutter and lenses have to have manual aperture control. While it is possible to use large or medium format lenses with a shutter this means the camera has to be set into bulb mode then the shutter used and then the camera shutter closed. Lots of chance for issues. AND of course MF/LF lenses with shutters (X or C) are not cheap

Next - adapt Nikkor or Canon PC-E lenses using a suitable F->X or Canon to X mount. I use the 24mm Nikkor PC-E lens and am vacillating over which variant of the 19mm I might use - the Nikkor version or one of the two CAMBO versions. OR wait to see what Nikkor T/S solutions emerge. I shoot both H and Nikon bodies.

AND of course there is other glass and adapters one can find and use, including new 3rd party solutions.

The trick is to understand the limits or size of the image circle on the glass you are using and how this constrains the amount of shift and/or tilt one can use without seeing the "edges" of the circle. I found the 24mm quite limited and the 19mm PC-E I tried larger hence my interest. Cambo Actar and other full sized MF (HC/HCD) or LF lenses tend to have much larger image circles but one has to check/discover.

Nice to see an older lens being used again. It looks like you had fun.

Thanks for taking time to view and comment, Andy!
Back in the LF film-days I was totally dependent on movements, so when I converted to FF digital in mid 2000's I felt somewhat restricted. By now, my interest for movements is slowly coming back, and as you point out, we have a few different options. I like using the HTS on my H-system, but I have never really grown comfortable with it on the X. Optically its great, but ergonomically I don't enjoy the process very much. For whatever reason.
My hope is that Hasselblad will bring out a couple of TS-lenses for the X. Something like a 24-28mm and a 45-50mm? I'll put it right next to a 20-35mm zoom on my wish-list ;D XCD TS-lenses would be terribly expensive, but I still have two kidneys intact and I guess I could get by with only one....

danord

marcwilson

Hey Danord,

I used that same lens for my work ''Remnants' where I chose to work with a small digital set up over 5x4.

https://www.marcwilson.co.uk/work/remnants

Attached to my Leica M240.
Worked very well as a light shift set up..(with some optical limitations as you describe). I do love the shift mechanism of this lens...a simple push that just stays where it should....beautiful.

I'm most likely to go the HTS route on my 1dx2 though :)

Best,
Marc

danord

Quote from: marcwilson on October 05, 2023, 02:51:53 AM
Hey Danord,

I used that same lens for my work ''Remnants' where I chose to work with a small digital set up over 5x4.

Worked very well as a light shift set up..(with some optical limitations as you describe). I do love the shift mechanism of this lens...a simple push that just stays where it should....beautiful.

Best,
Marc

Lovely work! I really like the consistency of the series, which partly may be due to working with that one lens. And I can definitely see the advantages of using a shift lens for these images, and particularly such a lightweight, easy to use lens like the PC Nikkor. Goes to show that a lens should not be discarded based on age and some optical limitations only. Thanks for sharing.

danord

marcwilson

My pleasure and thank you. I generally work with a single lens on each of my projects, wether 5x4, 35mm, medium format, film / digital. I work hard for the weather conditions / light also of course :)

Usm

Quote from: danord on October 05, 2023, 12:32:47 AM
Quote from: Plancton06 on October 04, 2023, 12:04:27 PM
Thanks for taking time to view and comment! I suspect the Leica/Schneider super angulon 28mm is better optically. And the price is of course different. I would think that the image circle is about the same as the PC Nikkor, so you would probably see somewhat restricted movements with that lens as well.
If anyone has experience with the super angulon on MF it would be nice if they could chime in!
I tried the PC super angulon with the 907x. It is sharp in the center but looses on the edges with 0mm shift. With 10mm shift you will see hard vignetting on all four corners. I think that thee is also some vignetting from the shift mechanism. 5mm shift is ok, but cornes get really bad.

Usm

Quote from: marcwilson on October 05, 2023, 02:51:53 AM
Hey Danord,

Best,
Marc

I had the same combo - was great and light. Now I am on 907x and a Arca Swiss Faktum with Schneider 35mm XL.
What are your plans with the HTS?

marcwilson

Yeah for mountain working / walking in October / March weather it was great :)

On the 1dx2 I use the 45mm as it translates to the field of view I like.
42ish would be even better as I shoot to 5:4 ratio but it's close enough.

So with the HTS I'll be using it with the adaptor / H lens combo that gives me a focal length as close to 42mm as I can get...

My project I'm just starting on won't need shift but a 2nd one I might also be working on soon will.