Handle for H Lenses on X_D_ Follow Up

Previous topic - Next topic

Conner999

I was asked to post pics of a Sony (Smallrig) handle with shutter/record release I modified for using longer H glass on an X series or GFX.

The idea is to modify a (wooden) handle with a shutter/record button (in this case designed for Sony) to mount on the foot of a GFX/X series H glass adapter to shift the CoG forward and letting the GFX/X act as a counterweight to H glass - a la the DB does on an H.

While I no longer use it (moving to Sony A1 as primary body - stay tuned in B&S) I designed this for the GFX-H adapter, but it works on the X adapter as well (with some tweaks). As far as the camera is concerned it's connected to the simple Hassy one-button shutter release.

The images below show it with the XH collar and it can be used with both the XH and the sweet, sweet, 0.8XH.

Note: before anyone has a heart attack re: the small square Arca foot shown, these pics was cobbled together for illustrative purposes only and I was too lazy to rotate the clamp (see later).  In real life you'd use a rectangular arca plate on the collar with stop-pins to prevent an accidental disconnect of the clamp. You'd then rotate the clamp via the Ari Rosette (see below) on the handle to get the hand/collar angle you desire.

The modifications to the handle were simple and took maybe 30 minutes using left-overs from various MacGyvering over the years:
----------------------------
-Unscrew the metal plate on the side of the inside of handle as well as the button, remove the Sony electronics and multi-pin Sony cable from the both.
-Feed a coiled cable with a stereo 3.5mm* phono plug thru the handle and solder leads to red button for shutter.

*The cable shown has a 2.5mm phono (being designed for the GFX), but it works perfectly when a 2.5mm - 3.5mm stereo adapter (orange tape in pic)

-The thumb switch glued to the inside of the handle uses the 3rd contact to trigger AF on the GFX (or anything thing else you care to).  Not needed for X series.

-Drill two holes and mount an Ari Rosette (a MUST have to allow rotation of the handle for comfort) base to the metal plate on the handle.
-Bolt a small arca clamp to the camera-side of the Ari Rosette
-Drill a hole thru the handle (middle hole shown) to screw in the hex-head bolt needed to mount and rotate the Ari Rosette with a hex key.

This unit is still setup for the GFX, so the plug contacts are wired incorrectly for an X.  On the GFX, the red button triggers shutter, the thumb switch AF. On the X1D2, the red button does SFA and the thumb switch triggers the shutter ;> Simple solder fix, but no longer use it, so...

It ain't elegant, but it work and the handle is VERY comfortable and feels locked to your hand. If making your own, I HIGHLY recommend a handle one with the thumb brace.

Obviously if making your own you could take measures to move the handle closer to, or further away from, the collar's foot to get the balance as desired. The Arca plate and clamp i used do add some distance between the centre of the lens and your hand.

Drawbacks
----------
-Effort/cost
-Limited quick access to controls on camera. All you have by your shooting hand is a simple shutter trigger.  Your hand is shifted forward and accessing any controls other than shutter is no longer a thumb-shift away.

Conner999

No f'ing idea why the images so distorted upon upload, but they'll give you the idea.