New lenses on X1D - 28P

Previous topic - Next topic

polarphoto

Will new lenses like 28P and 38V, 55V work on the original X1D? If I don't remember wrong it was needed a new firmware for X1D when 45P was introduced?
Borealis

Zuazua

I will check. 4116 has new firmware. Lens does not ship until October 1 (Adorama.com).
When I get it, I will tell you
https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/lenses/xcd-28p

polarphoto

Borealis

o2mpx

B&H is shipping, just got notice.

polarphoto

I got an answer from Hasselblad - it was short - yes it will work with X1D (original).
Borealis

JCM-Photos

Thank you for this information.

This X1D compatibility means that the 28P has the same shutter system as the 45P, very different to the original XCD shutters coming from the H lenses and made by Hasselblad in Sweden.

It's for Hasselblad a big improvement of manufacturing logistics. The XCD shutters made in Sweden had to be sent to Japan for lens integration, finished lenses sent as bulk to Sweden for individual final quality check and boxing.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Not very happy !

I have documented the compatibility of the XCD28P with the X1D. There is a strong color (magenta) cast at the edges, and even the last version of Phocus doesn't help. Except if you make a "Scene calibration" (LCC), by shooting a uniform white or grey background for each aperture and focus distance, and use it to this purpose. Once it has been done, you can use the corresponding preset(s) to correct your images from this colour cast. It works quite well. I have done it.

Within Lightroom, it's a little bit more complicated as you must use your casted grey image for processing any file and you obtain then a DNG. But this one-time correction can't be saved and used as a preset. I have done it too.

With the X2D, there are no such issues, as the files are in-body corrected.

So, I have asked Hasselblad to provide a new firmware for the X1D in order to correct the colour cast of the XCD28P. I've got an answer : it's simply that they don't plan to upgrade the firmware of any camera earlier than the X2D !!

Which means that the X1D II, which was the running MF 33x44 camera only 13 months ago, can't be upgraded for future lenses.... Well done, Hasselblad ! They bring a new lens and don't give any update for a 2 years old camera to use this lens....

I am surprised by this policy.

That's all, folks !
Robert

Georg Kovalcik

At least they should state that the 28p is only compatible with the X2D then. I assume it would have the same problem on the 907x as well.

fotofool

This is shocking.  As an owner of the X1D mkII, and six XCD lenses, this is existential for me.  If this is really DJI's policy toward owners of Hasselblad branded products I'm going to liquidate and move on rather than upgrade.

SrMi

Quote from: Georg Kovalcik on October 27, 2023, 08:12:32 AM
At least they should state that the 28p is only compatible with the X2D then. I assume it would have the same problem on the 907x as well.
Is that true? Are there any issues after processing the raw with Phocus?

tenmangu81

Yes. If you don't create and apply a "Scene calibration", the magenta cast is awful. Even with the last Phocus version, which takes into account the XCD28P (for vignetting and distorsion only, however).
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 27, 2023, 09:35:35 PM
Yes. If you don't create and apply a "Scene calibration", the magenta cast is awful. Even with the last Phocus version, which takes into account the XCD28P (for vignetting and distorsion only, however).
Thanks.That's a bummer. X1D II had an update for the new V lenses, but not for the 28P lens.
The magenta cast is probably not corrected in X2D as the BSI sensor does not need it.

Summicron

I am confused... So, the 28P is having this problem with the X1D only, or with the X1Dii with latest firmware as well?

tenmangu81

I have checked with the X1D II, and the issue is there. Thus, probably for the X1D, too.
Robert

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on October 27, 2023, 11:19:40 PM
Thanks.That's a bummer. X1D II had an update for the new V lenses, but not for the 28P lens.
The magenta cast is probably not corrected in X2D as the BSI sensor does not need it.

Could be. But it is very surprising for HB to release such a lens in "genuine" version, I mean, which is so bad that it needs BSI and/or in-body correction. This policy is very different from the first XCD lenses, which were excellent by themselves without any camera (or almost).
Robert